IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Anyone have a good tip for where to find an aftermarket prop for my four year old Honda BF8hp?

What I'm looking for is a finer pitch. The factory prop is 8 5/8pitch - (yes, an odd fractional pitch). And it just trolls too fast.

So, I thought about trying something in the 7"pitch range that would allow the motor to run slightly faster and smoother. There may be a factory one available, but for experimenting I'd like to find a less expensive source - know of any?

The Ampro shop may be able to do something for me, but I thought I'd start here. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Gary --- Just let me use that motor for a few days upriver, then it won't ever troll that boat too fast again. :grin:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Have you adjusted the idle speed on the carb? My 15 was running to many rpms until I readjusted the air mixture than the idle speed. Now it just purrs like a kitten. :smile:

If not, look at Cabalas, they list props.

Giz...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Garyk, I have a 9.9 Honda Power Thrust that has a 10-inch dia.X 6 1/2-inch pitch 4 blade that trolls down as slow as I want to go.

The standard 9.9 comes with a 9 1/4" X 8-inch pitch 4 blade. In Honda's new catalog they show that the new BF 8 Honda comes with the same blades as the 9,9 either a 10 X 6 1/2 (power thrust) or a 9 1/4 X 8" standard prop..

I was telling a friend at work about the big Dia. low pitch prop that I have because he said that his 10 year old 9.9 Honda trolls to fast. So he bought the 10" X 6 1/2" like mine and it slowed him way down and gives him alot more push for backing up against the currant, turning around etc etc... not alot of speed but way more torque....another friend has a 20' Hewes with a Honda 9.9 standard prop ( 9 1/4" X 8") and we can never troll slow enough and it doesn't back up very good so he is going to try one also

you might keep this prop in mind .....Honda 10 X 6 1/2 ....they claim 60% more backing up power and torque...lower speed

I know I like mine... on slack water I can troll at 2 tenths of a mile an hour or slower if I want to... according to my trolling speedometer...

I haven't looked in Cabela's to see if they carry this particular prop but I know that they do sell small outboard props.

Wright Angle

P.S. The friend that bought the OEM Honda 10" X 6 1/2" paid $80.00 for it at Kelso Marine...I think they had to order it???

[ 05-28-2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
This thread, and others like it is why these boards are so useful to me. Something I never knew, but is very useful. Most likely I will apply this tidbit somewhere.

Thanks to you all.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Ditto on what Flatfish said... I also have the Honda 8 and want slower trolling speeds.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I had the same problem with my 8hp Honda. Too fast a troll. My top plug would foul a lot too. The answer was to fiddle with the fuel/air mixture. The problem was that the average person cannot adjust it due to a brass plug blocking the screw. This happened during Springer season. I called NW jet and talked to the mechanic there. He said not to touch it but to bring it in and he would have a look at it. I replied that this was an emergency as I was currently fishing at the Wind River. He then said "well, what we do is go ahead and use a 1/8 inch drill and pull it out with an easy out and adjust from there. Be careful not to drill too deep. Also do not run the mixture too lean". My motor has never run as good as it does now. Trolls just the right speed now to rip the Springers lips. I am gonna look into the bigger prop idea. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Call Independent Marine Propeller in St. John's. THey stock Michigan props and may even be able to change the pitch on the prop you have.

Get Bit

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thumper - Thanks for the offer, now I know why your river has all those shiney rocks in the riffles :grin:

Gizmo - Yes, I adjusted the idle speed, but couldn't adjust the air/fuel mix which caused problems.

Thanks Orca, initially I thought maybe a non-OEM prop would be a lot cheaper.

Wright Angle - Thanks for the explanation of the PowerThrust prop. I'll double check if it has the same hub/spline configuration to fit my motor. It sounds like a good solution at a reasonable price.

That you can troll at .2mph is really something. On our 179 Hewes, with the Honda 8 idled down, and about 75# of weight in the bow, plus two medium sea anchors out I can only slow to about .5-.7mph.

This year, taking Talons advice, I really concentrated on trolling at .6mph (thus all those above adjustments) and feel it made big difference in our success.

FearNoFish - thanks for the tip on accessing the mixture screw. And especially, about your top plug fouling. I had the same problem going on and was concerned that maybe that cylider's rings were going bad.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again all, and here's a couple things I've learned:

1. The Honda Powerthrust props, like Wrightangle's really sweet 10x6.5 only fit powerthrust motors. My 1999 BF8 is not one :depressed: .

2. I don't really have much choice other than a Michigan 9.25x7".

3. However, Independant Marine Propeller (286-3552)under the St.Johns Bridge will either sell me one of those Michigan props for $86, or, modify my existing prop down to a 7-pitch for about $32; which is what I'm gonna try.

Happy slow trolling!

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get Bit - Thanks, they're convenient, I'm checking into it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Garyk, you might call Mike at Kelso marine and hardware (360) 636-3000 and ask him about the power thrust props. When I was looking to buy my kicker I talked to several dealers about the power thrust motors and props and they all told me the same thing. The only difference between the power thrust motor and the standard motor was the sticker on the back of the motor that says Power Thrust and the diameter and pitch of the prop ...in fact when I wanted to order a new power thrust motor all the dealers said it would be cheaper to buy the standard motor and a power thrust prop then I would have the motor and both props for less money...

The friend that put the power thrust prop on his 10-year-old Honda 9.9 said that he didn't have much clearance between his anti-cavatation (sp) plate and the prop but the shaft size hub/spline was right. (But his 10-year-old motor might be different) So I came home and checked my clearance and I don't have much ether, about 3/16" is all...

The Honda BF-8 might be different but they both sure look the same (8 and 9.9) when you see a line of them side by side at the dealer. In Hondas catalog the only difference is the RPM range on the motors, the 9.9 has a higher RPM range, that's where the extra HP comes from. They both are the same weight and dimensions. I think the lower unit on the power thrust is the same also, it sure looks like it.

All of this said I could still be wrong...Im just going by what the dealers told me..I will find out myself here soon as Im going to try my prop on my friend 20' Hewes and his 2000 9.9 to see how he likes it before he buys one.....good luck....Wright Angle

[ 05-30-2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Wright Angle!

The info about the PowerThrust prop not fitting my 1999 BF8 came from Sportcraft Marina and I took it at face value.

It's very interesting that you got completely different information from a variety of other dealers.

I really want that 6.5-pitch prop, so I thank you again for taking the time to detail all of that, and I'll be back on the phone today.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I bought a 7' pitch for my honda bf8 from Sportcraft Marina 503-656-6484 in OC, I paid about 70 or 80 for it. This marina has everything for Hondas you can imagin. The 7 works REALLY well on my 19' TJ. I think that a 6.5 would be too slow, besides, you would have to get the 7" bent cause Mich Props don't make a 6.5. So really give the 7 a try before you go to the prop shop with it. Let me know how it works out for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts