IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do'es anyone know how long they will hold air if
the tab is never pulled ???.I'm thinking about replaceing the ones I have cus their about 5-6 yrs old.Should I do it just because I'm a little worried about them or are they alright ??
Anybody know :shrug:
Bob

[ 08-28-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
They are sealed CO2 cannisters. They should last forever. I had a bunch of them from WWII and they all worked just fine. Sooz and I test ours once a year and replace, but the reason for testing them is not the cannisters, but to test the integrity of the air bladder.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't know how long they will last but it cannot hurt to replace them. Maybe even yank the cord to inflate the vest and ensure the flotation part is still expands and stays expanded.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Bought 2 yesterday at Joes they are on sale for $60 in case anyone needs one. According to the Stearns manual There are no indicators to show that the CO2 cylinder is full. The cylinder needs to be replaced if there is any visible damage on flat surface where its screws into the inflation mechanism. They have a protective coating that may wear off after a period of use or exposure to the environment, the cylinder may start to rust if this occurs replace the cylinder. If you have a postal scale you can verify it meets the minimum weight imprinted on the cylinder. You should also inspect the shell fabric, seams, webbing attachments, buckles slides etc. Stearns strongly recommend the device be inspected by a certified repair facility at least every 24 months. They also suggest a manual leak test every 2 months using the oral valve to check for punctures in the shell fabric.

[ 08-28-2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: First Light Bite ]

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Who around Portland carries the SOSpenders? Cabelas has them but never get around to ordering and I want to start wearing PFD when afloat. I have heard more people happy with them than the Stearns. Any insight?

Thanx

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've not tried the Stearns but own the SOSpenders. They are awesome. I wear mine whenever afloat.

I believe Sportsman's carries them. I know they carry the canisters.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I don't like the SOSpenders. They can't be kept partially inflated like the inflatable jackets and vests. If I fall in I want to float, concious or otherwise. The automatic-inflation versions sometimes get their pills damp enough to inflate without warning, according to some.

Take a look at the new Stearns fishing vests and the Stormy Seas products. Wear them with a little air in them all the time. Great stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts