IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried coffee grounds, vinegar and Mrs have tried couple other home remedies to keep em out of our garden beds but hasn't helped. Anybody have some fool proof suggestions and help me out. Just as it cuz of no sun, its slow but digging plants root to bury peanuts which my dum-b neighbor feeds em my hand. At 70 plus age...for the well being of critter and yourself, ppl should understand to leave critters alone..but the false do gooder impulse and how to look cool in society has permanently screwed some ppl up. Anyhoo..I can't change him..but if sonebody has suggestions that can help, I'll be very thankful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Try some mouse traps covered with grass.

Reactions: teeterstodd01

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Some one in our area released RABBITS!

We know of there are at least 3 of these little buggers.
They are devouring everything.
Getting a live trap today and will trap to relocate.

It's almost too late to get much started in the garden for this season..

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Yep rat rated snap traps will take care of em. Have a big prob in a few of our projects with squirrels eating/chewing on irrigation heads. A few residents have been finding good results with the rat traps

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,286 Posts
A 'friend' deals with them like this

Crab bait cage nailed to the tree directly in front of the front door. Pellet gun barrel and scope fits in spy hole in the door. Hot melt glue walnuts together and place in bait cage. The squirrel will work hard to 'free' a walnut. And make enough noise to get noticed. "pop" goes the squirrel.

Me I think the Squirrel catapult is genius. Here's an example from you tube. Be warned this is definitely an Alice in wonderland rabbit hole as far as youtube goes.

• Haha
Reactions: RJBender and killaz

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 'friend' deals with them like this

Crab bait cage nailed to the tree directly in front of the front door. Pellet gun barrel and scope fits in spy hole in the door. Hot melt glue walnuts together and place in bait cage. The squirrel will work hard to 'free' a walnut. And make enough noise to get noticed. "pop" goes the squirrel.

Me I think the Squirrel catapult is genius. Here's an example from you tube. Be warned this is definitely an Alice in wonderland rabbit hole as far as youtube goes.

That is epic! The child in me is calling me. I need to get my kid in cobfidence on this ....so if Mrs sees it ....I can blame him
Zero reason to be cruel. They are just trying to live like the rest of us.
Sure. Can you help me with them not digging holes right at the root of veggie plants so my plants can survive as well

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pellet gun is pretty effective. Never ending supply of targets.
I thought of it but I live in Portland. No cops for criminals but if a neighbor tells them that I popped few squirrels, there might be 4 squad cars on my door..and me on TV. Not to mention the PETA loving poser crowd might march to my door as well.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I've tried coffee grounds, vinegar and Mrs have tried couple other home remedies to keep em out of our garden beds but hasn't helped. Anybody have some fool proof suggestions and help me out. Just as it cuz of no sun, its slow but digging plants root to bury peanuts which my dum-b neighbor feeds em my hand. At 70 plus age...for the well being of critter and yourself, ppl should understand to leave critters alone..but the false do gooder impulse and how to look cool in society has permanently screwed some ppl up. Anyhoo..I can't change him..but if sonebody has suggestions that can help, I'll be very thankful.

What do they harm, burying peanuts ?
It's better than cats diggin' and poopin' in your garden.
Peanuts don't stink.

My first thought was to plant something smelly that they don't like, Marigolds for instance.

They do like strawberries, eggplant and beet greens....this I know for certain.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,577 Posts

I am on a gardening Facebook page. Some people have had success with Dollar Tree/General whatever store metal wastebaskets. They are metal mesh. Put upside down over the starts. Big rock on top or tent stake them down.

Reactions: piscean

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do they harm, burying peanuts ?
It's better than cats diggin' and poopin' in your garden.
Peanuts don't stink.

My first thought was to plant something smelly that they don't like, Marigolds for instance.

They do like strawberries, eggplant and beet greens....this I know for certain.

I would let em dig as long as they don't dig the roots. Green/Red pepper plants...peas, beans..and tomatoes...for some reason they bring roots out and plants start to looking droopy. If I don't cover em up and water again, they get back to ok..but now the sun's gonna show up..I'm worried exposed roots in sunlight won't stand chance. I personally don't mind em as long as they dig 4 inches away from roots. I might need to leave a ruler in my garden beds...and a humble request..lol
I am on a gardening Facebook page. Some people have had success with Dollar Tree/General whatever store metal wastebaskets. They are metal mesh. Put upside down over the starts. Big rock on top or tent stake them down.
I might just buy chicken wire with small mesh and cover em all up.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Build a frame from 1x6 cedar fence boards, the same dimensions as your raised bed. Staple hardware cloth to the top of the frame. Place frame over bed. By the time the plants are tall enough to hit the hardware cloth they should be big enough to survive squirrel harassment.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
They are hungry. Can not be trained. Kill them. Them or having a garden.

Live traps are NOT RIGHT !!!!!!! Then you dump them on someone else !! You are WORSE than the animals !!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts