IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know if there is such a critter as Sockeye jacks like there are Chinook jacks. Do all salmon have jacks? Never fished for Sockeye, but don`t they run a little more north than the central and north Oregon coast? Like BC and above? Just an interesting discussion going on here at work. Thanx all before hand. :shrug: :grin: Fishft.

K

·
0 Posts
There are sockeye in the Columbia System. I don't know how far south they were historically though. They usually need a lake to rear the smolts in.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Keta! Very interesting! Have you ever caught any in the big CR? I imagine you have in AK, how good do they fight? Troller fisher in AK huh? I used to do that here out of Newport in the 70`s when I was a spring chicken. Didn`t make much but sure enjoyed it out there on the big blue. Liked it so much I joined "uncle sam`s canoe club" :grin: afterward just to get more time in on the big water! (and boy did I!). Still wondering about Sockeye jacks though. VERY tight lines! :tongue: Fishft.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
A good sized sockeye fights, well something like this:
Take an early Summer Steelhead, pump it full of steroids and caffeine then tie it to a sockeye the same size.
The sockeye would tow the steelhead around like it wasn't even there..... :shocked:

K

·
0 Posts
Never caught one in the Columbia. Hundreds in Alaska. Some in the 12-15 pound range.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Fraser River B.C. Go in August and Sept... :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Fishfeet-

In the late 70's and early 80's the ODFW experimented with introducing Sockeye on the North and South Forks of the Santiams. I believe this experiment was to try and bring back Sockeye to rivers that, in the past, used to produce these fish. The runs used to be quite large actually (both hatchery and, in the past, natives). But, around '82 (my memory is fuzzy), there was a disease that nearly wiped out the entire population of hatchery fish, both spawners and fry. Again, I do not remember the specifics, but for the most part, it decimated the run, scared the ODFW, and therefore, the ODFW decided to terminate Sockeye produciton. Check with some of the hatchery workers, they might still get the odd stragler every now and then.

Also, FYI, there is a river off of Lake Washington in Seattle (Cedar, down in Renton?), that still has a Sockeye run. But most people fish for them in the lake.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Keta has it about right. No fish I have ever caught can beat a bright sockeye. They go absolutely balistic. Best fighting fish, lb for lb, in my opinion. I think the Columbia used to have some enormous sockeye runs, with lots of them headed to the Snake. The smolts usually spend a period of time in lakes before they head out. Oh yeah, nothing eats better than a fresh sockeye. Very tasty.

Steelie28

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Sockeye are turbocharged beasts from hades when hooked, they run and make airtime that would impress Michael Jordan.
I had the fun of working on a river in AK years ago and when the sockeyes came through it was total mayhem.
Fairly tough to hook fair but they would hammer sparse flies and lures if you could keg them up below a riffle.
I burned out two drag clutches on my fly reel on only 4 fish during my play time, the same clutch took two years of Summer steelhead action on the "D" to wear it out.
Very cool fish and darn good eatin'... :cheers:

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like fun guy`s, but pull a steelie around??? whaaa---?? That would be a hootnahalf!!! Where they at ? Let me at em`! :laugh: :laugh: :grin:

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:grin: WOW!!! Now I am impressed, two clutches on one fishing trip?? OhmaGawwd!!! I`ll get around to chasing those guy`s one of these days when I get rich and famous :laugh: :laugh: . PASteelheader, the N. Santiam area is where I grew up. Don`t remember ever hearing about a Sockeye run up there. I used to talk to a few of the old timers that were around there before Detroit and Bigcliff dams were installed, a couple told me of the huge Dolly Vardens that used to be in the system, but nothing about Sockeye`s. Wouldn`t it be great to see a run established again? Thanx for the input yall! Fishft.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I have to dissagree that sockeye fight harder than summer or wild winter steelhead. I have caught more sockeye than most have (10+years fishing the kenai every summer, 5 years resident) I have had silvers that fight much harder, but lb for lb nothing fights like a upper kenai bow. I had about a 12-13lber take me into my backing this year (only fish that did). Mad mikey, thats cool you figured out how to make them bite, the only thing I could ever hook them them on was leader :wink: .

K

·
0 Posts
WRoutlaw,
I've caught most of them in saltwater and they did fight harder than the coho we were targeting.

[ 10-26-2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
But do they fight harder than shad?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
MM is right. 2 or 3 years back we took one of the cheap flyouts from kenai across cook inlet to a place called wolverine creek. The sockeye were stacked up at the mouth of the little creek, and between bear buffets we hooked dozens. They would slam a small fly cast up into faster water right below the riffle. I was also told earlier this year they will hit an orange or flourescent pink hook...wro or keta any experience with that?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
WRO,

The river I was at, the Talachulitna, also called the "Tal" had an impressive run of sockeye that would come through all in about a weeks time. Man were they in a hurry too.
At this time of the year the water was fairly low so here's how we did it:

Stand about 2,3,4 guys in the fast shallow stuff above the hole. Using Teeny200's we would use a very sparse green or blueish fly and just stand there waving the flies back and forth in front of the fish piling up. The fish kept getting crowded and more agitated as they would not want to go PAST us. Every once in a while a dozen or so fish would charge us then change their minds at our feet and do an explosive 180 degree turn back to the hole, usually drenching one or more of us.
We usually started getting hits after that and the fish WOULD take em' in the mouth, occasionally one would try to smack it with the side of their head but we hardly ever snagged any.
People who tried to snag em' were kicked off the drift.
We had all five Pacific salmon species in the river at that time in varying states of condition and we would occasionally get sockeye to hit bunny leeches or whatever else we tried just casting and swinging/stripping.
All in all they were still pretty tough to get consistently. Blocking the top of the hole was the most effective although a bit unorthodox I thought.
That's my experience with the beasts and IMO they were pound for pound the craziest thing I've ever fought on flygear. I've a had a few big "D" native steelhead beat me up pretty badly but they were far and few between when comparing them in general to the sockeye I got to tangle with. :cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did catch a sockeye on the Columbia about six years ago. I was fishing for steelhead off the bank below Bonneville dam Plunking a spinner.
I know that Sockeye in the Columbia are heading for Redfish Lake in Idaho. The reason why they call it Redfish Lake is that when the runs used to be strong, the lake would turn red with Sockeye coming to spawn. If you ever get a chance to visit the lake, their are pictures that support this at the lodge. When I landed the fish and realized it was a sockeye, I was surprised that he was hooked in the mouth. I have heard that sockeye aren't aggressive but I can tell you that therre was at least one that was. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Wasn't that about the time only 6 of them showed up at the lake???
I have a buddy who hooked one below Bonnie one of those years where only 5 or 6 sockeye made it back and boy was he shaking as he released it.
I think the fish whacked a casted plug too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts