IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, where do I begin?

Went down to the boat ramp about 6:30 this morning to say hi to Brad (UG) whom I had fished with before. Saw his post late last night that he was going to be at the ramp and leave at 7:00am.

Brad was nowhere to be found but there were two guys putting there boat in the water and started waving and yelling at me. I looked behind me to see who they might have been yelling at and no one was behind me.

I go out of the van and me and Mason walked down there and it was Lucky Luke (who recognized me or the van) and Snapshot whom I had never met before.

They tried there damndest to talk me into going but I had not showered or eaten yet.

They twisted my arm a couple more times real hard to where it hurt and I was on my way home to get my coyote spoon and diver (I was not going without them).

When we were finally getting underway (approx. 7:30-7:45) I saw one of the semi-locals Greg and found out they were already in with there 4 salmon. Wow! I felt bad because I held them up! Greg told us they got there fish in about 200’ of water straight out. We were off to the races!

It wasn’t but a minute or two of trolling and something ate my chartreuse/fishscale coyote spoon. Must have been a native because it spit it out.

After I hooked 4 or 5 fish and they weren’t getting bit the bait came off of Lucky’s rod and Snapshot switched to chartreuse.

Wasn’t long and while the charters were whining about there slow bite we had 6 coho (hatchery) in the boat and off to the zipperlip rockfish hole.

The ocean and weather was beautiful and what a day it was!

Lucky Luke and Snapshot with 4 of the 6 coho:

I was the first to get into the bass:

Then Snapshot caught on!

Then Luke caught on:

Then we started catching doubles!

Then they started catching doubles!

Then Luke get’s his first Ling!

And then the final tally and this pic doesn’t do it justice!

I’m so glad they talked me into it because we all had a great day and I was able to teach them how and where to catch rockfish. (not to mention taking home a big mess of fish)!

After filleting all the fish for them with a sharp knife for a change and no hangover, I filleted a limit of Chinook and coho for a charter boat.

Thought I was home scott free and as I was driving out of the port dock area I noticed this ugly green boat across the bay over at the Tradewinds dock. Guess who?

I yelled at them across the bay and here I was late in the afternoon filleting fish for Brad (UG) and a friend of his and the crazy “Wild Dawg Hawg”. Great to see those guys again.

Wait ‘till you see there catch! I thought we did good!

Got to go and pick up dinner before this big town locks up for the night!

Oh yea, the final tally for the three of us was; 6 coho, 30 bass and two ling’s. We could have got the remaining 4 lings but they decided they had caught enough (not to mention their long drive home)!

Dano

Day 14!

[ 07-26-2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Snapshot, that boat looks familiar! Congratulations on blooding it so well. When are you gonna invite me? Doc

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thank Dan, I hope this makes up for the time we missed you at the dock. It was a lot of fun and good company all day long. Lucky Luke didn't hook any crab pot ropes or dolphins this trip so it was a ho hum run for us. Solid performance Dan. Next time we will target the nooks and cod.

This was my first shot at fishing for the rock bass and it was a real surprise. Some of them hit very hard and put up a good fight. We caught them so fast that Dan could not keep up with an accurate count for Lucky Luke and I. We were putting on a clinic for the charter boat that decided to come in close and push us off our spot.
ON a day like this it is real hard to find fault with any part of it. We had a great time, good company, nice boat and equipment and lots of blood. And I mean lots of blood all over my new boat carpets and gunnel and seats and me and everywhere. I don't know if it was worth it or not but it BETTER CLEAN UP or someone will not be back. My wife will shoot me for sure.

Dr Strangelove, you are welcome aboard any day as you need to get in on this. Rags and I are going and have invited you. Just need an answer asap so we can book out reservations.

Great time Dan and Luke, Let's do this one more time but with less blood in the boat. It looked like a slaughter house at the end of the day.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Ray - hydrogen peroxide will dissolve blood in quick order and a power washer set lower than concrete blast will take care of most surfaces. Call me tomorrow after services and we'll set up some fishing time. Thanks and Congrats again. Doc.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc,

Let me know sometime if you are coming down to Depoe Bay.
I would like to send some fresh filets home with you for my mom in Vancouver if you wouldn't mind.

She lives on 83rd court I believe (it is off of Andresen & 83rd - exit 32).

She would come by and pick them up.

Dan

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
That's nice that you guys met up!
Looks like a lot of nice fish!

Congrats! :smile:

It looks flat calm, or almost, out there. How was it?

Jen

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
It wasn't flat, but it wasn't bad either. 4 foot swell and 1 foot wind chop in the AM... chop picked up to around 3 in the afternoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Snapshot, I have a little bag of tackle that Dan sent home with me for you. I live in Tigard, and I guess your in Tualatin?

Email me for directions to my house.

UG

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Congrats guys on a great day on the ocean and a nice catch.

Dan - You up for a short trip for some bottom fishing tomorrow? I wanna get out on the water for a while tomorrow, and then get in early to gas it up for fridays halibut run. Since the fuel dock is only open tomorrow and friday (during the week), I figure I oughta take advantage of what I can get.

Might go chase a few salmon, then head out for some bottom fishing, maybe some deep water fishing, if you're interested. :grin:

I'm working 12-24:00 this evening, so just leave me a phone message, or email me and lemme know.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Snapshot,
You're going to wear that new boat out! Or maybe wear yourself out. Nice catch! It was fun the day before crabbing and catch and release Sturgeon fishing. I don't know why more people don't do the C&R for Sturgeon. It's a blast. I'll post our pictures latter.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Luke, as always it was my pleasure and I am sorry about falling all over those fish scattered all over the boat. Guess I have to buy a bigger cooler.

Dan, as stated earlier, you da MAN, and a great contributor to our IFISH board. I am certain that we all appreciate your concerns in our success.

maybe next time we can bring Dr Strangelove with us and we can do this all over again.

Doc, you would have to bring the Peroxide and we all look forward to test your skills with a scalpel. You might learn something from Dan as he can cut and sling with the best of them.

Luke and I will have to stand back and watch in amazement, I am sure.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Are the Sea Bass very good eating in any of your opinions? We have literally caught hundreds of these things up at Neah Bay, but we always release them. I was told that the meat is soft and bland. Maybe someone has some insight for me on this or maybe a good Sea Bass recipe. :grin:

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
A great time was had by all. :cheers:

The ifishers are a wonderful group of people. Thank you, Ray, for having me along, and thanks, Dan for showing us how to fish for those rock fish. It was a very memorable day. I look forward to fishing with you again.

Jennie, thanks go to you for fostering and guiding this large forum of good people with a like interest. I look forward to meeting you at ifish stock.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Sea Bass are delicious!
Must be cooled and filleted quickly, but are excellent for deep frying, baking, or steaming in mine and my wifes opinion. Aren't as good as lings, china's or quillback, but good!
Either batter and fry, or season with your favorite stuff and bake or steam.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Thanks WildHawg.. :cheers: Maybe I'll keep a few and try them this year. I didn't know the China's were good either. Thanks Again...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts