IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did something I hadn't done before and it payed off. In response to a post from an fellow ifisher who stated that he wanted to learn some new ways to springer fish that he hadn't experienced before (AKA as looking for a seat)I extended an invite to do a little deep water trolling on the Willamette last Saturday.

I met Woody at my boat moorage at 5:30 and set out to try and pull a late May springer out of the mid river. We ran from Sellwood up to Hog Island and proceded to do the down river troll. Pulled some custom prawn spinner rigs most of the way down. Marked alot of fish but no biters. I had been straight with my new fishing partner and explained that the bite had not been to good over the last week with the water warming to near 60 degrees, there were no sure things today. About the time we hit Milwaukie it was time to change one of the rods. I gave Woody the option to keep fishing a prawn or switch to a spinner or a herring with a twist. He choose the herring and it proved to be the right choice. 15 minutes after the change his rod takes a vicious bend toward the water. Since my back was to the rod all I had to do was look at the expression on Woodys face to know it was time to dance.

Anyway to make a short story long, Woody fights the fish like a champ and after a 10 minute battle it's in the net. The smile on his face made the morning. He then told me that it was his first ever spinger !

The moral of the story is.....I met a great guy that I didn't know before that morning. Hot coffee, good conversation, and got to be involved with someones first springer ( always a special fish). They do bite in May.

Check out the smile

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
and the beer man is at it again.... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Pearl,

Argh...herring...I was hoping bait days were over...but being desperate...guess I'll have to get some herring and give it a go.

Thanks for the good news. How deep were you?

Brion

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I couple of weeks ago I posted a request for an open seat. I guy can only learn so much from reading and studying about fishing, kinda like watching golf on TV. I needed some hands on experience. I was really hesitant at first to "beg" for a boat trip, but after seeing what a friendly place this was, I thought I'd give it a shot. Before I knew it, I had two bites.

The first was from sourdough. We met at Clackamette Saturday before last. Doug is a really great teacher and a nice guy. He went out of his way to explain all of the details of the terminal gear and techniques we were using. I learned about back trolling eggs w/ prawns, rigging a kwikfish with a sardine fillet, and how to rig a herring. But alas, no fish. Nobody was getting getting any bites that day, at least from what we could see. We even tried switching to shad. I could tell he felt bad but I told him that I considered the day a success if I looked at it from a "seminar" point of view.

The next weekend I met pearl at his boat moorage at O' dark thirty :sleep: Off we went on to the Willy. He told me, and of course I already knew, the bite was off because of the warming water, and there were no guarantees. No problem, I thought, I've got a thermos full of coffee and the weather is great. :cool: I'll just enjoy the day cruising around the river with my new pal. Like pearl said in his post we trolled prawns on one of his custom rigs for most of the day. He then suggested that we try herring with a flasher. Within 1/2 hour or so, I saw the rod tip bend a little, then a little more, then BAM....OH CRAP, "uh, Steve I think I've got a fish!!!" The entire time I was fighting the fish, all I could think was" just don't do anything stupid and bust this thing off!!" With his expert coaching, a ten minute fight and my first Nook was in the boat. Wow, what a feeling, just look at my stupid grin, that didn't go away ALL DAY.

Thanks again guys. Because of what I learned from both of you, and ifish, I'm sure that wont be my last. And maybe next time the blood will be in my boat.

[ 05-28-2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Woody ]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
And another ifish friendship is born. I have to say i have met some great fishing buds on this board. Thanks Jennie and the members.

·
Registered
676 Posts
great job pearl and big congrads to woody fo you first,,and by the way woody thanks for the input about doing the bottom of my drift boat,,,,,,sould be back in the action in a few more days

·
Registered
491 Posts
good for you wood!i am happy for you.nice smile too.i haven't been online for 3 days and just read the good news :grin: :grin: you and mrs. V will be eating good now.NS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts