IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.... I was just reading the "2 things I don't like about my Alumaweld" thread.

A snap-on bow cover came up, and I was wonderin' if any of my fellow ifishers had any ideas/insights about whether they work, the cost, availability, and who's the best to go to for installation....

I have a 19' Stryker, and since I'm a relative newbie to this size of boat, I didn't know such a thing was even available.... although it's something I've clearly needed (especially last fall in a westerly wind of 20-30mph at the mouth of the Klickitat, and then again, coming back from the John Day a couple of months ago)... :rolleyes:

"Top Gun" canvas seems to be the cloth of choice for this application... Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks, Tim :smile:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
there's a shop that makes boat tops in milwaukie, We had our top and bow cover made there. They do good work. I'd recommend a good bow cover, it's nice it rough water. It's saved out rear ends a few times, and when the boat mooored over night, we put all the gear up under it for protection.
Oh, the place is called Bentley's

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
TimInTheGorge,

I'd recommend Carol's Custom Canvas in Portland, right off the Columbia near Jantzen Beach.

They did all the repairs needed to the Bentley top on my North River, poorly installed snaps.

They did the custom top on my new boat.

Brion

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My boat came with one, so I can't help on where to have one made, but it sure helped at Astoria last year after the wind came up. I put mine on for the drive home as well, like GBS said above, put all the gear under there and you don't have to worry about it blowing out.

Scott

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
If you have one of the boats with little toy scuppers such a cover might just save your life. Think about it --- most of the west side boats come with teensy scuppers that would take several minutes to empty out a freaky bow wave that fills the drop deck. Over half of the boats on the ocean have faulty, inadequate or non-functioning bilge pumps. The first wave fills the drop deck and drains to the bilge. Second wave swamps the boat. A two-wave boat!!!

Fortunately the east-side boats seem to have this problem figured out. Those folks install large scuppers that actually drain quickly. Maybe that comes from building boats for real river-running (the Snake, Hells Canyon, etc.).

If you have the dinky scuppers, enlarge them or install a tight-fitting cover.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The scuppers are ok on my boat, but if I get into big water again, I'd want a cover. Thanks Jack, and all responding.... :bowdown:

Tim :smile:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy Guacamole! I'm not worthy!!! Is it just my persistence? Or is it just me being a pest? :whazzup:

Not for me to decide..... :cheers:

Regardless, thanks for all your help when I've asked for it, and thanks for keepin' it to yourselves when I've clearly been off base! :smile:

I'll continue to be wiser about fishin' (not necessarily catchin') from my membership on this board.... And I'm fine with that.... :cheers:

Thanks all!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
147 Posts
ho time bentleys is good but my bet it will take a month or more FIVE C'S IN OREGON CITY WILL DO IT IN A WEEK OR TWO and i found
elaine much easyer to work with. if you want more info e-mail me

wet :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
635 Posts
A friend of mines dad is retired and builds boat tops, bow covers, custom upolstery in his shop at home. He will use whatever material you like. He built a full camper top for my 17' flat bottom for $450.00 drop me a email and I will hook you up with him. He is right here in Washougal. oh ya full top took him 5 days

[ 05-12-2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: MetalHead ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts