IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General Freshwater Rules

26. SNAGGING CLARIFICATION

PROPOSAL: This proposal would make it unlawful to possess a fish taken for personal use from fresh water that was not hooked inside the mouth or on the head. The head of a fish is defined as any portion forward of the rear margin of the gill plate. This rule would not apply to forage fish taken with forage fish jigger gear.

EXPLANATION: This proposal is intended to clarify the snagging rule for both anglers and enforcement officers. There has been some confusion in the past as to exactly what constitutes a legally hooked fish. This proposal, if adopted, should clear it up.

http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/proposals/2004proposals.pdf

Have fun :grin: :tongue:

[ 10-28-2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: KingFisher85 ]

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Yeah that is great.... NOT!!!!!!!!! Now if they hook it in the gill plate forward they will say that it is a legal fish. Well that is what it says to me, They need to make it say hooked inside the mouth. Not in the head.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
*LOL* this is so sad.. they are not doing this to clarify anything. they are doing this because they know that most of the fisheries on salmon that recieve a lot of attention are snag fisheries.. This is WDFW endosing snagging!! it's absolute nonsence!! it's bad and wrong and will hurt sport fishing!! Everyone knows the rules they just create these urban legends to justify what they are doing.. we need to stick with the extremely clear regulation that says " the fish must willingly take the hooks into it's mouth" No one could understand that to mean a fished hooked in the gilplate is good to go..

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Huh? Whats new? Nothing.... Washington has always allowed hooking outside the mouth as legal right? :hoboy: They are just clarifying what "the mouth" means (anywhere forward of the gill plate). :depressed:

I like it... Maybe all those professional snaggers will move to Washington. :smile: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Inside the mouth! Bottom line! Anything else is snagging, and should be illegal!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....if it has to be on the inside of the mouth, then there is going to be a lot of released spring Chinooks this year. Most all them plug caught fish, well most them are gill plate hooked fish. That’s not in side the mouth so they better be released. :hoboy:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
:sleep: :sleep:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well then start a new proposal and get the law changed so all hooks MUST be INSIDE the mouth.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A little testy today are'nt we Mike? Why are you not in school?
As far as in the mouth, rules state that what ever you are trying to use to catch fish it must be voulentary. I know of no animals that eat or bite with their heads, tails or gills. Anyone can poach, only a true fisherman can catch legtimately. This snagging issue has been beat to death. If you going to snag intentionally or accidentally, the fish should be let go. As far as changing the laws, just sent a email to my congressman and senator.
Chris W

PS -see ya on the Lewis Mike :cheers:

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
KF 85,
I like that rule about no removing fish from the water. As far as the snagging verification, It works.. people will still snag fish no matter what, but there is no way I'd release a quickfish hooked on the gill plate..

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ok, so think about this:
(First of all, I'm neutral on this subject at the moment)
I caught a steelhead this last weekend using a float/jig set up. I cast up, let my gear drift down, and watch for the bobber to go under the water. So, on a few of my casts, it did, but on a certain on in particular, when I landed the fish, the jig's hook was in the tip of the fish's nose, and not inside the mouth. You can't tell me that fish wasn't going after my jig, I won't believe you. I consider it to be a false-hooked fish, and I released it, but I don't think I should have to. But I wonder, how did that jig manage to get itself hooked on the fish's nose...?
What do you all think?

[ 10-29-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts