IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO the wife asked me this dreaded question this morning?

Why do you hunt?

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,, its a long answer", was my answer.

So,,i know she's just jackin with my head but it worked, it got me thinking. Why do I hunt? I kinda know the answer but its hard to put into words.

My question to you'all now is,, Why do YOU hunt?

· Registered
14,116 Posts
I agree w/ Phil. I simply point to the freezer and the package of meat unthawing on the counter for dinner.
I was told by my wife last year that the freezer was getting low and I needed to do a little more Hunt'nFish to fix the situation.
Ok sweety, will do. :D

But to be honest that is only a small part of why we hunt & fish. I think it's just because we like being outdoors.
I also think it's in our genes. Just like how we love to sit and stare at a campfire in silence.
Man has been doing it for tens of thousands of years and we just feel right and at peace when we're doing it.

Whatever the reasons, I simply enjoy it.
Hunt'nFish

· Registered
8,638 Posts
When I was younger the hunt was all about filling my tag. Now that I am older and wiser :D. I still hunt for the meat but even that is a bit cheesy of answer because for the amount of money spent on a lb of meat it is very costly although the meat is good and its organic.:wink:

I hunt because its in my blood I love being out to see the sun rise and smell the morning. I enjoy the comrade of the guys I hunt with and the jokes. The highs and lows of the hunt. The anticipation of every morning is what keeps me going I never know what the day will bring. I walk all year to stay in some what shape for hunting it motivates me 12 months out of the year.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
I have 3 girls (2 teenagers and 1 that thinks she is a teen), and my wife runs a daycare from home.... You draw your own conclusions why I hunt.....:D Seriously though.... Hunt&Fish nailed it for me....:applause:

· Registered
23,974 Posts
it's so pure, you never know whats in store when you walk into the hills. it's one thing i feel like i can always get better at. no matter how wore out i get, it is still the most relaxing feeling, i don't know exactly why i hunt, but i do have to:D

· Registered
485 Posts
Because I have too much excess cash and needed a way to dispose of some of it.:wink:

Seriously though. It's because I'm a carnivore and enjoy my place at the top of the food chain. It's because I love the places which my quarry calls home. It's because I'm a little bit of an adrenaline junky and nothing gets my heart pumping quite like that moment when the the prey is in my sights.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these are the top three....and that's all I have to say about that.

· Registered
844 Posts
I too feel you don't have to be in a church to have god listen to you. Being out in the woods helps to keep me centered and gets my kids away from all the crap in the world that is trying to drag them down the wrong path. It's not about filling the tag, it's about the spark and fire I see in my boys eyes. It's about our pointer on a hard point or even better a far out hard honor point, it's about our boys and our pointer working together to corner a running pheasant and making a sweet shot. These are just some of the reasons I keep doing it. Hunt

· Banned
5,548 Posts
To Enjoy Nature
To Occasionally fill the freezer
For the Solitude
To have a reason to get outside
For the adrenaline rush when the animal walks into view without it knowing you're there.
To observe animals in ways no non-hunter can
For the exercise
Because I love campfires

To Enjoy the World the way it was intended to be enjoyed. Concrete Free.

My girlfriend actually recently wrote a blog similar to the question...a question she answers for herself though her, limited, experiences hunting so far.

To sum it up;
"Learning how to hunt hasn’t made me a better hunter – it’s made me a better steward, a better Oregonian, and a better person."
if anyone cares to read it - http://wp.me/pGqPK-91

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.