IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
"code of the west " for me for any cooking of the fowl is to always brine any chicken or turkey over night in a mixture of 2 to 1 -brown sugar to salt plus 1 tsp. of your favorite salts (garlic, celery, onion, etc. and I like to add alittle ginger too). If you are smoking I add more of the salts but usually always finish things off in the oven after about 2-3 hrs. rinse well and that thin cover of olive oil is perfect for keeping the juices in.
For salmon I always dry brine. still use the 2 to 1 and just use your imagination with tsp of whatever you think ( dillweed,mace,allspice ginger,different peppers (white is good) Maple, lemon ,tabasco. I like the dry brine cause you can make different batches and pick what you like. I always throw in a bay leaf and just before putting in the smoker a good dust of fresh ground lemon pepper. you can always use 5 cents brine ( which is excellent!!) but its Fun to try your own----- oh yea--throw in some light boiled eggs for an hr great!!!:smash: :smash:

· Registered
63 Posts
Smoked Salmon or Steel Head

2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup Johny Season Salt
1 gal of water

Mix together and add fish(3-5 inch chunks), let brine for 12-24 hours. Aftre brine rinse fish and pad dry, ground peper to taste. Cover fish with a coating of brown sugar, place on smoker racks and let air dry for 4-6 hours(I place the rack in front of a fan) this will put a crust on the fish and seal in the juice. 2-3 pans of smoke (alder chips is my favorite) let finish in the smoker or oven. You won't believe how good it taste. Invite me over to sample, this way you won't have to freeze any.:food: :food:

HH

· Registered
6,545 Posts
Here's a simple one. I've tried all of them. This is my favorite:)

1 part sugar
1 part salt
Mix the sugar and salt

Roll fish in the mixture, and place in a pan or bowl. Cover with brown sugar. It's fine to stack layers, if you do, add the brown sugar between layers.

Let it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours. It will become a wet brine in no time.

Smoke as usual.

Enjoy.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
1 gallon of water
1 cup Mortons Sugar Cure ( 1 cup salt/2 brown sugar can be used)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbs pickling spice
1 tbs paprika
1 tsp all spice

Let brine overnight (8 hours) at room temp or longer in fridge.

Rinse, pat dry with paper towel, and smoke.

G

·
My spicey brine

equal parts brown sugar and salt

1/2 cup crushed red pepper

cover with Coca-Cola

soak for over night

dust salmon pieces with black pepper before smoking

smoke 3 pans of apple ships.

Open Budweiser and eat.

· Registered
270 Posts
I call this one Hawaiian Jerky. This is a family favorite.
1lb Venison or Elk meat thinly sliced
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 crushhed garlic clove
1/4 cup Pineapple juice
1/4 cup Soy sauce

· Registered
1,253 Posts
I love my smokey mountain propane smoker, just set it and forget it. I have been using the traeger wood pellets lately and love the smoke you get out of them. I can get away with one pan of pellets and not have to keep opening the door to restock

· Registered
498 Posts
anyone have a smoked halibut recipie? we have tons of 'butt from AK and want to try to smoke some.
I'm new here so I'll start out by saying Hi ya'll. I figured this is as good of place to put my first post cuz cook'in,grill'in and smok'in are a great joy for mine.:meme:
Well STS this brine has worked well for me. It's the best I've ever had. The rest of my co-workers and family will agree.
My last batch of steehead I had going I thought what the heck so I thru 4 or 5 Butt filets in it.
It was assume!!
This recipe is a bit more work but well worth the time.
You will need the following

3 cups of water
1/4 cup of mortan sugar cure (can be found next to the pickling salt and rock salt in the spice,sugar,flour aisle of your local grocery)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbls of orange extract
crushed red pepper to taste.

Put all of ingrediant's in a large blender and mix untill all the cure and suger is completly dissolved. Usually takes 10-15 min for me. Cure will look kinda cloudy for a bit but this will go away and leave a clear dark coffee colored brine. If you still see granual's of cure or sugar give it some more mix time.

remove skin from fillets( trust me, this should be done)

Slice fillets into fairly thin slices(I usually do mine 1-3 in. depending on the thickness of fish)

Cure for 3 days,, completely covered in brine(I usually double the recipe because I dont know how to smoke a small batch:cool: )

then place the fish and brine in a large stainless bowl,place a glass pie plate just smaller than bowl diameter and press gently allowing some of the brine to flow into the pie plate. This should be enough wieght to keep fish submerged. remove from brine. Do NOT rinse! just pat dry with paper towels and place on racks to air dry a bit.

Fire up the smoker to about 160 deg.-180 deg. I use a char-gril BBQ with an inderect fire box and alder logs and wet chunks for 3-4 hours. I like my fish med rare. It should be very moist and tender.

You can adjust recipe for sweeter,saltier,spicer,cut back on the orange extrct if you like a little less,add honey on top of fillets.The choices are endless.

Sorry this was such a long post. Kurt:passout:

21 - 40 of 75 Posts