IFish Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was quite surprised to see the response this fish generated here in our absence.
The story: My friend Joe moved to Idaho a few years back and comes over every Fall to see relatives and usually hooks up with me to go fishing. Bobby and I were in Tillamook for 3 days this weekend and I called him to come over Sunday and wet a line as he is leaving Tuesday morning. He made the drive over and we ran out to Kinchelow to drop some pots. We hit the Ghost hole at first light and chatted about Joe's only salmon he has ever caught, a 11 lb coho last year. He had that thing mounted. He is a sucker for a fish on the wall. He said he has 8 different fish on the wall at home. I told him he gets to have the first fish of the day, knowing it was going to be better than a 11 lb coho. It was. We were on the downhill troll nearing Sandstone point in 14 feet of water. I was about to say reel them up so we could turn around and one of the rods off the back takes a hit. We use snubbers, so we let it bite until the rod burried and we set the hook. We all reeled up and handed the rod to Joe. At first, there was nothing unusual about the battle, but after about 6-7 minutes of tugowar and we havn't made much progress on the fish I began to wonder. I thought maybe a sea lion had it and was running or something. I took the rod and worked it for a bit and than handed it back to Joe. It took about 15 minutes or so, but we netted what was the biggest fish I have personally ever seen.
We all sat there doing the Joey Lawrence whoa.....and Joe started calling his brother here in town and than some guy in Idaho that mounted a couple of trout for him. Joe wanted to get this thing on ice per the guy in Idaho's instructions so we ran into the dock. We carried the cooler to Joe's car and Bobby went to get my rig and trailer. Than I remembered the crab pots, Bobby, I and Bobby's friend ran back out to Kinchelow and pulled the pots, sorting through keepers and dinks for four pots took about 30 minutes. I got a call from Joe that he was on his way back to town and thanked me very much. I asked him to wait as the fish needed to be weighed and bragged about. (looks like Chris was taking care of that here) He kept on going......the three of us went back to the Ghost Hole and the Coast Guard hole and the ocean without a bite.
I had two guys coming to fish with us Monday or I would have picked up and went home than. I called Joe and he was following directions from the guy in Idaho that was going to mount this masterpiece. I told him I would like to come over Monday evening and get a picture of it. He said fine and I couldn't sit still the entire day today. We finished fishing and cleaned everything, dropped the pots back off in Bay City and headed for Bill's house. Today is my daughters birthday, so I had to be quick because we were going out to dinner. We got to Bill's and Joe was there waiting for us. He had his camera ready to go on a tripod so we hoisted this thing as best we could. I told him I want a million prints of this pic and demanded that I get to have the trophy on my wall for a year after he has it for a year. I rushed home, cleaned the boat, myself and met my lovely and understanding family for dinner. When I got home, the picture and lots of emails from you great folks were in my mail box.
Now I know your gonna give me crap about it being Black and White, but Joe took the picture and there was nothing I could do about that.

All I can say now, is Whoa.............

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Suuuuuweeeee! That's a braggable pig for sure.

·
Registered
733 Posts
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: whoa..... your the man.... joco

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
WOW!!! :shocked: Did you get measuerments? How long is that monster. This is worth the wait. Thanks for sharing.

G

·
If that's a hook holding it up, egg on my face and bowdown. :blush:

[ 11-10-2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
I enlarged it 1600% and looked for irregular pixilation ... couldn't find any. The pic looks real to me. Would have been nice if the fish had been weighed by someone who could vouch for it, but there's no doubt it's a monster!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nice fish guys..you had us all waiting on pins and needles. :grin: Thanks for the post. So did you get an official weight and measurements ?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Looks to be hanging from the same hook in Zaq's photo the other day....
All I can say is: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Nice freeking job carrot dudes, Nice job - epecially handing off what turned out to be a fish of a lifetime to the guest.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Zaq and Bobby,
that is quite some hog. I was hoping you guys would come thru and that this wasn't some joke. For all the doubters it's time for them to bite there tongue and give it up to you guys.
What were the measurements on that beast anyhow?
Great job TCM.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I looked really hard, then sent it to our imagery analysys guy. If it's a fake it's done with some really expensive software. I'd bet my luckiest K-14, K-15 and Mag Wart it's real.

Props Karrot Bro's...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
We never weighed the beast and that's what drove us crazy but we don't want to relive that moment again. When the mounting job is done we will take are own pics and post them.

Who knows maybe it weighed 68 pounds :shrug:

Bobby

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
SWEET FISH GUYS!!! :cheers: :bowdown: HOLY MACKAREL!!!! :shocked: :shocked: That thing's HUGE!!

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm amazed at all the sceptics up in here. These guys are nice enough to give us a detailed posts with pics, offer up an empty seat once in a while, and share how they go about catching there fish. I for one think some apologies are due.

So Zaq and Bobby, you want these guys to apologize on this thread or should they start a new one ? :grin:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Awesome fish guys. Thanks for following through with the post and thank your familys as well! :cheers: Team carrot milk :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.