IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

I am planning to make a stab at jig fishing for steelhead this fall/winter. As a dyed-in-the-wool baitcaster, I am told that spinning gear is the way to go. I have an Okuma reel, but am in need of advice as to the rod. Do I look for the same action as I look for in my baitcasting rod? Or, is there something else I need to know.

I'm a loomis guy, but hesitate to part with that much money until I see if the spinning thing will work out for me or not. I plan to fish such rivers as the Wilson, Nestucca, Trask, Siletz, Santiam etc etc etc.

Your help is appreciated!

Gary

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 9' GL2 that a friend gave me for my graduation and I absolutely love it. It's a 6-10 weight and I also have an Okama. It casts like a dream and has pleanty of length for the water I fish. The only down fall is that I'm sure it was expensive and it's pretty light. I haven't hooked a really big fish with it yet, but I'm sure thats gonna be a blast when I do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
guitgary, made a couple of spin-rods at 10ft. & 101/2ft, for the heavier winter flows 10-20&12-25, they work real nice lots of fun . fish-on,,,

G

·
TH Custom Rainshadow 1143 for spinning 9'6" rated 6-12lb is great for steelhead and will handle a chinook up to 20 lbs if it has to.
This rod with an Okuma Metaloid MD30 reel is the perfect bobber/jig steelhead combo in my opinion.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just bought a used 9' GL2 with a Shimano Symetre 4000 from First Cast Jigs. I am also going to try some jig fishing, bought this setup to complement my 8'6" baitcaster (Shakespeare Intrepid with Abu Garcia 4601) drifter setup. I think that the G Loomis is a great rod, but not for the new price of $175. I still don't understand how people can spend that much on something they are going to bash on rocks and bang on trees every trip.

The Shakespeare Intrepid IM7 series is good, and they make a nice 9' spinning rod that would be great. ( I was going to buy it until this Loomis deal went through). GI Joes has them, but they are not the rod they keep a lot of on hand. You might have to have them order it in from an other store. I had a good experience with them doing this for me before.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
guitgary,
My two cents on this. Make sure that your spinning reel has a good retrieve rate (line feet per handle turn) as when that bobber goes down you gotta move. It is inevitable that some time you will have some slack line out when you need a hook set, and the faster that line comes up the better. Winter water flows can get pretty heavy (as you know) and a 12+ pound steelhead in heavy water is a lot to move. Therefore, I recommend a bit heavier rod (at least 8-17 lb rating) as the backbone is nice when someone's got their nose down. My current jig rod is a lamiglas rated for 6-12 lb and I get a bit worried with a bigger fish on. Go with a rod that is 10 feet long (you'll get used to the extra length with time). The extra length really helps to keep line off of the water, therefore permitting a natural drift of your jig--thus producing more fish. Any good quality IM7 will work, in my opinion. The bobber is the finese part, not the feel. So, go quality with good construction/components and it will serve you well. Save the high end stuff for your baitcaster, back bouncers where rod sensitivity is more key.

Good luck--put a sandshrimp tail on the jig, you'll be happy.

Mike

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Jetty Nut:
guitgary,
My two cents on this. Make sure that your spinning reel has a good retrieve rate (line feet per handle turn) as when that bobber goes down you gotta move. It is inevitable that some time you will have some slack line out when you need a hook set, and the faster that line comes up the better. Winter water flows can get pretty heavy (as you know) and a 12+ pound steelhead in heavy water is a lot to move. Therefore, I recommend a bit heavier rod (at least 8-17 lb rating) as the backbone is nice when someone's got their nose down. My current jig rod is a lamiglas rated for 6-12 lb and I get a bit worried with a bigger fish on. Go with a rod that is 10 feet long (you'll get used to the extra length with time). The extra length really helps to keep line off of the water, therefore permitting a natural drift of your jig--thus producing more fish. Any good quality IM7 will work, in my opinion. The bobber is the finese part, not the feel. So, go quality with good construction/components and it will serve you well. Save the high end stuff for your baitcaster, back bouncers where rod sensitivity is more key.

Good luck--put a sandshrimp tail on the jig, you'll be happy.

Mike
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the usual great info. I appreciate the fact that I can always get solid info in IFish.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Lots of good info in this thread!
If you ask 10 people what's the best float rod on the market you'll get 10 different answers..
We sell more 1143 (9'6" 6-12#) float rods than any other model. They are easy to cast, give the fisherman a litle extra length to mend line and are comfortable enough to fish all day.
We are starting selling more and more 10'+ rods, as float fishing becomes more popular poeple begin looking for an advantage, the longer rod gives some people that advantage!

Bottom line there is a model that fits everyone's needs..

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Like TH says, ask ten different people and get ten different answers. Well, here's my reply. Email Scott at Get Bent Tackle and ask him about the All Star 1143. :smile: It was a sweet deal for me.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I second TH's advice on the 1143 but have a another less expensive option for you:

Alstar Elite 9 or 9.5 ft 8-12 lb spinning rod at Sportsman's - Great buy for $99. Lifetime warranty. Great action. No complaints. Caught my first spinning rod Steelie on it this summer.

I also have a Rainshadow 1141 4-8# 9.5ft spinner that I use for finesse presentations and a 1243 10.5ft 8-12# for bobber fishing.

The one TH I own is my Flotilla Springer King prize 1021 10-20# 8.5ft casting rod. Amazing quality. Lots of dead fish under its belt. I think TH w/ Rainshadow blanks does better work than any Loomis, any day. Looks great, fishes better.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Guitgary
If you like baitcasters use them. You do not need a spinning reel to fish jigs. Long rods and spinning reels are a must at places where you are making long casts (rivermill dam)or feeding a lot of line. But it sounds like the rivers you are going to fish don't require long casts or back feeding out much line. Use the clear Cast a Bubble fill it half full of water and it weighs one ounce and you can with a baitcaster cast it farther than you will need to and with your reel adjusted loose back feed just fine. my .02
Randy

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If you don't want to blow big $$ on an "unperfected" style, look at Cabela's and Okuma rods as well. Not a lot of money, but good quality rods at an entry-level price.

Also, Okuma is by far your best choice for performance and price as far as a spinning reel.

Good luck :dance:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I purchased a 10'6" Shakespeare Intrepid spinning rod two years back, and I love it to death. It's a light action, rated for 2-8 lb. test. The rod handles awesome, and is a dream to fish with. I mostly fish bobber with it, but I've used it successfully with spinners. It even handled a 20 pound summer chinook without too many problems.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just got a 10'6'' St. Croix 6-12 weight spinning rod fishing jigs fall/winter. I absolutely love it. Great play, strong rod, it's a beaut.
I also have a 10'6'' Shimano Convergence 4-6 weight I plan on using next summer in low water conditions. I've yet to hook a fish on it, but I used to have a 10'6'' Shimano Stimua 4-6 weight, and it caught a bunch of fish for me this year before I broke it.
By the way, go Cabela's. Gave me full credit for my broken rod, no questions asked.

I will tell you this:
I have caught steelhead on jigs on a 8'6'' rod and my dad uses a 9' rod, but they just don't give you the play that 10'6'' rods do. I would strongly suggest you get a 10' or 10'6'' rod. I've even heard of fishermen using 12'6'' custom rods for summer steelhead jig fishing! Wow!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Do as TH says. Go to the 10' to 10 1/2'. I got a 10' last year and it sure makes it easier to keep the line out of the water during a drift. Lots less drag on the line so you get a more natural drift with your bobber and jig.
If you don't go with a custom made from TH, Joe's has a Shimano that's not bad for about $65.00.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
go to fisherman's and get a north river. I love mine. It's 9'-6" 4-10lb I beleive. It's great for boober jig fishing for steelies. Get a good reel with a strong smooth drag. I have an okuma that works great.
GBS

·
Registered
938 Posts
BassPro Shops- 8'6" Graphite Microlite Rod- $37.00 including shipping. Line Wt. 2-6#. I use this rod for Smallies and Steelies. I have also caught two fall Chinook in the 20# range drift fishing on the Umpqua. Shakespeare reel(Catera?) at Bi-Mart was $32.00. I really love this set-up especially at under $70.00. :grin:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I bought a TH 1263 and my other rods don't see much action since.

If you're going to start jig fishing seriously, you're going to want a long rod and spinning reel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts