IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I am very new to the fantastic sport of fly fishing. i just picked up a 5wt 8.5 ft Temple Fork rod and a Okuma Sierra reel. I have Mainstream 5 floating weight forward line. I feel pretty confident about my rod/reel/line combo but am not too sure on what to do about leader, tippet and especially flies. I know that the fly question usually depends on when and where you will be fishing so I will give you all the lowdown on my upcoming plans.

I will be headed south to the Bend area, Sparks Lake specifically, next weekend. I will be targeting Sparks Lake to fish for trout. My question to you all is what leader/tippet combination should I be using for a calm water lake? Also, are there specif flies that would work best for this type of lake?

Can anyone help me out and make my first REAL fly fishing trip a success?
Thanks in advance
Jason

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Re: Sparks Lake QUESTIONS from a Fly Fishing Newbie

I usually start with a 10' tapered leader and then start tying tippet on after I've broken off a foot or two. Generally 5X or 6X. I'm not a master of casting, I tend to have trouble with much longer leaders. Know the "surgeon's loop."

I haven't fished Sparks much lately, we used to camp there every year when I was a kid.

Aside from trying to match the hatch, my go-to fly is the elk-hair caddis. 2nd place, the Royal Coachman. Be prepared with some tiny black things and perhaps a grasshopper or three this time of year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Sparks Lake QUESTIONS from a Fly Fishing Newbie

Brookies tend to like small streamers and bright colored wet flys. Have had good luck wuth Zonkers, Spruce, Micky Finns, and muddlers. Also done well on Egg Sucking Wolly Bugger (olive, purple, orange/grizzly, red/yellow) or Timberline Emergers. Sparks hasn't been as goodas it was a few years ago, but got a couple dozen the last time I spent a weekend up there. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello Newbie:
I tend to use "really old" patterns and guess what? They still work!
try a few Coachman (plain style) or adams and perhas an olive or black wooley bugger in smaller sizes. Then go larger if needed. As suggested, the Royal Coachman can be Very Good at times. Most of these patterns are over 100 years old!
good luck and have a great time!
Deefly

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I have a small assortment of flies including Royal Coachman and Elk Caddis and a couple bead headed nymphs. I will see if I can pick up some more colorful wet flies that you (mgdfly) suggested.

I will be camping close to the south end of the lake. From the little bit of info I have read on Sparks, the south end is pretty good. Can anyone confirm this or give me any advice as to where to target? I have a kayak so I can go where I want on the lake.

Thanks guys for the help. I will post a reply after my trip to let everyone know how it went. I am not expecting much but it should be fun to get the fly rod broken in and the line wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts