IFish Fishing Forum banner

Spark plug for Yamaha outboard

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
I have a Yamaha 115 with a jet. The book specs an NGK B-8HS10 plug for this engine, but I seem to recall some mechanic type recommending the resister plug instead. That would be the NGK BR-8HS10. Anybody have a handle on this? :whazzup: Will it even make a difference to my performance. Maybe it has to do with flicker on my guages. Resister plugs in cars are supposed to help minimize engine caused static on the radio, isn't it?

Thanks for any input.

GU

#2 ·
Stick with the non-resistor plug as recommended by Yamaha. The resistor plug ("R") will be identical to the non-resitor as you note, except it will generate less spark energy if equal voltage is applied to both plugs.

Many spark plug wires have built in resitance and if you add a resistor plug it may cut your performance.

The only reason I could see to use a resitor plug if the manufacturer did not specify it, is if you were having disturbance on your depth finder.

Your gauge problem (flicker) is not caused by your spark plugs. Most likely a voltage stabilizer.

#5 ·
The same plug for 17 years - wow!

I assume you have replaced the plugs over that time with the exact same plug - no? How often to you replace your plugs and how do you know its time?

Thanks,
GU

#7 ·
i have a 1989 115 yamaha jet drive, i bought it new and change the plugs every year, i use the plugs that are recomended, it runs like a champ, bar none the best outboards going!!!!

#8 ·
Gear Up, do what you want. Invader says he has the same motor, but as far as I can see from the posts here, neither one of you mentioned the year. Unless they are the same year, it is apples to oranges.

Chevrolet has made the 350 motor for many years, but I assure you they don't all use the same plug.

Do what the people who built your motor suggest, I guarantee they know far more than anyone else about your specific motor.

I am a little confused as to why you want to use a more expensive resistor plug, when the manufacturer specifies a non-resitor plug. :whazzup:

#9 ·
Any questions reguarding Yamahas goes to the only known Yamaha service center around which is Pacific Boatland in Vancouver. They were the first Yamaha Dealer on the west coast in 1984 and has the same Yamaha techs since. Got this from the rep at portland show years ago,and found this is true after calling customer assistance.Any concerns on your Yamies just give them a call!

Good Fishin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.