IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Frabils (spelling?)are great nets, I have a rubber dip "no tangle", it's kind of heavy and does not glide/proceed through the water like
regular mesh. Hope you have a strong upper torso.
I would give the net a great review if releasing fish quickly is what you'r after.
I have another Frabil with regular netting, much easier to scoup-um up.

Teds sporting goods Lynnwood, Wa. or I have seen them at GI Joes up here also.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Bi-mart used to carry 'em. After having my hand hooked to an angry Salmon TWICE, I use the rubber coated net, don't lift the ones you want to release and get 'em back swimmin' fast! They are a bit heavier, but my girl friend can use it, on the rare occasion that I hook a fish with her in the boat :grin:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
The other day I was talking with Tim Juarez.

I asked him about netting wild salmon, and how he handles things. He says he doesn't net them.

He then got out a really neato tool that I hadn't seen before, and neither had Bill.

We are going to get one!

We've seen hookouts before, but they are usually cheapo, and don't last long.

The one Tim had was made solid and strong.

I found one on the net, here:

HOOKOUT But, it is nearly 90.00!!!

Cabelas has one here, for 26.99

I really think everyone should have one, regardless of cost. I'd sure like to see fish kept out of any net, if possible.

You simply have to have a lanyard on them, though.

Jen

[ 09-08-2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bob's in Longview has the Fabril no tangle nets that look like they have been dipped in rubber. Measure your hoop's diameter and the net's depth you want to replace. They had many different sizes last winter. If you get the right depth you can lay the net on the gunnel and the fish stays in the water at your waterline. Buy it too deep and the fish has too much space to move around.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Garyk,I've got a Beckman,and that thing is awsome. You will not be dissatisfied with that net. Mines 5yrs old and sill good as new.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Thanks Fishhunter, I did not see that offering on the Frabill website, coulda missed it, I'll check out your recomendation.

Freespool, where do you find that brand - I don't see a no-tangle model at FMS or Joes??

To all, I agree about not netting the fish at all if possible. When we can, especially with single hooks, we leave the salmon totally in the water and just grab the hook with pliers. But treble hooks are another story and with those, for everyone's well being, I like to have the fish kind of immobilized in a net.

We just finished our mourning period for a 9-fish Alvin that I lost when I tried to keep a Tule in the water; a nick in the leader caused the 20# Tule to break 40# Maxima leader, and take with him Mrs.Garyk's prized lure. (If you catch an old Tule with a battered wobbler in his left jaw, there's a reward for its return). After that, I want a nice release net; any price is cheaper than the grief.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Anyone have a local source that sells those big, rubberized-basket, no tangle landing nets?

I've checked FMS and Joes and Google/Froogle. Last year I think I saw a couple Tillamook guides with them.

Seems like they're much easier on fish that are to be released.

Any ideas, thanks!

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I second the vote for Beckman nets...

Hey, I posted this gizmo, hoping that someone would have used one, and could tell me how they like them. Tim loves his.

Any info?

Jen

·
Registered
908 Posts
That is a great looking "gizmo" Jen, I end up cutting the leader on most of my Silvers just because they tend to be pretty frisky at the boat. I don't have a problem using needle nose on Kings.

As for Frabill, the net is in the Power Catch series, the one that I use is rubberized and weighted with the deeepest bag they have and an 8' handle. I went with Frabill about 5 years ago when I saw a side by side demonstration of yoke strength with Beckman. Now that was 5 years ago and Beckman could have improved their product but I will stick with my Frabill since it has had zero problems with 1000's of fish in the bottom of the net.

Jim

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Garyk,got mine at FMS about 5yrs ago. My only concern is it only floats for about 1.5min before sinking. Now I have a tether on the handle,no more flying off the top.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jennie,

I have used the de-hooker for two seasons now and find it to be a very good tool. I think I bought mine at Fishermans Marine for less than $20.00. It came with a wrist lanyard which is a must and I spray it frequently with WD 40 or Marine Guard to prevent rusting. The $90 model is Stainless Steel and will not have the rust problem but the cost is prohibitative to me. Spraying works and so does the de-hooker!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts