IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have an idea and want to get some opinions:

First, I would like to suggest that each team donate $5.00 to help cover some of the expenses and any balance remaining be donated to Ifish.

Second, how about having two catagories?
one for the most clipped fish kept by weight and one for the most fish landed by length. (pretty easy to measure the fish in the water). I don't know aobut the rest of you but for me 80% of the fun is hunting out the fish, getting the bite, sticking the fish and then the first few runs. After that most of the excitement is gone and after all, the skill is in hooking and catching the fish not keeping them. The fact that the fish is clipped or not is pure luck and although important I think this second catagory will add to the fun. I know that it opens up the opportunity for someone to stretch the truth a little as there will be no fish for proof, but my response to that is if that's the way somebody wants to win, then let um, it will be meaningless if thats what they have to do to win. OK..... Comments?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Fishbait...I think those are good ideas, but one of the difficulties in this is finding a way to keep it simple and avoid potential conflict. The other issue is finding a way to make the playing field level. By utilizing a 'average weight per person per boat, it keeps it measurable and allows smaller groups to participate without being penalized.(or even those fishing from the bank) This could be done with length, also, but again this adds a level of complexity.

Personally, I don't really care who 'wins'. Its just for fun and braggin' rights. :cheers: But, by keeping it to those fish that show up at weigh in (clipped only), it avoids conflict. :argue:

As far as the donation goes, I believe that is where things get a little wierd, as no money can be exchanged or it will be a 'tournament', thus illegal without being sanctioned/permitted. I am sure we can find a way to offset the costs by bringing other goodies (such as dishes to share) or something like that. Or perhaps donating an item to the awards (or auction items if we are going to be doing that).

I try to keep a pretty low expectation for these, its just another excuse to fish and hang out with some good folks. :cool: I really appreciate KHH and the others for putting this on, as it is no easy task. :applause:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm all for it Steve, but I'd be in favor of making it $10 per, not 5 and hopfully a larger "balance" will make it's way to ifish. After all, it's this great site that help to enable great outings like this one and all the great new friend we've all met along the way.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Steve you're working today? :whazzup: :shrug: You did'nt call in sick :sick: :shrug:. What's wrong with you man? You guys are my idols. I live vicariously through your adventures. I feel so let down this morning. :depressed:

I think your idea is a good one but ya better clear it through Jennie first. It may be looked upon as a santioned event by ifish if money is involved. Don't really know all the ramifications but I am sure she does.

Bernie

·
Administrator
119,501 Posts
Please, do not charge money, and do not give away 'sponsor' sorts of prizes.
All prizes should be frivilous and fun, rather than rods/reels, etc...or it will be considered a tournament. We will not only lose the direction of them, which should be "fun and friendly fishing", but also the right to do them.
Let's stay away from anything but friendly smack talking competition.
Ifish can not get involved in tournaments.
Leave those to the pros. :smile:
Tournament fishing has stringent rules in Oregon, and I want no part of that! :angel1:

Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
Come on I'm with Jennie it is for fun. lets keep it how it has been and not try and change things up

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Ryan, now don't be hard on Steve, he was only trying to come up with a fresh idea for all to enjoy. Personally if it were not for the liability problems that a tourny like this produces for a sponcer I'd be all for it. Steve I liked your idea bro but Jennie has made it plain and clear in the past that she does not want the responsibility or liability that comes with the big prizes.

Appreciate your idea though Steve. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, no contributions, none, nada.

But how about the total fish catagory by length divided by number of team members. Clipped and non clipped. Just measure the non clipped still in the water.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I live vicariously through your adventures. I feel so let down this morning. :depressed:

Bernie
C&E-

I drove by the shop yesterday, it looked like your wife brought the boat out to ya, didn't you go? :shrug:

I thought for sure you Pops and Shaggy were out giving the springers a nice :smash: on the head on such a great day.

Good fishing,
Chris :cool:

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
Sorry if I sound like I was being harsh I just think things are great just they way they are a bunch of friends getting together for some fishing and fun. That and to see KHH come to the BBQ skunked :shocked: hehe

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i believe KHH is planning on doing something like what bobby did for the steelhead challenge thing...i would suggest a no obligation donation from the folks of $1-5.... to cover any out of pocket expenses for the challenge .....just my .02 cents..... :angel1:

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Well, pardon me for not knowing, 'cause I've never been in a "challenge" but on the steelhead challenge didn't they include released wilds?

The method is pretty simple, keep fish in water, use a piece of fishing line to mark length, snap pic (in water)release. Measure string after fish is swimming away.

The pic should be in water, not held or in the net. (like laying near the surface) I saw a post from the channel about a week ago that was a great example but couldn't find it in the uploads.

Whatever you guys want to do.

As far as "donations", they should be voluntary, but I plan to donate to the guy doin all the work. (maybe a bottle of Kentucky's best)

Thanks KHH.

It's your show, your decision. It's all good. :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts