IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question to see what other ifishers think. Been using 2/0 owners on my backbouncing rigs for springers lately. Can't complain too much, but I've been wiffing a few fish. 7-8 takes, line coming off, SWING and a miss. Wanted to know if anyone thought upgrading to 4/0 or 5/0 hooks would solve that problem.

Previously I've noted a lot more fish would drop the bait after just a take or two with larger hooks. They seem to take it really well with a smaller hook buried in a glob of eggs. Just looking for that happy medium. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Ben, I was using 5/0 hooks this season and the fish really did not have a problem swallowing it. Only had one day that we crackered 4 fish of and that was with Ramstrong. Kinda figured we were dealing with an anti-mojo thing with Ryan though as he had been out with BOE a few times for springers. :wink: But we did prevail that day and got three in the boat. :grin:

I do know some guides use small quarter size baits and 3/0 hooks but we did just fine with big baits and big hooks. With the water much more clear now small baits and hooks would work better. You are on the right track Ben. You are a fish killing machine. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bernie,

Clearly this is a case of BOE bad springer mojo being contagious. Cause my buddy Cody, who I've been fishing with, fished with Ryan, who fished with Roy. You aren't just fishing with someone, you're fishing with every other person that person has fished with. Thanks a lot Roy. They got a shot for that now? :wink:

I'll probably try some 3/0 and 4/0 as well this week to see what's up. Plenty of opportunities. Just gotta work around that finals schedule. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
I think I am getting a reputation :wink: Gonna have to quit fishing down by the boat ramp. :grin:

Use to be a fisherman could just go drown a worm without a worry, but now days he needs protection. :hoboy:

I have seen you fish Ben, I think a smaller hook would fit better. :wink: I am sure the hook you need is not in the 'ot series but rather a double digit hook size. :tongue: Maybe a size 14 worm hook.

Bernie,

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
5/0 hooks are great when they are agressive biters. I have dropped clear down to 2/0 with smaller baits and even used #1 trailer or "stinger" hooks. Made a big difference on some days. The biggest thing is letting them eat. Once they get stuck by the point, they should stay stuck as long as you don't go slack. Maintain soft contact till they really start to fight then just a quick pop to get them past the barb.

I've seen some very, very good back bouncers that never even give the pop, just point the rod at em till they peel line, then gently lift as the fish starts to fight and there you are.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have been running 5/0 all spring and usually do fo rspringers. Will drop down to a 3/0 maybe if I go to smaller baits, but generally stick with the bigger hooks. I think Fishbait hit it right on this one.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
OH BROTHER!!! :sleep: :hoboy: Did I mention that Ryan was deperate enough to swallow his pride and take a handoff? :tongue: Not that there was anything wrong with that at all but when a fish is stripping line as you hand it to a buddy it is then the buddies responsibility to bring home the bacon.
Talk about whinning, shezz Ryan we should not only get some cheeze but maybe some crackers to go along with that whine. :grin:

Not only that but I heard that there was some serious wiffing going on in Coots boat too! Not to start a rumor or anything but....... :rolleyes:

All kidding aside Ryan you are welcome on the CATCH AND EAT boat anytime partner. Hope all is well with the wee one. Nothing like diaper duty. :grin:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ryan,

Lack of dedication! Don't even start with me. I've heard the whole story about the "wiffer brothers" on the last day of the season. :hoboy: Oh I think I know exactly who I'm calling after every fish tomorrow. Enjoy work. :tongue:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Right now Ryan's idea of work is playing captain Poopy pants with the wee one at home. "Oh Ryan, the baby is poopy and she needs you. :sick: :shocked: Ryan! Ryan!! Ryan!!!!!!!! Yes, honey the wee little lass needs a chang'in me love. Can ya handle it my sweet?
" "YES DEAR, IT'S CAPTAIN POOPY PANTS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!" :cool: :cheers:

Ah.....but the wee one is worth aye scout? :grin:

·
Registered
626 Posts
The hardest thing to learn in my opinion is you need to let them hang themselves. Once they start on a gob of eggs they seldom stop, point the rod at em' and let it really load up. When they are pulling line you don't need to set very hard.

4/0 or 3/0 even in clear water.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Bernie, I didn't tell you yet, but I've got a job in Tigard. I guess I need to change the signature. It sure is rough going back to work after that long layoff.

Besides, the Navy stuff is still chugging along. I topped 90 on the ASVAB and passed my physical. Now I just have to wait on waivers, then I get to talk to the detailer about where I get to live for the next 3 years. That should put me in TPU at Bremerton in September. Just in time for the humpies at Hoodsport. Time to dust off the 6wt.

Ben you'd be welcome to call me after every fish. But then you'd need my work #. I haven't given it to Cody yet. I'm sure I'll get the report one way or the other, I chatted with him tonight. Just have fun harassing those dark fish :grin: I guess dark ones need loving too. :wink:

PS Bernie, you wait until Coho season. Then I'll teach you a thing or two about farming fish off. For some reason out on the salt sometimes I get into some nasty streaks of losing fish. It'd be sad if there weren't so many fish out there. I guess every fish I lose is a native that needs to be released. Yeah a native, that's it.

PPS on Coots boat, the only fish I lost was when a duolock decided to give up on me during a hookset. Other than that, it was sheer carnage.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Birdhunter,

Get rid of the trout hooks :wink: I use 5/0 mostly, will go to 6/0 sometimes. Big fish, big hooks. my 0.02 worth My best bud who is on his 5th hatchery card uses 6/0 only, go fuigure.... Seriously, why not use a 5/0 or 6/0, just gives you better chance of sticking them if they don't swallow it. What have you got to loose except freezer space? :cheers:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Roy! :laugh:
:cheers:

I'm with Fishbait on this one. Ben, good luck on finals. :smile:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
My goodness, what is this? Six degrees of seperation. What you neglect to mention, bird boy, is that Cody and I had no problems sticking fish. Mr, I have to go to class. Man, who skips the last weekday of springer fishing above I5 to go to class. That's obviously where the funk comes from. Lack of dedication.

Now catch and whiff, I know you're still sticking to your guns. But there was no fish on that rod when I received it.
At least is was an equal opportunity cracker day. Everyone missed fish.
I was using 3/0 hooks and I finally figured I needed to let the fish really eat it. About the time the fish had already digested the eggs and was trying to pass the hook out the pooper is when I set. That fish wasn't going anywhere. :wink:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Save a bunk for me for pinks Ryan. Those things are a blast on light tackle.Glad you found something to do. Sarah was getting tired of seeing your mug 24-7. :wink: Let me know when you cast off. Will try to get you on the salt before you go.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh Ryan,

You must get ahold of Cody. He not only forgot his cell, but also informed me he only had your home number. Too bad, too bad. I think the two of you are in cahoots. Not to worry, he got his.

4/0's look really good, but same problem I'd been having. Springers drop them after a few pumps. Not even a chance to swing and wiff. But all is not lost, your fishy hero was limited out by 8:30. :grin:

Dark fish... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
'tweren't Cody's boat nor did he row much. Kinda tough after a hard night out. Besides, that's my river. You ever get some time off I'll show you the ropes and take you on one of my guided trips too. You can even fish your snoopy rod.

My hero:

Anyone else notice how quickly an otherwise informative thread deteriorates whenever BOE and his lackies jump in? :tongue:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
:laugh: :grin: Just don't say my name in the same sentence as Roy's please. I heading to the ocean and certainly don't want that to ruin the fishing. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts