IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
Great recipes. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Good smoker.
I have tried propane smokers and several of the nice stainless smokers but don't like them as well as the old standby Big Chief.
If you want a smoker that is also a awsume grill for steaks,ribs,brisket,google char-grller grills. They have an indirect fire box for logs of wood of your choice for smoking or low and slow BBQ. Or right under the main grill for steaks and burgers. great temp adjustment with vents. LARGE grilling surface.
I think I found mine at Lowes. I love mine. :applause:
Hope that helped.
B.T.

· Registered
423 Posts
I had 3 packages of deer steaks left over from last year that I decided I needed to use up, I cut them into about 3/8 inch pieces and I brined them overnight in a storebought brine. I then placed them on my Traeger and smoked them with mesquite for five hours. They turned out awsome, next time I might use a little more pepper.

· Registered
170 Posts
Here is mine:

Beaverheart Brine
½ cup:
Soy sauce
Salt

1 cup:
Molasses
Wine (any light fruity wine)
Water
Sugar
Pineapple – blend chunks ½ can until smooth

Warm liquid ingredients and dissolve salt first and then sugar.

Place in container and make sure all meat or fish has some brine on it. Once in a while turn the meat over in the brine. The meat doesn’t have to be immersed in the brine to work. Leave in brine a minimum of 12hrs for fish, more for meat.
If you want a sweeter taste do not rinse brine. Cook in oven for 18 minutes for 1" tuna steaks at 350 degrees, a little less if the meat is thinner.
Leave brine on and pepper with black, white, and red pepper generously (it will take more pepper than you think) then place on smoking racks.

Smoke with alder, mesquite and hickory chips until brown about 3 to 6 hours depending on the thickness of the fish. Pre-cooked tuna will take @ 3 1/2 hrs.

This recipe will make enough brine to fill a Big Chief with meat or fish.

· Registered
166 Posts
~10 quarts of water
3.5-4 cups brown sugar
1.5 cups salt
1 cup of Maple Syrup
1/2 cup of honey
1 cup worcestershire sauce

2-4 days in Brine then:

Use a hot plate and some tin foil on a regular gas bbq and stick the hot plate in the corner, tin foil the grill. Add pan of apple wood chips and let them smoke for about 6-8 hours. After that they are only about half done because this is basically cold smoking, stick them in food dehydrator for 4-6 hours at 150-160 degrees F.

· Banned
323 Posts
Just got some fresh tuna and I want to smoke some of it up. I have read to use the same brine I would for salmon. I use a dry brine, so one question is, does tuna brine the same way as salmon, produce liquid and such?

Are there any good brines that people can share with me too? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

· Registered
3,250 Posts
Just got some fresh tuna and I want to smoke some of it up. I have read to use the same brine I would for salmon. I use a dry brine, so one question is, does tuna brine the same way as salmon, produce liquid and such?

Are there any good brines that people can share with me too? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I brought home near 100lbs of Tuna filet on my trip last month. Gave a third, canned a third, and for the first time, used my Traeger instead of Otto's. This is what I did:
2 large cans Dole pineapple juice
Two bags brown sugar
2 bottles Lowry's teriyaki marinade
2/3 box of Kosher rock salt
A whole head of garlic, minced
30lbs Tuna loins cut into thirds
36hr soak
9-10 hrs on the Traeger (stuffed to the gills) with your choice of pellets - I like Hickory, but Alder with a hint of mesquite is good too.
I gave away some at the office and the girls absolutely raved. Even got thank-you notes. :whistle:
Have Fun!

· Registered
549 Posts
Wow, Im very surprised what i use wasnt posted. Basically use whatevr spices you use. (I use brown sugar, salt, and regular sugar. only difference is instead of two cups of water, I tried 1 cup water, 1 cup Jack Daniels. I swear by this IMHO it adds a "new" flavor, which works really good. try it on a small batch, I dont think you'll be dissapointed

· Registered
65 Posts
There was enough interest in the smoked goodies that I shared on the goose hunt that I'll share the recipe with all of I-fish. I figure what the heck, if I help someone enjoy the game they've harvested more, GREAT !!

For ducks: cut each 1/2 breast in half lengthwise.
For goose: cut each 1/2 breast into 3/4" thick strips cross grain.

Brine:
3 quarts cold water
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup salt (or less)*
3 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic crushed (or more)
1/4 cup whole black peppercorns

Soak up to 34 pieces of meat for 8 hours.

Wrap low salt bacon* around the piece of meat on a diagonal. Use round toothpicks on each end to hold bacon in place.

Cook on a charcoal smoker for 2 to 4 hours, depending on temperature. The bacon should appear to be done on the outside. Cut a piece to ensure that it's done in the middle. I've used chunks of hickory or alder for smoke. Make sure to use a drip pan between the fire and the meat. The bacon grease catches fire very easily.

Remove toothpicks, slice & serve with cheese & crackers along with your favorite beverage.

*If you use bacon that is not low salt, use less salt in the brine and/or brine for a shorter period of time.

It takes quite a bit of time to do all of this. Don't try to cheat on the steps too much as it will show up in the end product.
I like this one

· Registered
2,543 Posts
by far the best recipe i have used yet thanks for posting it fishisabonus! some that i have given my fish to said it was best smoked salmon they have had... u should have had the recognition for it unlike some one i know that posted his AFTER you posted yours!!

I didn't see mine. I had a lot of request for this one....

1/3 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbl black pepper
1 tbl garlic salt
1 tbl onion salt
1 tbl celery salt
1 tbl dry mustard (Colemans, yellow can, my favorite)

Roll fish dry brine. Refrigerate 24 hrs (less if fish chunks are thin). Put chunks on smoker racks and let stand for about an hour... the chunks glaze over slightly. Smoke using alder chips. Time depends on your smoker. This brine has worked on fish caught everywhere from Cabo to Alaska.

· Registered
20 Posts
Great recipes. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Good smoker.
I have tried propane smokers and several of the nice stainless smokers but don't like them as well as the old standby Big Chief.
I have a nice front load propane one that works really well - it's a hot smoker rather than a cold smoker - but because I can control the heat it's quite a bit more versatile in the long run - and very easy too.

Steve

· Registered
20 Posts
Re: Smoker recipes - make your own caviar?

I recently saw an article in an online brewing forum about brining your own caviar - salmoon, trout, steelhead eggs. Has anyone tried this?

Steve

· Registered
2,737 Posts
simple brine not a lot of other stuff !!

1 cup pickling salt to 5 cups dark brown suger, brine over night in a plastic or something non metallic makes its own liquid.

rotate ( top to bottom ) after about 12 hrs, after 24 remove scrape off any heavy sugar on meat let dry for about 2 hrs, put in smoker. Smoke untill done to your taste.I use a propane smoker set at 150 and only run two pans of alder thru then cook till done.

I was told once that two pans of alder or ?? is about all the smoke it will take that your just cooking it after that,don't know if thats true but i've been doing that way ever since and it is delish !!(candy)

Its really good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:meme:

OH yeah i do skin my fish also !!

bob

41 - 60 of 75 Posts