IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No need to worry about me posting the hot bite. Why is it the best time to go fishing (11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) is the worst time to go catching
? Anyway, I gave it an honest effort today. Mostly fished bobber and shrimp/egg combo's and closed out tossing spinners. The river is holding clear even with this hot weather :cool: . Fish are in. Saw a couple roll and then when the sun came off the water they really started to become active. I couldn't get them to touch anything, but at least I knew I was over fish.

Was at Oxbow. I had the stretch of river I picked all to myself - well, as far as fishing goes. Hated to see all the rafters and swimmers (youngsters) without life jackets - no respect shown for the river today. Let's hope it was forgiving. Appreciated one group of kayakers that actually had a clue and were very deliberate and held while I fished and deliberately stayed out of where I was fishing. Another group thanked me for not fishing while they proceeded right through my drift. At least they were nice about it :rolleyes: Hot day.

It wasn't like I was really going to catch a Springer. That would be too much of a good thing.

[ 06-07-2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Navigator ]

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
it took me a couple of years to realize why summer steelheading is such an early morning affair. it's really so you don't have to deal with all the swimmers and dough balls that come out when the weather gets warmer. on the other hand you could think of it this way: wherever the swimmers are, the fish aren't. it's just a matter of finding some water where the swimmers aren't.

·
Registered
141 Posts
:mad: I cant stand those swimmers they have no respect last summer i was fishing on the sandy (the big bend) they started swiming right next to me and spoking the fish why can they just go swiming in some pool than risk there lives in the river.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
where the swimmers are, the fish aren't. one day last summer at the ramp at oxbow there were a ton of swimmers, and i mean a ton. they were all down in the slower section, even climbing up and jumping off of the high ridge. a buddy of mine wades out into the current above them in the faster water and casts his drift rig. first cast! hooks up with a hot summer steelie. sometimes the swimmers are your friend. with all of their activity they concentrated the fish and probably made them irratable and ready to bite. it's a drag to put up with them but sometimes it can work to your advantage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts