IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from sturgeon fishing in Astoria on Friday and Saturday to find someone had broken in to my shed. I lost a lawn mower, weed-eater, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, lantern, and one lawn chair. More importantly, they made off with 15 rods, 14 reels, two tackle boxes, and a set of waders (new in the box). I now own one St. Croix fly rod, one Okuma fly reel, and one broken Ambassadeur 5500. Keep an eye on your local hock shop, because there's some fairly nice stuff on the way. I'm insured, but it doesn't take the sting out... :shrug:

I'm dreaming of catching up with whomever did this... :mad:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
not good, not good at all. We are off to a really poor start this summerr with the thieves. Sorry- atworkalot that I don't have anything to say to help you feel better but just maybe the ol what goes around will come around proverb will apply to the creeps who stole your stuff.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
have you gone to local pawn shops? they keep track of who brings stuff in. these jerks usually only want stuff they can sell. just a thought.

·
Registered
10,812 Posts
THAT SUCKS! That's a lot of gear to lose. Sorry about that dude. Will keep an eye out. Hope they catch these guys! :mad:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Chances are you'll never get it back or find who did it. Marion county won't even prosecute that stuff unless there is violence involved.

Be warned that if someone tries a sting like mentioned in another post, you never know what these ******** are willing to do. Be careful, and if you do something to someone else, they WILL prosecute you. If you see anyone not fishing, or that looks odd, write the plate and veh. info down. It never hurts..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was pleasantly surprised when an officer showed up at my home to take a report. I had heard they don't usually respond to this type of call. The Officer was patient and sympathetic to my venting, so thank you Portland Police.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Property theft has been escalating to all times highs around here of late because there is basically no threat of punishment. The criminal justice system has minimal interest in catching thieves and if they do the thief basically gets booked and is out the same or next day! Sooner or later we're all going to be a victim unless something changes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Portland Police have detectives that monitor the pawn shops. All incoming items are supposed to be tagged and the name of the pawner recorded. Frequent pawners are tracked, occasionally leading to arrests and stolen property recovery. Something worth knowing is that relatively few of the establishments we commonly call "pawn" shops are actually pawn shops, most are really just second hand stores that buy property. They are not subject to the same legal scutiny that true Pawn shops are. Most, however, play well with the police so they can stay in business. It couldn't hurt to call the Detective Division and speak to a Pawn Detective. They might be able to provide some information. Just keep in mind that property crimes are low priority right now with the budget crisis. Go check out the resale shops on your own, you might get lucky. I'm glad to hear that your experience with the responding officer was a good one.

Good Luck

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing, and I'm going to catch hell from my insurance for this. I have no idea what brand my lawnmower is. It is/was green and yellow, and not a Deere. It was a gift from my Dad and he doesn't know either, only that it was $400. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
lock those outboards w/ chains guys when you come out to the coast. bring in all your gear out of your boat !

Every year we get hit hard ... harden the target.. just 'cause your out of the metro area doesn't mean you can be lax about security ...

SNAG --- cool avatar !

·
Registered
92 Posts
********, hypes and crackheads suck they can't work for their dope money so they steal and pawn other peoples stuff to get it. look around your neighborhood.....if you find a ******* your stuff will probably be nearby.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Originally posted by AtWorkALot:
One more thing, and I'm going to catch hell from my insurance for this. I have no idea what brand my lawnmower is. It is/was green and yellow, and not a Deere. It was a gift from my Dad and he doesn't know either, only that it was $400. Any ideas?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Mine's green and yellow. It's a Yard Man.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
24 on/48 off,
Thank you. I'll look in to those. I feel stupid not knowing what brand my own lawn mower is. I guess it's obvious I hate yard work.

Jim

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Manchu49,
I agree. I live on the bluff overlooking Swan Island, there's a pretty good homeless population in the area. I've run more than a few people away that were rummaging through my recycling. Once I caught a guy with my neighbors cancelled checks. I burn anything with more than my name on it now.

Looks like I'm going to have to put a security system in, and get a dog with an attitude.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:mad:Our society is getting more messed up every day. It's saddening to hear that there isn't any real punishment for this type of crime. I'm glad I have my dog as a deterent. Sorry about your bad luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Being stolen from upsets me more than anything else I can think of! Hope they get caught!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
This kind of stuff is happening more and more...

Why? IMHO, we're not willing to pay the taxes necessary to prosecute these miscreant, drug takin', deviant, thievin' losers and keep them behind bars, which is where they belong!

Sorry, but we all need (WA. and OR.) to put more money into our criminal justice budgets to prevent these people from continuing to violate our basic rights to feel secure in our own homes.

Ok, I'll step off my soapbox.....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts