187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fish spoons for Steelhead?

[ 05-06-2003, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: BassMan ]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey BassMan,

I hardly ever fish spoons becuase I haven't had much luck with them. Pretty much just jigs and drifting for me. I have a buddy that fishes alomost exclusively with spoons for steelhead and he does OK. I'm intersted to see how spoon fishing is actually done out there.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Yes i've used spoons before, and steelies won't bite them at all :grin: Especially a chrome one with a little orange paint on it :wink:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
There are some guys over at www.steelheader.net who preach spoons pretty hard. They take 'em up to some of the pristine Canadian waters and whack the 20 pounders pretty good.

I hear there is a steep learning curve though, and you loose a lot of gear while you are learning. I've heard it's best to start off with inexpensive Walmart spoons, and work to the fancy stuff from there.

[ 05-06-2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter ]

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Awesome!! You can cover a lot of water, hit pockets you don't with plugs, and you can cast them across any river. Also, the fight isn't blurred by any weight, so you get the true battle.

Buy cheap ones at Wal-Mart, that's all you need. Otherwise, buy steelies bulk somewhere and add your own trebles.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I fish the Cowlitz and Klickitat Rivers pretty hard with spoons. Last summer my buddy and I probably caught 20 steelies on spoons. We do really well with them. I find that they work best in low water conditions. And you don't have to use giant ones either. That's about all I use from the bank. If I'm not pluggin, I'm spoonin

·
Registered
480 Posts
1/4 oz Thomas lures, red crinkle finish for low clear water - Heavy brass or red/white steelies for higher water. These used to work great on the upper Siletz.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As FG mentioned, read Herzog's book. Then, e mail me for more information on where you can order the components and you'll have a spoon with ten times the quality and half the price of wallyworld crap.
If you don't lose a few spoons, you ain't fishin'em right.

EDIT Non sponsor link advertising is not permitted.

mea culpa, Jennie

[ 05-06-2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: BuKuBass ]

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with BK Bass about if you don't lose a few you aren't fishing them right, but that Wally World crap has caught me a lot of fish. If someone can get them for under a buck, I would like to know about it..

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If people haven't figured it out, Nicechromer and I are a fishing duo, so I second what he has to say.

Wally-World spoons not only are cheap, they ARE effective. For a buck, I don't sweat losing a half-dozen, especially when I end up with a couple of fish at the end of the day. BC steel, Little Cleos, and others are good, but price-wise, especially for a beginner, you can't beat the Rainbow Plastics at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Prices for components of a summer steelhead spoon that's my favorite at dawn and dusk:
1/4 ounce hammered finish, silver plated spoon (5/$ 0.95) $ 0.19
#1 VMC bronze siwash hook (10/$1.65) $0.165
#3 split ring (50/$1.25) $0.025
#7 black swivel (50/$4.40) $0.088
Component total $0.49
Cheap Walmart spoon= $0.97
About as close as you can get to half price. And a lot better quality.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Spoons are lousy in deep, fast, narrow runs and golden in medium-shallow, slower, broad runs. Fish them slow, with a barely perceptible wobble. Big fish and active fish love them!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by Wild Chrome:
Spoons are lousy in deep, fast, narrow runs and golden in medium-shallow, slower, broad runs. Fish them slow, with a barely perceptible wobble. Big fish and active fish love them!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">With the addition of ". . . near to the bottom" and "The colder the water, the more they outfish other techniques" you now know everything you need to know about fishing spoons for steelhead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BuKuBass,
where do you get your 1/4 ounce hammered finish, silver plated spoons for (5/$ 0.95) $ 0.19 each? that sounds like a pretty good deal.
Jbug

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My dad, grandfather, and I are almost exclusively spoon fisherman for steelhead. We do very well. Green is our favorite color. Read the book by Bill. Make sure you know what kind of water and how to fish spoons, or you probably won't find much success.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW, thanks for all the info on fishing spoons!!!!

I will add some to my box! :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey BASSMAN

When I was back in Georgia I had this friend who used nothing but SPOONS!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Met this guy on the bank the other day who makes all his own gear (almost), he was fishing actual spoons! Cut off the handle, drill a couple holes, insert split rings and you're in business.

[ 05-07-2003, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Jimmy Carl Black ]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts