IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
King asked sportsmen to consider a regulation that does not allow fish to be removed from the water prior to being released.

Some sportsmen net non-clipped spring chinook, flop them in their boats, remove the hook and return the salmon to the river instead of leaning out the boat and taking out the hook.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ditto that for non fin clipped coho in the ocean also! Ditto that for all wild fish.

I try not to net any wild fish if possible. But at least that regulation in the ocean would keep the body slammers from slam dunking coho on their deck. :wink:

Right on Steve! :cheers:

[ 08-25-2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Administrator
119,650 Posts
Perhaps someone is listening to us... regarding the non removal law.

It's like that in Alaska, you know. Why wouldn't it be that way, here? No one needs to remove them from the water, period.

I hope that that takes effect, and soon.

Wild fish belong in the water.

Jen

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
The rule is non-removal in Puget Sound for fish to be released. It's a comin'.

Great to see another year of good fishing staring us in the eye.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My wife and I noticed this quite a bit out by the bridge yesterday. Most guys didn't even look at the fish, just netted it and threw it in the boat to see what it was. I think outside of a couple other boats the only people checking the fish in the water were the guides.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I check all of mine in the water. The only time they come in the boat, is if they are keepers, or the hook is so buried that I have to do surgery.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is good to see the optomistic forecast for springers next year.

I would welcome some regulation changes also.

A friend of mine got information from Bob Buckman at the Salmon River meeting yesterday for regulation change proposals. I'm going to follow through on that also and post it. Maybe Jenny or *** Clerk or someone else already knows the procedure.

Unfortunately I don't think anything could take place this side of 2005.

Dan

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
When are the meetings to decide how to split the season between us and the netters? We need to be there so we don't get short changed.

In 2002, the allocation plan worked fairly well, with the sportsmen harvesting 21,600 chinook and the commercials 14,200.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sportsmen fish from Feb-late June that is 5 months of fishing and all we end up with is 7,000 more fish than a 2 week netting cycle?!!

Jack Marincovich of the Columbia River Fisheries Protective Union, an Astoria-based commercial fishing group, called the harvest of 18,000 by the sportsmen and 3,200 by the commercials "out of balance.''
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">How about all the steelhead and sturgeon they killed at the same time? How out of balance was that? Sounds like another argument for harvesting salmon from the fish ladders at the dams.

Dan Grogan, president of Fishermen's Marine and Outdoor, a north Portland sporting goods store, said the restrictions on spring chinook fishing plus the closure of sturgeon fishing cost his store $500,000 in lost sales.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This was just 1 small chain with 2 locations! What impact did it have on Joes or the area as a whole?

[ 08-25-2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: fish_on ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I just wonder how all those high freeboard charters are going to comply???? :rolleyes:
Is the deck hand climbing over the side to make the release? :shocked:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Columbia River spring chinook are the among the finest salmon in the world. They spark 170,000 or more fishing trips in March, April and May between Astoria and Bonneville Dam. They also are prized by commercial fishermen, who get as much as $4 to $5 per pound for spring salmon.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Pretty funny that the netters get $4 to $5 a pound, but I can buy the same fish at Albertsons for $4 to $5 a pound. Apparently the fish brokers and Albertsons aren't making any profit (and are losing money because they have to transport, refrigerate, and package the fish).

Jack Marincovich of the Columbia River Fisheries Protective Union, an Astoria-based commercial fishing group, called the harvest of 18,000 by the sportsmen and 3,200 by the commercials "out of balance.''
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Apparently Jack fails to recognize the fact that the netters were shut down because they had killed their quota of wild fish. Fishing with hook and line we can be more selective about which fish we kill (yes I realize there is some hooking mortality).

It seems to me this article has some artistic license built in. I do agree with the leave the fish in the water philosophy, and I pray the runs are that good (or better).

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good question fish_on. I will get Steve King's email and maybe you can email him and see what you can find out. I'll post it here and email it to you.

Another good question Tilla. I haven't fished with the big boys this year but do know that Carl the deckhand on the Tacklebuster which is a 43' Delta is sliding his hand down the leader to the hook and removing them by hand because this guy cares. So it can be done.

Bill Monroe has mentioned in the past that some charters are building tools (de-hooker) that can access the hook from a distance. I used a gaff and that worked real well.

If they can't release a coho unharmed then it becomes similar to gill netting where they can't be selective in my opinion.

Some if not all of these "big boats" were releaseing up to 100+ non fin clipped coho a day and one of them told me he was killing an estimated 75% of his released fish. That's an aweful waste of our wild fish that are presently listed as threatened and I think it is past due to do something about it.

Dan

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
That is awesome to see good runs next year for the best tasting salmon around. I think it is a great idea about not netting/taking out of water the natives especially since the wind and drano will be clipped in the future. I must admit though i did net an unclipped fish last year cause there was a seal working close to my boat. It is just too bad they cant make the commercials do the same. Maybe they can revive the fishtraps for them.

I was on a charter this weekend with our church group out at the CR buoy and i was happy with the way they handled the natives this year. Most of the time they were checking before netting. They used the gaff typ dehooker to take the hooks out of the fish in the water. Last year they were not as native friendly. I think all our complaining has created awareness among the charters.

·
Registered
784 Posts
With the tolerance of fellow Team Moose Droolers [Mojo and Denali] I seem to be perfecting a technique of losing unclipped springers within a 20 ft. radius of the boat.
:rolleyes:

With their support I am hoping to perfect the technique of boating some hatchery stock in 2004 -that's if Fear No Fish lets any get by the McNary area. :grin:

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Tilla,when I worked on a salmon trawler,we just used the gaff hook. Just grab the line and get the curved part into the hook and lift up,fish gone. Worked real slick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts