IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new/ used sled. The main powerplant will either be a 200/jet outboard 2 stroke or a sport jet 175.

This is for folks who have owned, or still own a sport jet( boater, get some popcorn and bite your tongue. I already know how you feel :wink: ) and have had trouble with them. If you own one, and have not had problems with it, please chime in with that too. Please feel free to include how many hours were/ are on it.

The stator will die too soon( Merc 200 owners beware.It is the same part :shocked: ) for what they cost. I am aware of that much...What else dies on them?

I do not care of it's performance in relation to other powerplant/pump combos.

My guess is this, if there are 5000 folks registered, and at least that many who lurk, If I can't get any bad rap, 1st hand( none of that cousins friends brothers stuff), then they are indeed as reliable as a 200 Merc( which, as best as I can figure, is exactly the powerhead we are talking about. Different pump), which is reliable enough for a lot of guides in the world.

If you are not registered, or would rather private mail, fine.

Oh yeah, I read the NR thread ( alright, I skimmed it. But I did look). Did the search. Almost everything negative is not from an owner, but along the lines of " My buddy had one a couple years back, said it was poop"

Why not just pop for the tested and true 200/jet combo?? Cause the difference between a SJ and a Yammie V-max( what I want) is a lot. A tandem axle galvie w/1 brake trailer, a lot. That's why. A #2 washtub of 20 dollar bills. 3 Weatherby's with Leupold 3.5x10s. A lot.

Thanks for your first hand only experience.

Mark and the interested to see how this turns out dog.

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!!

Of all the people to give a first response, it just had to be you :tongue: Does your 'puter have a "SJ alarm" to tip you off when you are needed? Like a "Bat Phone"???!!!

Enjoy the 'corn :grin: .

Mark and the ROFL dog.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I own a 19' NR with a 175 SJ. Currently have 80 hours on it and have not had the slightest problem what so ever. Great hole shots, will do 50 mph with me in the boat. The performance has been everything I had hoped for. I do wish the gas mileage was a bit better but I'm sure all jet pump owners wish thiers did as well.A little cold blooded if it hasn't been run in a couple of weeks.

Pearl

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I led the boat parade at the Tri-City Hydroplane races on Sunday with 8 people on board. When the Race Director said to pick up the pace, I hammered the throttle and got on plane in an instant. Actually had to slow down for some of the v-8 jets with the smaller loads.Mind you I was carrying Miss Tri-Cities and her court, chapperones (they didn't trust me) my wife(she didn't trust me) and the race director. I was really impressed and so was everyone else! I am a believer.I have owned mine since last August and fish more than most people.Have never had a problem yet. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I also own a 19 NR with the 175 SJ. It is a great motor. It does everything that I need it to do and more. My only complaints are;

Too loud-although I have heard you can insulate the inside of the doghouse with a heat tape backed insulation.

Very cold starting-usually takes three or four turns of the key to get it going.

With four people in the boat, I had a tough time getting two 150 lb adults on plane in tubes, although it did finally happen.

The fuel economy sucks-This boat will do 45-50 MPH (on gps), however, it will burn 17 gph doing it. 36 gallon take + 17 gph = run to Bonneville and back without much too spare.

Other than those I don't really have any issues.

I do get it serviced each summer at NR and run good oil in it.

The NR techs told me that the 175 is the best of the sportjets. The 240 is only a little more powerful and it is noisier. The 200 optimax has many issues (according to them).

I might be selling mine soon, ocean fever is hitting me pretty bad. I know that you want an open sled, though. Enjoy fishing in December! :grin:

Good luck...

Tag and the lazy 25lb sport cat. :cool:

edit-I forgot the hours +/- 105...

Boater-

[ 07-28-2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Tagster ]

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
95 hours and chunked stator from two or three minor gravel sucks on my NR Sportster. But still does 44mph and great hole shots. I'll probably replace the stator in October/November when I mostly bird hunt. Not terrible fuel consumption at low plane - 5-6gph; most boat time is anchored or Honda kickered anyway. Never fails to start; occasionally smokes on cold mornings. Lots of fishing room. Light boat. Even convinced Snapshot to get one. Doc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Steve
I hope that you did not have Miss tri cities parents in your boat my 3 year law suit with the dad just ended because he fell from my boat while fishing.Ron

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Flatfish,

We have a 2000 175 Sportjet. Yes, we had a stator go out. We also had a head gasket blow at about 20 hours. Then there was the overheating before and after that incident.

Keep in mind the dealer we purchased from was not very good at warranty service and we ended up doing a long drive to Three Rivers Marine in Woodenville.

Now... setting up the carbs and timing would not seem like it would cure the overheating, but it did. Since the stator went out before all the other troubles, and it didnt overheat at that point:

We think that the cruddy dealer's mechanic replaced the stator and he obviously didn't bother checking timing and carb adjustment afterward. The overheating that subsequently occured may have contributed to the head gasket failure.

So with proper adjustment, our performance improved, the overheating went away and we haven't had a bit of trouble since that time. Happy SJ owners since December. (Thanks Big Dave! :grin: You deserve a raise!)

I conclude that a motor will only run as good as the mechanic who worked on it!

We LIKE the configuration we get by having the sport jet. Plenty of room on either side of the engine cover when fishing etc... And it's zippy enough. 44 mph according to the GPS with 2 people and full gear. Gets on plane fairly easy even with 6 adults aboard.

I know I am a mere female.... but I lived the nightmare of trying to get this EXPENSIVE toy to run right. So I hope my opinion helps. :shrug:

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AuntyM,

My wife is the #1 first mate( I want to call her something else, but this is a family affair, so...), if it breaks, she is as bummed as me. When the one we have now gets sick, she gets mad cause we aint fishing. What women say sure does count. Why wouldn't it?

Mark and the got the ok, better get this thing rollin' before she changes her mind dog.

[ 07-30-2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
194 Posts
1999 sled with about 130 hours, no problems yet. Smokey and noisy, but reliable, w/ enough power, and allows for more room.

I too wish the fuel consumption was better, but when weigh all the goods and bads, this engine is a winner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Flatfish
I own an 03 19ft Thunderjet with 175sj. I agree with Pearl's comments said about the performance of his. I have been very pleased with mine. I have 18hrs on it, I haven't heard about any stator problems and I am unfamiliar with what it is can anybody expand on this? good luck

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have a 2001 Alumaweld with a 175 SportJet. I have 115 hours on it. Not one problem. The motor is light and fast. The pump is simple and much more efficient than an outboard pump.

I believe the motor is actually quieter than any outboard or inboard that I have owned.And No it doesn't smoke...at least not anymore than any other 2 stroke 200hp highstrung outboard.

Of course there are always nay sayers who will trash talk anything. And reality tells you that everything that is man made has problems from time to time. But common sense will tell you that this engine is the big block Black Max Merc, maybe the most time tested and proven guide engine on the water. It is set on a simple screw high volume pump system. I think it is the perfect light durable combination that jet boaters have been looking for for years.

I cannot speak to the fuel injected or Opti-Max technology rigs. I have had about 6 different fishing boats and this is the best setup, powerwise, so far.

Have fun researching.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Flatfish,
I own a 01 Motion Marine with a 175 sportjet. Cold blooded, smokes on cold mornings, but all 2 strokes do. I have 70 hours on it no problems at all. Gets on step really quick. Keep it around 4000 rpm and doesnt do to bad on fuel. :grin:

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
19 ft North River with the 175 sportjet, about 65 hours on the motor, 2 years and 60+ trips on the boat. Love it. It is cold starting, but always starts. Once it starts for the day, it starts readily for the rest of the day. Fast. I get about 2.5 - 3 mpg, so it's not cheap on gas. I think I could do better if I worked at finding someone to tune it better.

I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tagster,

look under the flywheel. Electrical thingamajig. 13 seconds after the factory quits covering the engine, you will learn about it( ok, maybe not 13 seconds. But Merc has a few flaws. This is one of them).

I am not buying a 2 stroke jet for good fuel economy. Performance and versatility are the name of the game.

Mark and the intently watching dog.

·
Banned
644 Posts
Forget the 175 SJ get the 200 Optimax SJ! I've had mine for two years and LOVE it! NO SMOKE! GREAT STARTING! and GREAT did I say GREAT fuel economy! Why spend the money on an outboard unless it's a tiller? The only issue I have with a SJ is that stupid box they have to put them in, they sure take up room compared to the outboard, but for an all purpose boat it works great, for a "fishing" boat, whell let's just say I have another boat for that :smile:

·
Registered
13,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For what it is worth, I am looking at the Motion Marine Outback Fishing Machine. This places the motor box exactly where an outboard would bolt on. I did not post this because I want feedback on the engine, not the hull.

It is a "Guide Boat" as far as layout. The powerhead just lays a bit lower. Thats all.

Mark and the tiller handle dog.

Kinebra, I miss the blonde :wink: .

1 - 20 of 52 Posts