IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**** USSA Press Release ****

President understands sportsmen are essential to wildlife conservation

August 17, 2007 - (National)

(Washington, D.C.) – An Executive Order issued by the President of the United States will spell more hunting opportunities and enhanced conservation efforts, according to the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, the nation’s premier sportsmen’s rights advocacy organization.

Today, President George W. Bush released the order, entitled “Facilitation of Hunting and Wildlife Conservation.” It directs all relevant federal agencies to facilitate the expansion and enhancement of hunting opportunities, wildlife management and habitat.

“The Executive Order is a great milestone for sportsmen and wildlife conservation,” said Bud Pidgeon, president and CEO of the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance. “It clearly demonstrates that the President understands the unbreakable bond between successful wildlife conservation and hunting - that sportsmen are the key to abundant wildlife and habitat.”

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance proposed that the White House issue an Executive Order on hunting early in President Bush’s first term, and again in 2007. The order, number 13,443, directs federal agencies that manage public land, outdoor recreation and wildlife management to:
  • Address declining trends and implement actions that expand and enhance hunting opportunities
  • Consider the economic and recreational value of hunting
  • Manage wildlife and habitat in a manner that expands and enhances hunting opportunities
  • Work collaboratively with states to manage wildlife in a manner that respects private property rights and state authority over wildlife
  • Establish goals with the states to foster healthy game populations
“The order gives federal agencies a clear-cut directive that they work to increase hunting opportunities with state wildlife agencies,” said Pidgeon. “It will result in more resources directed at preserving the future of hunting and greater access to public land. The President is to be commended.”

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance is a national association of sportsmen and sportsmen’s organization that protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.

Information on this website can be reprinted with a citation to the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and www.ussportsmen.org

For more information about how you can protect your rights as a sportsman, contact The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, 801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229. Phone (614) 888-4868. E-Mail us at [email protected]

· Registered
8,641 Posts
Re: Sportsmen Applaud President's Oder to Promote Hunting

Now if we could our govenor to do the same thing:clap: I read this earlier today it was a nice feel good thing not sure what will do but it is nice deal.

· Registered
940 Posts

CombinationLicense;1635395 [LIST said:
[*]Work collaboratively with states to manage wildlife in a manner that respects private property rights and state authority over wildlife[/LIST]
  • Establish goals with the states to foster healthy game populations
Good news!

I wonder if this will help Idaho get wolves off the endangered list and allow a hunting season on wolves.

· Banned
19,821 Posts

Well if the wildlife plan is anything close to the federal Columbia River salmon recovery plan, good luck.

· Banned
19,821 Posts
Federal plans are not necessarily political in nature, but rather special interest driven.
Seldom is the best interest of the resource considered, no matter who is in charge.

· Registered
8,641 Posts
I am not nocking this but what will it really do for us? Once a new president is voted in this will be forgotten won't it there is no law it is a feel good statement. I would like to see them make it a federal law that we can't lose our hunting rights:cheers:

· Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not nocking this but what will it really do for us? Once a new president is voted in this will be forgotten won't it there is no law it is a feel good statement. I would like to see them make it a federal law that we can't lose our hunting rights:cheers:

You're correct that an Executive Order can be changed by the next President. However, an Executive Order is a directive that agencies under the control of the President must follow while it's in effect. There was recently a big push by the Anti's to get hunting eliminated from many of the Federal Wildlife Refuges that fortunately failed. As long as this order is in effect it should keep that issue from rearing it's ugly head again. Also, It's not likely that any future President, from either major party, will rescind an Executive Order that addresses such a volatile issue. To do so would surely "tip their hand" and incur the wrath of many hunting/conservation groups nationwide.

:twocents:

"CL"

BTW - I have some pretty strong feelings on this issue but let's keep the partisan politics out of this thread so it stays open :cheers:

· Banned
19,821 Posts
You're correct that an Executive Order can be changed by the next President. However, an Executive Order is a directive that agencies under the control of the President must follow while it's in effect. There was recently a big push by the Anti's to get hunting eliminated from many of the Federal Wildlife Refuges that fortunately failed. As long as this order is in effect it should keep that issue from rearing it's ugly head again. Also, It's not likely that any future President, from either major party, will rescind an Executive Order that addresses such a volatile issue. To do so would surely "tip their hand" and incur the wrath of many hunting/conservation groups nationwide.

:twocents:

"CL"

BTW - I have some pretty strong feelings on this issue but let's keep the partisan politics out of this thread so it stays open :cheers:

I agree CL, I think this is good news for hunters, I'm just worried about the follow through.
Sportfishers are getting their rear ends handed to them over salmon recovery on the Columbia River.

· Registered
3,556 Posts
"This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right, benefit, trust responsibility, or privilege, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, instrumentalities, or entities, its officers or employees, or any other person.

GEORGE W. BUSH
THE WHITE HOUSE, August 16, 2007. "

Yeah, I'm all excited.

OC

· Registered
2,603 Posts
You beat me to this one. I can always tell the guys that really care about their hunting rights, because they recieve and post the USSA alerts.

· Registered
24,224 Posts
it is a beautiful thought, but to fund it is a very different beast. i just spent several days in country with perfect habitat for deer/elk with no water to support them. old guzzler that have not had a dime of maintenance spent on them by federal sources since installation. the letter is a very good thing, but lets see congress put some meat on the table to support it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.