IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a rumor that the Columbia was re-opening for springers this weekend. Anyone else hear of it?? Looked on the ODFW site and saw nothing. Just curious!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Administrator
41,373 Posts
I think the date is June 16.

See the thread with the ODFW announcement HERE.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Yesterday, I recieved an email from the odfw stating the Columbia river was opening on June 16th. Today I received an Email from The guides forecast stating that Late Wednesday night the ODFW, and WDFW decided to open the Columbia up for the Summer run on Friday June 5th. Has anyone else read or heard this. You can read this yourself at

http://www.theguidesforecast.com

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Im sorry that is Friday June 6th.

·
Administrator
41,373 Posts
I think TGF may have it wrong ... ODFW's news release say June 16th.
ODFW News Release

For Immediate Release
May 28, 2003

Summer Chinook Season Opens June 16 in Columbia River

PORTLAND — With a second year of good summer chinook returns, Oregon and Washington fishery managers decided today to open a summer chinook sport fishery in the Columbia River June 16.

Biologists estimated earlier this year that 87,600 adult summer chinook will enter the Columbia River this year, which would be the second largest run since 1969. In 2002, 129,000 summer chinook entered the Columbia in June and July.

Last year was the first time the Columbia River was open to summer chinook fishing since 1973. Historically, summer chinook were known as "June hogs" because of their large size.

The season adopted today allows angling for adipose fin-clipped summer chinook and adipose fin-clipped steelhead June 16 — July 31, 2003, from the Tongue Point/Rocky Point line near Astoria upstream to the U.S. Highway 395 Bridge near Pasco, Wash. The daily bag limit is two adult adipose fin-clipped salmon or steelhead and five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon. All other permanent angling rules apply, as printed in the 2003 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations.

The fishery will be managed to allow 85,000 summer chinook to pass Bonneville Dam during the period of June 1 — July 31. In addition, mangers will monitor the catch to ensure that impacts to wild summer chinook are limited to less than 1.0 percent of the total run. Wild summer chinook destined for the Snake River are listed as threatened under the federal Endangered Species Act.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts