IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm going to be out at Fort Stevens this weekend (Thur-Sun) and would like to try my hand at salmon. Am I reading the regs correctly to be:
fin clipped
>16"
Coho or Steelhead (2; no Chinook/King until the 22nd)
barbless hooks (no more than 2) w/single lure/bait
:confused:

Any suggestions on rigging? I don't think my kicker is going to be running for this trip so I plan to anchor up in 10-40' of water and fish the incoming tide.

Anyone going to be in the area and willing to educate me on the ins and outs of salmon fishing?

Thanks

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
Get the kicker fixed. The big river is no place to be without one. Be safe always.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The barbless hooks is for the ocean. As I read the regs, barbs can be used in the river.

I don't think I have seen anyone anchor in the columbia anywhere in the B-10 fishery...for good reason: too much water flowing, IMHO. I think someone lost their life this year trying to anchor down there and had the anchor line catch a cleat which plowed the boat down.

Safest would be to have a working kicker. I would get mine fixed first, but if you try it with a single engine, make sure you are prepared with good radio and safety equipment.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Fishing might be tough trolling amc covering water, anchor fishing would be worse.

It's not a anchor fishery anyway, everyone trolls.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*sigh* safety first. My wife would not be very happy with me if I didn't come back :flowered: so I guess I'll sit this one out while my kicker has it's carb rebuilt.

Any recommendations on where I could safely run without a kicker (maybe closer in around the bridge for c&r sturgeon) or even bank fish for salmon?

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
*sigh* safety first. My wife would not be very happy with me if I didn't come back :flowered: so I guess I'll sit this one out while my kicker has it's carb rebuilt.

So glad to see you took some good advice and didn't just go and ignore safety for whatever reasons? I wish more fisherman were as receptive and questioning as yourself. :bowdown:

Have fun, go kill them at B10, come home to fish another day.:pray:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
:yeahthat:
You can fish from the North Jetty for salmon w/bobber & mooching rig, although it's early for success. From the Oregon side you can drive onto Social Security beach and plunk from the bank right next to your truck. Lead dropper up to a tri-swivel & leader. Good luck and remember, there's plenty of salmon season left, it's just getting started!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Here's an idea which I've done in the past. Call around to see if you can find a trolling motor to rent. Don't remember who I rented it from, but it might be worth checking out. :shrug:

NRS

"NorthRiver Pirates"

·
Registered
803 Posts
Or you could sit on anchor up river and knock em dead like they did last year while I was eeking one or two out at the mouth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts