IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reported a couple of jet skiers at the Toledo boat ramp that had lost power of their craft, one of which were being taken upstream on the tide from the ramp. The one without a wetsuit jumped from the ramp and tried to swim to the other guy with the craft. The local fire dept was dispatched to the ramp just as the two had gotten the craft to the ramp after finally getting out of the current and back to the ramp. My question is when should one summon help? Did I do the right thing? Or was I jumping the gun so to speak? The swimmer that went to the aid of his friend had nothing but swim trunks on, and didn't look like he was an olympic swimmer. The water is very cold here...can you say hypothermia? Is summoning the rescue folks out there for this not neccesary? or do I have to wait until someone dissapears from the water? I hate to burdon the rescue/police/EMT people to something that may be not an issue, but what the heck, I'm a fool, and they're still alive.... and I guess that if was a problem, they (help) were there.

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
You did what you thought was right, and everyone is still alive.

Better safe then drowning.

Jen

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,165 Posts
I'm sure if you asked the rescuers they would much rather come to an under-control situation than a tragedy. You did the right thing.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
The right moment is a split second. On either side are too soon and too late. Which would you rather be?

I have been involved in five water rescues. Four were successful. In each of the successful rescues I acted before I was certain that the person was in dire straights based on intuition and experience. In the fifth instance, I had to paddle an air matress across a lake (Battleground)in order to get to where the victim went down. While I traveled 1/4 mile to the scene, others sat on their tubes nearby shouting that someone had gone down. I was the first to dive for the victim. On the second or third dive in 30 feet of water, a Lifegaurd and I pulled up the man who was inebriated and swimming in his blue jeans. He was Lifeflighted out unconscious on a respirator but died en route.

Act on your gut feelings. Too soon is always better than too late.

N

·
0 Posts
If they would have been in more trouble, they would owe you their lives.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
As a guy who does it for a living, I can assure you that we do not mind being called as a precautionary measure. It's what we signed up to do.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Snakebite,

Ask the rescue crew who came out. Having seen the situation, they could give you the best answer.

I know what you mean about calling 911, it's kind of embarrassing.

I was driving down Marine Drive one rainy night near the airport I think I see headlights rolling off the road toward the airport. I'm a mile away so I slow down when I get to the spot.

Nothing.

Hmm...drive back a ways and see a car near the airport fence but the lights are out, no skid marks or anything...maybe that was there for a while.

I call 911 anyway. Cop shows up...he doesn't see anything and I'm feeling stupid. Finally he sees the car. Gets out...sure enough...it's warm.

A bunch of cops show up and they find the driver about 200 feet away. Stunned but OK.

I was the only one who saw it. The only call they got. If I hadn't called who knows what would have happened to the driver.

It certainly upped my courage level to call 911 the next time I "think" I see something.

Brion

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
better safe than sorry, in all cases. you did the right thing. it would have only taken one little thing to make that situation dangerous or even deadly. luckily for them, that one little thing wasn't there.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
You did the right thing. :cheers:

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
As a former firefighter/emt, you did it exactly right. Too many people "wait" or try to "help out" , sometimes with bad consequences. Bravo, way to go. :cheers: :bowdown: :bowdown: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I know the feeling, Snakebite. However, it is better to call early in a situation than wait for it to spiral out of control. I was a volunteer firefighter/First Responder, and I never got annoyed when an emergency turned out to be OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts