IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into drifting the South Santiam from pleasant view to Waterloo . I have never done it before and was wondering what is the minimum water level I can do it in a drift boat without beating up my boat ? Also is there any spots that are difficult navigating ?
Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am looking into drifting the South Santiam from pleasant view to Waterloo . I have never done it before and was wondering what is the minimum water level I can do it in a drift boat without beating up my boat ? Also is there any spots that are difficult navigating ?
Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I don't see any replies I'll jump in and try to help. Have not done that drift but have done the dam to Pleasant Valley many times, right now river is running about 1250 CFS and that is enough to easily navigate. I've done it under 1000 CFS and that is getting pretty skinny but still do-able. There are a few places you have to pay attention up there but nothing ass puckering.

Know folks that have done PV to Waterloo and its a long drift give yourself lots of time. With low flow it can be pretty slow. Do NOT miss the take out Waterloo is a falls not just a rapid. From what I've been told the drift is pretty slow and froggy nothing difficult. If you go on a hot day be prepared to navigate through a water toy and beer cooler flotilla. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've floated it. Easy never paid attention to the level just put in and went for it. Bring some rope in case you have to get out and float the boat down. Some very good water in there.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I disagree ( who cares) with both posts above. At 3.1 you're going to be banging your boat on PV to Waterloo and Wiley to Pleasant Valley is not an easy drift even if you know it and you'll be hitting bottom on it too. Why people say it is, got me. Is it Moonshine, No. Can you sink a boat if you don't hit a line right on both drifts, absolutely.

Reactions: lucascole76

·
Registered
665 Posts
Trust me…. It’s too low right now. You will beat your boat up dragging it through the shallows. I used to run that river a lot in pontoon boats for winter steelhead, and have done it in a canoe ….. once in low water. That was enough for me. It’s a nice run in winter when the river levels are up though…. Kirk

·
Registered
728 Posts
I live off of Pleasant valley and have done it a couple of times in my drift boat. It is doable, but you will hit. For the most part, remember to stay to the right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Completely concur Wiley to PV is not for beginners. But probably need to clarify my comment, I have a fiberglass DB that floats like a cork and can probably get through skinny water that other boats would bottom out. Even at 1000 cfs I've never bottomed out. To me the north santiam is much scarier, has gobs of logs and trees that will suck you under, rocks you can just bounce off or get out and slide over.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You may want to take heed of what has been said above. I have floated through some rough water and was good on the oars so nothing really scared me to go or not go I just went and if I found my self in trouble I got out of it. Not a way I would recommend to anyone but that was me. I am more cautious now but still take some chances. If the folks that know say it is to low to float I would really listen. I have owned wood, fiberglass and metal drift boats and the fiberglass is very forgiving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts