IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was making a few spinners and wanted to know what anyone thought of them. and if or what i should change these are the frist one i made any help would be great
i thought these would be good for chinook
and this one for steelhead :shrug:

[ 06-20-2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Ray S.
900 Posts
Quickfisher, looking pretty to me. I really like that steelie blade...
Fish on bro
Ray

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
They all look good to me for both steelhead and salmon on the Columbia.

I like painted in the mornings or if it's overcast and polished finishes after the sun breaks out.

Don't forget rainbow and red blades.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well ok thanks i will give them a try tomorrow and will give you a reportif they work

·
Premium Member
14,396 Posts
1. quick change clevis is a must. that way you can do up a half a dozen different bodies and mix and match blades to them for endless combinations.
2. consider swapping that treble for a sturdy siwash hook. you might miss a bite or two but when you hook up it'll be solid. it also makes releases easier. if you stick with a treble, i'd go a few sizes larger.
3. drop the swivel at the top. i'd run this rig with a duolock snap at the end and a bead chain with pencap protector somewhere in the middle of the leader.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Good ideas Amp. Also, consider a small metal (brass or chrome)beed directly under the clevis instead of the small plastic bead. Over time, the spinning of the clevis against the plastic bead grinds them down. And, a small bead or two pushed down into the plastic sleeve covering the treble keeps it straight.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
They look good. I especially like the steelhead one. Chinook will grab the little spinners too. The problem I don't like about the quick change clevis is that the blade falls out when you are fighting a fish. Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
ya! they all look like winners. :cheers:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lots of good ideas guys. I to am looking to make my own spinners. I have one equipment question. Can I get by with a normal pair of needle nose plyers for making the loop on the wire, or is there a special tool that would work better. :shrug: :whazzup:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Originally posted by kevray:
Can I get by with a normal pair of needle nose plyers for making the loop on the wire, or is there a special tool that would work better. :shrug: :whazzup:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">My brother has a special spinner making tool that really works well. He has went through some cheap ones, then he bought a good one. :smile:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the comments,and the constructive criticism , i did make a few w/ the siwash and i thought about using a metal bead under the clevis now i know i should have and will on the next ones. the small pink caught weeds and a shad today. :cheers: thanks to all who replied

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nookster,
What is the name of your brothers tool, what are the advantages, and where can I find them??
Thanks for the reply.

Quickfisher-
What do you use for those nicely done finished loop ends?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The best spinner maker out there is made locally. FMS carries them, but hopefully you can find it elsewhere for a better price. It's made by Rainbow Tackle Company, in Portland. It's called "TwisTech". Don't waste your time trying to do it with needle nose pliers, it'll drive you nuts real fast and you'll end up doing what you should have in the first place and buy the SpinTech. (based on personal experience :grin: )

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skrimmy is right, I use the Twis Tech i got it at FMS. a friend had a Boggs spinner maker and likes the Twis Tech alot better Just my $0.02

[ 06-20-2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I'll third the TwisTech, it took me a few tries before the top loop came out perfect but now making spinners is so fast and really easy. The Boggs just looks like it is too busy and a little expensive for my tastes. :cheers:

·
Ray S.
900 Posts
That Berkley Big game steelon coated wire{ 30 lb or larger} can be fashioned into whatever kind of creation you can dream up. Most shops have the wire and the little sleeves to crimp them up with. I use the plasic quick change clevis. It won't chafe up the nylon coatng on the wire. Beads, or corkies or whatever turns you on to dress them up. Cool thing to do while waiting for that next takedown....
Ray S.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My personal preference is to use pliers. Thats how I learned and I've made probably close to a thousand spinners without any problems. The secret is to cut a small groove in both jaws close to the plier tips, this helps keep the wire locked in place, and having good quality pliers is a must. The way that works best for you is the right way. Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts