IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never received Spam until I joined IFish. Have any of you experienced this problem? It really seems that within the last week or so that it's gotten bad. I receive 30+ a day now.

[ 09-12-2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: David Ulrich ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,373 Posts
No, I haven't. Do you buy online? Do you enter sweepstakes? Download "free" software? The e-mail address I have just for ifish doesn't get any SPAM. The other I had to shut down because Yahoo was getting out of control.

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
Send me the spam you got, and I'll check it out, OK? Full headers?

I'm really working on this, as I really, really hate spam! :smile:

I had to cancel my favorite account, (not an ifish address, either) because of 600 a day! I'd had it since the beginning of the net. I had to bury it... sad. :depressed:

If you leave your ifish e mail address so that anyone can access it, you risk the possibility of spam.

If you hide it, in your profile, there is no way you can get spam from ifish.

By the way, if anyone has [email protected] listed for me, it's defunct. :depressed:

Jen

[ 09-12-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've never got any spam off or because of
I-Fish,I get plenty from other places tho.I did find out (I Think)if you just delet it instead of going in and telling them to stop sending you this junk you'll cut your spam in half.I read I think it was in the paper that if you answer them by telling them to stop then they know they have an active e-mail address if you don't answer they quit sending to that address ??seems to work a little.
Bob

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I agree with STGRule, my Yahoo account is responsible for filling up my email address faster than I can purge it :mad:
I hate spam too...

But I don't think Ifish is responsible. There are a lot of things you can do to prevent spam but I know of no failsafe way to completely eliminate it.

In any public forum try spelling out the dot in your email address so the farmers have to type it in. Usually little thngs like this prevent your addy from being used like this...

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't know about Yahoo but if you want tons of spam get hooked up with MSN.com. I'm a nobody and I get 30 a day. I don't think ifish has anything to do with you spam issue. I think its more like spam senders broadcasting to your ISP. In any case they WILL find you and send you stuff you don't want.

[ 09-12-2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: GoFish ]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bob (dawhunt) is right. Never do the stop sending me stuff part. They will then know you use your email and send your email to a list that others can use to just send you more junk.
Also for any yahoo user. You need to go into your
account info and un-check all the boxes that say you want mail from this and that.. Sorry I cant explain it better right now but im having trouble with my yahoo and cant find it. But I know its there someplace. I had all of them boxes unchecked and one day yahoo did somthing and they were all checked again.. this was about a year ago.. I hope this helps someone out.

Mike..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Jennie I'll send you the crap. I was asking a ? not pointing a finger. Thanks you guys for your help.

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
David, I realize you weren't pointing a finger.
It's just a spamsensitive topic.
Sorry--
Jen

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry boys and girls but AOL is the worst. If you are a member and venture into a chatroom of ANY topic you'll get spammed to death. They have separate chatrooms for members and non-members. If you're a member someone just jumps into the room, takes a snapshot of all names present and blanket emails everyone not to mention selling your name to multiple customers for their use. They are paid and they do it 24/7. If the wife didn't like the other features so well I'd probably be with earthlink by now. I hear good things about them and I've also found that by not responding you get less junk as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I bought some stuff off of a spam email. I'm amazed what it did in 1 Day.

NOT :dance:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts