IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it from my mom a few months ago. Contained tackle and a reel. Any of this stuff unique or is it pretty much just common old standard fair?

Don't plan on getting rid of any. Thinking about polising up the spoons that aren't too beat up to maybe framin' them or the like. From what I recall my mom sayin' - he did mostly lake fishing in the upper penninsula of Michigan.

Any input appreciated.

StinkyH

The pic is kinda dark as I didn't use a flash(didn't want bright reflections off the spoons).

[ 10-14-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reel is a Criterion Level Winding Shakespeare - model 1960. From what I found on the web - it's pretty standard fare? Pretty neat lookin. :smile:

StinkyH

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
I'm no expert. In fact, I'm no amateur about old tackle either.

But I do have an odd assortment of old lures and such that I've accumulated and inherited from my late "grampa", and other sources. I thought there was some collector value in what I had, but I don't think it's worth too much.

My opinion is to keep what you like, try it when the mood strikes you, and be happy with the memory. It is worth way more than the fish you may catch.

The intrigue of fishing with old tackle is worth more to me than using the Hot Bait of the day in the boat next to me. But that's just me... :smile:

Catch some fish on those old lures dude! :dance:

[ 10-09-2003, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: WheresMyBobber ]

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Whoa!!!
Looks like a GOLD MINE of memories there. If they could only talk! I really like the Red and white 3 spooned Devil. Looks like some good wall mounts there and a pic of Grandpa to go with.

[ 10-10-2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That reminds me, I have my grandpas old boat tackle box in the garage. Every time I open it up lots of great memories come flowing out of it.
Thanks for the reminder.
MM

·
Registered
36 Posts
A cool thing to do would be to put these in a deep picture frame with glass. Maybe a frame shop could give you some ideas. Or maybe find a coffee table with a drawer and pull the top off and put in a piece of glass and arrange the lures over some natural river rocks.
I also inherited my grandpa's tackle boxes and want to do the lures justice and not snag them on rocks at our local river. I get upset enough when it happens to my new tackle.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I love Grandpa's old tackle boxes. Waitaminit! I'm Grandpa! :shocked:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thats great stuff when you have old memories like that, especially handed down by grampas!

I inherited my wife's grampa old fishing tackle box and he had neat stuff in there too.

fishingaddict.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by worm drowner:
A cool thing to do would be to put these in a deep picture frame with glass. Maybe a frame shop could give you some ideas. Or maybe find a coffee table with a drawer and pull the top off and put in a piece of glass and arrange the lures over some natural river rocks.
I also inherited my grandpa's tackle boxes and want to do the lures justice and not snag them on rocks at our local river. I get upset enough when it happens to my new tackle.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Thanks for the ideas.

StinkyH

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I bought a similar tackle box full of about the same stuff. Got it at an estate sale up the street and I was excited to see all the old lures, hooks, and such. I took it home and began to go through it.

I quickly realized the box was exactly the way the ol' man had left it the last time he went fishing. It struck me how personal this tackle box was. It was his collection, his thoughts, his hopes, his memories right there. Made me look at it as more than just some gear but a man's fishing history.

I cleaned it up a little and put it up on the shelf. Now when I see gear for sale I take a minute to realize it is more than fishing gear.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I did the same, display them. They are worth their weight in gold that way. So much nostalga.
I have all my gramps old fishing stuff, including
fishing licenses from the 40's and 50's, old boy scout stuff of his. Even some really old jars of salmon eggs. No way I'll ever open those! :shocked:
enjoy the memories, and just imagine all the fun he had catching those fish back then.
GBS

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
That is the biggest I-Fish picture I have ever seen.

It does help with the detail of what you found.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I was re-looking at all the good stuff and noticed that I also inherited that same steel tackle box from my Great Uncle.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by jet:
That is the biggest I-Fish picture I have ever seen.

It does help with the detail of what you found.

Jet~~~
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I was somewhat apprehensive about posting the high res with respect to the dial-up users out there but it woulda killed the detail.

I did increase the .jpg compression though to get it to half the file size of the original. :smile:

Glad people are enjoying it. I'm gonna try to find a display frame/box for some of them.

Thanks again for the ideas. :smile:

StinkyH

·
Registered
516 Posts
Go to any craft store and ask for a shadow box. Find the right size and then use felt or other backing, secure your lures on with thread add a few pictures and it will look great.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've never seem most of that stuff, since my grampa didn't fish much, and my dad always fishes for trout, but I think it's cool to look at old tackle and imagine the trips some of those lures went on............Beautiful stuff!! :smile:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts