IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to plan a short trip down to the south coast during christmas break and had a couple of questions, in no way am I asking for anyones secret spot or anything of the sort. Its just that, with the short time I have to spend there, would like to do some foot work on a river that will have a fishable number in it. I have already fished the rogue and umpqua and was looking for a smaller river to fish from the bank with less people. I have heard of people having luck on Pistol River, Hunter Creek, Brush Creek, and a couple others. If anyone has any info for me it would be appritiated. Also if you dont want to post on the board, a PM would be appritiated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

· Banned
3,331 Posts
Some "unnnamed" south coast streams have chinook runs that peak in the second or third week of December w/ early hatchery steelhead strays as a bonus.... :dance: :smash: :dance:

· Registered
463 Posts
Some "unnnamed" south coast streams have chinook runs that peak in the second or third week of December w/ early hatchery steelhead strays as a bonus.... :dance: :smash: :dance:

HEY, HEY, HEY, those are zipper lip places...We dont need everyone from the valley coming down and ruining those little secrets.........

I would think that the elk, sixes, pistol, and chetco will all have some bright chinook, and a few steelies. The biggest problem is timing. Those rivers blow out fast, like overnight sometimes, I use the chetco as a guide for me, when it goes above 4000cfs none of the others will really be worth fishing.

· Banned
1,409 Posts
Looks a little high down their now. I'll be on the Chetco when it comes into shape. Hopefully the weather will turn back to the typical warm fall weather later this week. This cold weather is for the birds. It should be great when it drops.

Kevin Lund

· Registered
13,486 Posts
I suspect someone will have a heart-attack from me posting this, but.......

Only adipose fin-clipped steelhead may be kept, except as noted under possession. Special Regulations for the mainstem Chetco, Elk, North Umpqua, mainstem Umpqua, Pistol, Rogue, Sixes and Winchuck rivers and Hunter and Euchre creeks.

• Where allowed, no more than a total of 1 per day and 5 per year nonadipose fin-clipped steelhead may be taken per year statewide.
In other words, ODFW feel the populations of wild steelhead in these streams are healthy enough to sustain a certain harvest level. If you feel so inclined, you may keep a wild fish on these streams. I personally would probably not, unless it's a bleeder, but I would if I was looking for something to eat.

Also, plenty of chinook around, but small streams are utterly dependent on water conditions. I've had some of my best steelhead days right around Christmas, during big water, on the Rogue, so that's a good option if things are blown.

My .02

TR

· Registered
517 Posts
Be carefull if you plan on bankin the Pistol river as there are a few wack job property owners down that way that will shoot @ you if they feel it need be.Even if your not actually on there property!!!!!.I'd be thinking of the Sixes my self.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

P.S. I'm headed that way as of this evening to fish Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.