IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a decent recipe for smoking chicken or turkey? I have several for fish, but nothing for wing'd critters. Help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
I've done many turkey's in my little chief smoker and all have turned out very well. I just follow the directions in the book that ame with the smoker. It's a no brine, slow smoking process that tastes great.

JK

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I have to agree with Artwo. No brine just smoke. I have done several. I just put the bird in the big cheif smoker burn 2 pans of chips and finish cooking the bird in the oven. Personaly I think you can over smoke turkey. I like just a light smokey flavor.

In my Brinkman kettle smoker which has a water pan I add apple juice.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,375 Posts
Same here. Nothing but smoke. Yummm.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I use my Brinkman for smoking turkeys as well. No brine required, just wipe the turkey down well and season inside and out.

I like to hang the turkey inside the smoker otherwise the inside will puddle and you will need to empty it out at least once during the process.

Alder chips just like for any bird or fish. Apple will work as well but I would save the Hickory for pork and the Mesquite for beef.

In the Brinkman with water or juice (or wine/water/juice) it takes at least 12 hours for a ten pound bird.

I take one of these to work for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They vanish incredibly fast.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Try an internet recipe search.
If you google "cold smoke turkey" You'll get alot of sites telling you how to quit smoking cold turkey.
Most sites will recommend smoking turkeys 8# or smaller.
I do a dry rub inside and out with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Yes, Small Fry is correct. I usually only burn two pans of chips (3 for a large bird), it doesn't take much to get the smokey flavor. I usally use alder and mesquite chips for my turkeys but have had some good results with apple chips as well, different chip flavors will affect the flavor of your bird. There is a formula in the booklet that shows you how to adjust your cooking time for the amount of time you had it in the smoker. Also, don't over smoke or it will dry out the meat.

HINT: I made a hanging device out of a metal coat hanger so I can hang my bird from my smoker rack with the open cavity facing down (hind end down). I also cut away all of the extra skin/fat at the neck/breast opening so I can get a good flow of smoke through the bird. Also, I cover my drip tray with aluminum foil and put it below the bird to help with the dripping mess clean-up.

JK

·
Registered
449 Posts
For chiken in the smoker, I go with the Beer Butt recipe- stand the chicken up in the smoker with a part can of beer in his posterior-smokes real good and keeps in most.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have had good luck with a dry rub process. Basically equal parts of brown sugar and salt. adjust to taste, (I like a little more brown sugar) add spices if you like, garlic etc. Rub heavily inside and out put it in a plastic garbage bag overnight in an iced cooler. Next a.m. wash with water and pat dry - proceed to smoker. I think that the slight curing of the inside and outside of the turkey helps it retain it's moisture when smoked. I've tried it both ways...(my $.02 for what it's worth)
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I Just did one Sunday. 1 1/2 Cups salt 1 cup brown suger just enough water to cover. Soak over night.
Place in traeger on smoke for 7 hours.
it was great

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Radke,

I've always heard that when smoking birds the skin is sacraficed. It absorbs too much of the smoke and becomes very bitter. This has been my experiance with turkey. Try leaving the skin on next time but not eating it. The brine or rub should seep through the skin into the meat.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Morton's Sugar Cure is a good dry rub to utilize. Just rub on liberally before smoking. I have had it a number of times on smoked Chicken.

Also using the the hook unit from a deep fry turkey kit could hang perfeclty from the the big chief rack. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took your advice (well, partially at least) and smoked up a bunch of chicken legs/thighs this past weekend. Just skinned them, then dusted with a bit of garlic powder and Montreal steak seasoning, and popped them into the smoker for a few hours. My slight mistake was putting 3 pans of chips instead of holding off at 2. The result is quite tasty, but did suffer a bit from over smoking. The chicken wasn't dry, just a bit strong on the smoked side. I ended up using the product to make 'smoked chicken' fettachinie (sp).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts