IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, after 18 years my Cookshack smoker has gone belly up (and with a load of ribs in it). Any suggestions for a replacement that's available in-state?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Gotta be a little more specific. There are many different types of smokers.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yes, to me, a smoker is something that will get and stay at 100 degrees or so. Most smokers will not do that without modification. I have a bi mart smoke hollow that I had to mod in order to get it to do what I want. It will also get to about 350 degrees, and it will also out smoke any traeger or other grill I have devoured from.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, to me, a smoker is something that will get and stay at 100 degrees or so. Most smokers will not do that without modification. I have a bi mart smoke hollow that I had to mod in order to get it to do what I want. It will also get to about 350 degrees, and it will also out smoke any traeger or other grill I have devoured from.
That's precisely what my Cookshack did without modification. Payed about a grand for it. But they don't make it anymore.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Masterbuilt Smoker will. Mine gets up to 275 degrees so that’s plenty hot enough to cook your Ribs. My wife cooked a couple of Chickens in ours the other day. Put a couple of pans of Alder and some Apple chips in at the start.She cooked them for a long time on low heat. SLOWLY. They were very delicious. Took the carcasses and made into some Chicken Soup.It was delicious also. This smoker has done an excellent job both smoking and cooking. Im an old Southern boy and have eaten a lot of great smoked meat and chicken and pork off of a variety of different smokers/Grills. It was ALL good. Some was just a little better than others. Best part about this Smoker/BBQ as it were is the fact it was not a lot of money and has been rock solid now for two years. Very consistent temperatures on lower or higher settings. Easy to use. Bought mine on Wayfair FWIW. :)😋

Reactions: Brokeass Boater

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,255 Posts
I too am a Green Mountain fan. Like it much better than the old Traeger.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a Masterbuilt in my quiver of smokers too. It's a good way to smoke meat, hot smoke if you will. The good part of a insulated electric smoker is you can add a smoke generator to it a and cold smoke fish, cheese, jerky, even in summer, just add a pan of ice in it while smoking. If you don't like babysitting coals then a electric is a great choice,,,gregg

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
I really like my Traeger, but lots of pellet grills do a good job at smoking. They also can do other things like grill.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have a MAK grill that can get hot enough to grill a steak and it also has what they call a warming box on the side. For cold smoking I place a smoke tube in the bottom of the grill and the food I want to smoke in the warming box. When cold smoking no need to fire up the grill itself. The only time I need to be a little careful with amount of heat coming from the smoke tube is with cheese. I always do that when temps are below 70* outside.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’ll put my smoked (cooked) fish whatever you want to call it on my green mountain grill against any other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had my GMG Daneil Bonne for 4 years and just upgraded to the WiFi control, no problems yet, low and slow and don't ever use heating pellets, use smoking pellets

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've located a very similar model Cookshack in Texas for a couple grand. Pricey but it will outlast me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check out a Yoder.......made in USA, 5/16" stainless. You can go pellet and smoke or open the hatch and go to 600 for searing steaks and such. I have a YS640 and Wichita stick burner (drafts poorly though) but once you get used to how it drafts food is much better than pellet. Local dealer is SAMS NW BBQ in Sherwood. Alot of people do complain about the paint and getting some surface rust, but I've had mine for years and not an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I recommend you build your own. Go to smokingmeats.com and check out the section on home built smokers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts