IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the area and would like to have a better understanding of the posted speed limits on the Nehalem. I know not to create wake in boat launch areas to be polite when others are fishing but the areas up river are some what confussing. Begining at the town of Newhalem there are bouys along the docks. Is this entire streach of river (outside of the bouys) a 5 mile per hour speed limit? What about the RV park up from Newhalem? When you take the right fork going up the river there are alot of docks on both side going to the Barn hole. I go through this part of the river observing the speed limit but my boat does make a wake and I have had several people come out waving arms complaining about wake. It seems to me that if you have a boat dock on the river you should expect some wave action. Again I slow down for people fishing and do respect others but I have experienced some sensitive folks up river. Please let me know the rule of river. Thanks

[ 08-24-2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Old Rivers ]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome aboard ifish there newbie. A sort of well known but "unofficial rule" here is to make your first post an intro and fish storie....might want to start there, and then ask the question! :grin:

G

·
Sometimes even the 5 MPH is too fast in small areas, with still too much wake. Sometimes those folks come out waving their arms for just something to do. :shocked:

Welcome. Common sense is the rule. Try pulling some wiggle warts around up in that area and see what happens.

Rick

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Old River,
I haven't been to the Nehalem River yet so I can’t speak for them. But I can give you my two cents  I live on the Multnomah channel on a floating home.

The letter of the law is, 200 feet 5 mph or no wake. How ever another rule says “You’re responsible for you wake and the damage it causes".

I have informed allot of nice people about these rules when they knock me off my couch on Sunday afternoon when there headed home from a week end of boating. Most people think it's just 5 mph and so they create a huge monster wake and think there doing no wrong. In this case it's not the thought that counts; it's no wake that counts.
This boating season alone I've replace two windows in my house because of a monster wake rocking my house at the cost of $400 a peace. Of course by the time you find the damage it’s too late to find the culprit.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I hope this help. If not sorry for the ramp 

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
It's kind of tradition to post a new story, but it's not the rules. Some people like to walk in the door gently, others, with a huge intro!
It's up to you guys, but I vote that if you want to, it is very welcome!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This was a quote from Jenn!

So why must we jump on someone just because they haven't posted an intro story. Traditions are made to be broken. If they want to they will, if they don't they won't. Why alienate someone just because they haven't

·
Registered
670 Posts
Skrimmy/Fish Addict,

Perhaps this would be a kinder more gentle board if the moderators moderated. :smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,255 Posts
First off, Welcome Old Rivers, happy to have you aboard.

Adofish,
Perhaps this would be a kinder more gentle board if the posters posted so the moderators DIDN'T have to moderate. :wink:

Post a story if you want. It is encouraged so we can get to know you faster, but not mandatory.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rules of the road (river) is that its 5mph or no wake within 200 feet of a dock. As a home owner with a dock on the upper Nehalem I know this is a problem. Every boat kicks out a different type wake depending on hull design and speed. Just check behind your boat when motoring through a dock area and see the size of your wake. Also look at the tied up boats at docks when you go by; are they rocking and straining at their mooring lines? If so, you need to slow down. Those areas that you are speaking of hold fish, why speed through when you can troll and possibly hook up?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
According to the Clack Count sherrif that tried to bust me on a Jet Ski... Unnless there is a posted MAX speed limit, Like at hagg Lake (35MPH)
you can go your desiered speed as long as you obey 200' No wake zones... Just have respect for the trollers and home owners etc.. sometimes full speed makes a smaller wake than going 5mph and plowing through the water!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts