IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about their fuel consumption rate with the various Sport Jets (175, 200, 240 etc) in the bigger 20-24' boats? How 'bout the 22 and 24' Motion Marine Fishing Machines with a heavy load?

[ 09-05-2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Fish Hunter ]

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I have a 175 in a 20 foot, 14º hull. My consumption ranges from 5 to 8 GPH, depending on where I am and what I'm doing. If I keep the RPMs below about 4700 on flat water, I do well. If I'm running 5500 or fighting chop, my consumption gets worse.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have noticed my consumption on my 175 is great at 4200-4400 RPM (5GPH?), but it really sucks gas at 4800-5000 (at least 8GPH). Sometimes I need to run it that hard when I have a full load and fighting waves.

Jay, I sent you a private message. Give me a call. 503-790-7558.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Same here, 5-6 gph if I run in the low 4000's, which gives me about 30-32 mph. If I hammer it, consumption goes to probably 10-12 gph. I have a 175 SJ in a 19 ft boat.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Also, you ask about consumption in the larger boats. While I don't know for sure, I can't imagine why the fuel consumption per hour would differ in the larger boats. The motor doesn't know how big the boat is, just how far forward the throttle lever is pushed. Your question should be, how big a motor do I need for the boat.

Of the various SJ sizes, I think a consensus is emerging that the 175 is the most reliable.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
The 175 plain Jane version gets rave reviews.

The 200( Optimax) has mixed input. better mileags. But finicky.

The 240 is a gas hog. It is faster, but you pay the price.

Mark at MM has a 175 in his 22'er. What does that tell ya?

Economy varies widely. It seems that the engines are real prone to the monday or wednsday syndrome- they are either pigs or rockets.

A good merc mechanic could do wonders for you here.

Nice boats.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Have heard NOTHING good about the 250 Optimax SJ.....

TR

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replys. My 19' SJ boat burns 6-8 as well. I'm thinking the bigger and wider, heavier boats would need more rpms to stay and get on plane, no? I stopped by and talked with Mark at Motion Marine. He didn't try to sell up the bigger Merc SJ motors. Said the 175 works great in the 22' and 24" boat. I'm actually trying to gather fuel consumption rates for jets and props also. Any one found any good comparison tests? 8 gal/hr with 175 hp at the pump for a 24' boat sounds like a stretch. What's a great fuel burn rate for a larger say 24' boat? How bout it 4 stroke screw turners?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I used to think my 175 sj was a gas hog, until I went out with my buddie who has a 200 merc outboard jet (Same Powerhead) rated sportjet rated at impeller, Outboard rated for a prop not jet. Where I would burn 6-7 gallons of fuel he would burn 11-13 gallons of fuel. Both boats weigh about the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
TheRogue,
I am curious....what have you heard about the 250 Optimax Sportjet??? I have one in my 24' Raptor and couldn't be happier with it. It's got great punch out of the hole, gets my boat on plane quickly and at full throttle on smooth water will push my boat at 52mph. :cool:

SloTroll

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Please don't get me wrong, but I'm just asking a question here. Why do they even make Sport Jets? :shrug: I would think that if a person wanted an outboard then they would buy an outboard and that would free up all the floor space. I have a V6 that is very good on fuel and is a snap to work on. With a Sport Jet your still paying for high priced parts and service. I really don't understand the rational with having an inboard powerhead. And once again I'm not slaming them , I would just like to be better informed. Thanks :smile:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Seefood Man --- Good question. Answer (for me) is --- 175 vs 140 hp, much lighter, center of gravity 2 ft. farther forward, far better mileage due to superior pump, and half the cost!!! That about covers it. :grin:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SloTroll what is your cruising gal per hour with your 250 Opti ? What rpm do you need to stay on plane?

·
Registered
603 Posts
18' Intruder w/175SJ. Same story. I would really like to hear from someone who has tried the Placediverter trim tab. eh??

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Seefood, to amplify Thumper's point, the biggest reason is that a Sportjet is cheaper, lighter, and more compact than a comparable 4 stroke inboard, and much more efficient than a comparably powered outboard jet. Outboard jets generallly lose about 30% of powerhead power to pump inefficiency (compared to a prop), while inboards lose about 5%. This ratio may be different now, as there is a rumor that Speciality Manufacturing (the company that makes the outboard jet that everyone uses) has a new design for the outboard pumps that increases efficiency.

[ 09-07-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Silver Hilton ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
If you just look at Mercury's stated pump horsepower, the 200 in outboard configuration is a 140 (loss of 30%) while the SJ 175 (200 in inboard configuration)loses 25 hp or only 12.5%. Big difference.

Though innovative, I believe that the Motion Marine "Outback" is actually counterproductive for us boondogging fanatics. What matters for us is to be able to fish the skinny water, and moving several hundred pounds inboard (the SJ) makes a world of difference (perhaps an inch or two less draft) when you are pushing the limit in the tailouts of summer. The SJ is a small inboard, and I will gladly give up that small space for the lesser displacement.

[ 09-07-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just get one of those offshore brackets on the back and slap an outboard prop on it. :wink:

My friend has a 24' MM with dual outboards and it gets about 2 miles per gallon. Not too bad considering it is 400hp of engines. Peformance and speed is unbelievable.

I could bet $10 you would fall down if you were standing up without holding anything and he gave it the full push hole shot. :grin:

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Silver Hilton,

The new high volume pumps give folks about 10hp( close enough) more than the old designs. So the old 200/140 is now a 200/150. Every gain is a good thing in a jet.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Corkyking,
I have the placediverter trim tab on my boat with the 250 optimax sportjet. i feel this is the reason why this boat performs so well. i can change the trim attitude depending on weight in the boat and water conditions. I think this combination is the only way to go. :dance: The diverters are designed to be installed on the jets so there is no extra machining to do.
The question was asked about gph for the 250 Optimax SJ. I don't know :shrug: the answer as I only have 12 hours on the motor. I also never fill the fuel tank completely full so it won't overflow when trailering. Bottom line is that I don't track that. :whazzup:

SloTroll

1 - 20 of 22 Posts