IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several setups that i fish. What do you prefer spinning or baitcaster when bottom fishing or fishing in general?

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Bottom Fishing suggests a type of saltwater fishing, but I think you might mean river Anchor Fishing ?
If so, learn how to back bounce....hint : you won't be using a spinning reel.
Thucker has it right.

·
Premium Member
20,249 Posts
Conventional reel for virtually everything in the salt. I do, however, have a jigging setup with a coffee grinder for cast/retrieve or when blacks are surface feeding.

·
Premium Member
9,146 Posts
Personal preference. I think most or at least many of the Newport charters give their customers a spinning reel and a swimbait for bottom fishing. One of the best bottom fishermen I know prefers a spinning reel and a swimbait. Personally, I rarely use a spinning reel anymore, but they can be nice for casting to tuna if you're using light jigs or swimbaits.
ron m

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Depends if we are throwing light swimbaits or dropping 2lb diamond jigs to the bottom in 900' of water. Each fishery has its own needs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I personally prefer bait casters or conventional reels. Once in a while a spinner is nice to cast into the wind with lighter gear.
I have an equal portion though, most of my crew like spinning reels :D
😎🐠🐟🐡🎣

·
Registered
350 Posts
Both but mostly spinning rod until l get tired then want to switch hands.
Never been on a near shore bottomfish charter that supplied baitcasters always spinning.
Im always the first in our group to have my jig in hand at the end of a drift and the baitcaster l use is fast just not as fast as my spinning reels are.
If everyone liked the same thing grandma would've been a busy woman...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bait caster is my preferred reel. Coffee grinders come out for surfact fish on those rare days that they show up. Rockfish are fun on lighter coffee grinder setups, but a struggle when that monster Ling grabs ahold.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Stabicraft 2250 UCC OS "Gypsy Davie"
226 Posts
Personal preference. I carry both on my boat, some people are much more comfortable with spinners. My regular crew like to "barbi rod" the blacks especially when they're surface feeding, that is pretty entertaining. And I have a couple heavy spinners for bow casting to feeding albacore. IMHO every type of gear has its place, use what's best suited to the task or what you can use best and have the most fun.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,238 Posts
Casting rods are first choice and spinning gear for shallow fish. Casting gear gives more control on those tougher fish..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I carry and use both. Black and deacon/blue rockfish are semipelagic and spend a lot of time off the bottom, not necessarily at the surface but up in the water column. It's just easier to target them by casting light to medium jigs (swimbaits and curltail grubs) and using a combination of drift and retrieve to catch them, and a spinning rod works best with the lighter jigs. I catch 95% of my rockfish this way. For true bottomfishing, a casting reel, drop down shrimp fly rigs, heavier jigs or metal (I like do-it flutter jigs) , hit the bottom, and reel up just enough to avoid hangups, work the gear over structure with a thumb on the spool to get a good solid hookset, while keeping one eye on the sounder to be able to tell when the structure is coming up (or going down) and noting direction of drift on the gps. All of that is just easier to manage with a casting reel. For really deep water, such as long leader fishing, casting reel.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
100% baitcasting. Better depth and line control, you can open the spool and control the descent of your gear.

I don't have much use for spinning gear on a saltwater boat. People wind up reeling against the drag and causing line twist. If casting is required, and we have people who cannot cast conventional reels, the spinners come out. That's usually tuna only, and even then, I won't use one.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
100% baitcasting. Better depth and line control, you can open the spool and control the descent of your gear.

I don't have much use for spinning gear on a saltwater boat. People wind up reeling against the drag and causing line twist. If casting is required, and we have people who cannot cast conventional reels, the spinners come out. That's usually tuna only, and even then, I won't use one.
The shimano baitrunner coffee grinders have a line release button like a traditional baitcaster, makes it good for vertical jigging if you like coffee grinders better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If I'm shallow fishing on light gear spinners and a quick action pole are fun. Anything else I use bait caster.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
baitcaster for me, i freespool and thumb line to keep on bottom, spinning reel for my daughter to avoid a mess.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Blacks on my light-ish spinning setup are really fun when they are up more shallow and feeding. But 90+ percent of the time I’m using a baitcaster with a line counter. I like having the counter; I find bottom, note the depth and scope, watch the FF for depth changes, and am pretty good at keeping it close to the bottom. I catch a lot of cabezon, haha.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I’ve been known to use a spinning outfit for salmon trolling and halibut, worked just fine.

Considering how quality gear is built today with technology and materials, for our local fishing I don’t think one is better than the other. Different parts of the world and different species opportunities are a completely different animal.

Owl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts