IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped in Sportsmans Warehouse on Sat. to see what all the big commotion was about and was impressed at the variety and amount of items they had.Everything from soup to nuts and different colors too.Checked prices on a few things I had bought recently from Joes and they were the same.Now for the questionable things! The way they had their handguns displayed was kinda goofy,had they kinda on peg board hooks all stacked on top of each other.Sign said to make sure you ask for your box when purchasing a gun.Why not display 1 and leave they rest in boxes so they don't get nicked and scratched.Must be more logical minds than mine to understand that one.What I was really shocked to see was the large signs above the check out registers that said NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES AFTER 30 DAYS.Now I don't know about the rest of you but myself I have returned a lot of things to Joes and FM after 30,60 or 90 days or longer and they have stood by their merchandise and made it right in one way or another.Have broke rods after 1 year warranty was up a year ago and they took care of it.So if this is their return or exchange policy,think I will stick by the people that have taken of me in the past.They also have a long list of what they will not return at all no matter what,you bought it and it's yours no matter if its an hour later.Like ammo and reloading items.Which if you buy the wrong bullet weight ,whats the problem returning it for the right one?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
thanks for the write-up. I was curious about it myself and stopped in the other day. The one thing I did notice was the fantastic price for flies. They had a pretty good selection for $.89 a peice or if you bought more than a dozen they went to $.79 a peice. That's the best price I've seen so far.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
JCJ,

Speaking only for ammo, it is against the law for a store to take ammo back once it has been sold.

I am not saying it isn't done but technically, it is against federal law as I understand it. It has to do with safety and security.

Would you want to buy a box of '06 ammo that had been tampered with by some nut case?

[ 07-29-2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
wootersen,
Just an FYI, I bought a couple flies at FM last week and their price was the same; $.89 a piece.

You will not find a store (at least major chain) anymore that will exchange ammo.

I like Sportsmans very much but you have to look for the bargins.

JK

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hopefully they will keep more stock in. Seems like GI Joes gets the initial delivery, and never re-stocks that same item

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought a mess of them cheap trout flies from Sportsman's Warehouse. I have had a lot of problems with the hooks. They don't straighten completely but the gap opens enough to substantially increase the number of Long Distance Releases I experience. It took a while to figure out what was going on but I compared the fly I was using to a new one and I could see a marked difference in the hook gap. They work great on small fish waters, but I wouldn't trust them on the Deschuttes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You know the old saying "you get what you pay for". I had a friend that went to Montana on a fishing trip. The trip itself cost him good money so he figured he better go the budget route with flies from Sportsmans. Well, they all fell apart. He got about 3-6 casts per fly if was lucky. Needless to say he ran out of flies quickly and had to find a flyshop in town and get re-stocked.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I found Gamakatsu treble hooks at Sportsman's that I use all the time for $3.99 a box, regular price. FMS has them for $5.49 and they used to be $6.49 at FMS. Most of the stuff is similarly priced, but I like Sportsman's large selection.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
That place is something else,they've got everything EXCEPT the bullets,I wanted for my muzzleloader and I still ended up spending a $100.00 on fishing stuff,you know more spinner blades some secert Berkly power bait (trout) now all I've got to do is figure out how the carrot team gets it to that sticky consistancy that was in that picture :whazzup: some cleaning patches and just a bunch of stuff,my wife wasn't very happy(OOPS) :shrug:
but I will be back.Prices are about the same at Joe's and Fishermans but its still a great store
to go too_OH Yeah,anybody got a clue on how to make that power bait that thick or was that a joke picture ?? UH ?? :whazzup: or is that even the right stuff ZAK ???,I won't tell anyone
honest :grin:
Bob

[ 07-29-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Fishermans have donated hundreds of dollars to our kids camp, and are coming out to teach the kids to fish. Plus they usually price match, and the fishing selection is way better. SW is a cool store, but I will shop at FM 1st. Just my 2 cents ...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok for starters I would say never shop at SW. But as someone that has lived here most of there life. I will shop at FM. They have been here much longer than most of you know. They started out in the good old days selling to the commericial fisherman. In an old narrow bld. on columbia blvd. Most of you should stick with the local favorite. Support the people you live next too. And fish with........

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
I am sold on GI Joe's and Fisherman's. They have everything I need, plus I've just seen both of them support local events so strongly.

Fisherman's has a more home town approach, and GI Joe's has been very good to ifish. Both have fun people who work there, and I enjoy going in just to talk. :smile:

Call me old fashioned, but I've been treated well at these stores, and I'm sticking with what I know works. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The people at SW were very freindly, they had Get Bent's spinners, they had wobbler colors I had never seen. They employe many local Oregonians in both their locations and are more likely to add locations and people than FM. I have had troube with returns at FM, never at Joes, we'll see about SW. One thing I would like to see is a SW in the NW so I can get my stuff ASAP before leaving for the CR near PDX up the I5 PDQ in my boat without enough Hp. :grin:

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's my personal feeling that both fisherman's and Sportsman's don't care about customer satisfaction. Neither store will back the products they sell after 30 day's. If they truly cared about us as customers they would stand behind their merchandise and do the right thing. Customer satisfaction being the right thing. I feel that G.I Joe's takes care of me in this area. Little or no questions when returning items. R.E.I is another store that has earned my business. Same return policy for them, 100% satisfaction. Whenever I need to purchase an item other than a lure, fly or fishing line I always buy from one of these two Stores because of the hassel free return if ever there is one. I feel threatened by the signs in Sportsman's. Let's say I get a new sleeping bag for hunting as a birthday present. I don't use it till hunting season and find the stiching is bad or the zipper is broke. According to the return policy it is my responsibility to call the manufacturer to work out a return or exchange. I don't get the feeling the store will feel my pain and help me in my time of need. I will support those who support me. I hope there is someone who works at Fisherman's and Sportsman's that will read this and get the message. We the people have the power to bring about change. Every day we cast our vote by simply purchasing an item from one store instead of another. When this happens enough times things will change.

SPACE

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like Joe for it's return policy.
Plus Steve and Dough has been helpful.
Shopped at FM, could even get them to help me.
Made me feel like I didn't belong there.
Same thing with SW, I like the prices, but the feeling is not there. I'll pay some extra $$$ to know what I am getting and to having confident that I can return it 90 days from purchase.

Overall, Joe has treated me very well and I will continue to support them.

:smile:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I didn't say , I wasn't going to go back to joe's or fishermans,I worked at Joe's for awhile and always bought 90% of my stuff at fishermans because they seem to always have what I need on hand,The Joe's store on Hayden Island is the best of the Joe's stores for haveing what you need.
All I said was the SW store was a great store to go too it doesn't have that much in fishing equipment it do'es have a lot of hunting equipment
but it is way out of my way being as how I live in Washougal.So calm down folks fishermans and Joe's is still where I'll do my buying the only reason I'd go to SW is if they don't happen to have what I want.
Bob

[ 07-30-2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It would be nice to have SW or FM open a store on the West side of town. I always shop at Joe's but the selection is not as good as I would like to see....

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
All you guys need to quit your whinin'! :wink: Try living in Bend and shopping here for your salmon and steelhead needs. :mad: Joes has been pretty good with their customer service (took back my Corsair without a receipt :smile: ) but try to find the right size Gammie hooks or a corkie that's not the size of your fist and you're out of luck. :rolleyes:

I did finally stop at the SW in Salem the other day on the way back home from the beach salmon fishing, and was really blown away by the place (remember the local perspective I'm coming from). Just like when I'm in Portland and get to stop at Fisherman's, I'll have to try and schedule an extra hour of time to wander and look at everything. It's at these times when I can really remember what it was like being a kid at Christmas. :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts