IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Administrator
129,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep them all in one place, please post your smoked fish or "hunt" recipes, here.
Thanks!

· Registered
419 Posts
There was enough interest in the smoked goodies that I shared on the goose hunt that I'll share the recipe with all of I-fish. I figure what the heck, if I help someone enjoy the game they've harvested more, GREAT !!

For ducks: cut each 1/2 breast in half lengthwise.
For goose: cut each 1/2 breast into 3/4" thick strips cross grain.

Brine:
3 quarts cold water
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup salt (or less)*
3 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic crushed (or more)
1/4 cup whole black peppercorns

Soak up to 34 pieces of meat for 8 hours.

Wrap low salt bacon* around the piece of meat on a diagonal. Use round toothpicks on each end to hold bacon in place.

Cook on a charcoal smoker for 2 to 4 hours, depending on temperature. The bacon should appear to be done on the outside. Cut a piece to ensure that it's done in the middle. I've used chunks of hickory or alder for smoke. Make sure to use a drip pan between the fire and the meat. The bacon grease catches fire very easily.

Remove toothpicks, slice & serve with cheese & crackers along with your favorite beverage.

*If you use bacon that is not low salt, use less salt in the brine and/or brine for a shorter period of time.

It takes quite a bit of time to do all of this. Don't try to cheat on the steps too much as it will show up in the end product.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
Here's my favorite smoked salmon recipe. It tastes great, and it's really fast.

Place the salmon chunks in a bag with Morton Sugar Cure (found right next to rock salt at the grocery store). Like using shake and bake, completely cover the fish with a light layer and then set aside in a bowl for no more than 45 minutes. The dry cure works fast. then rinse the fish off and pat dry. If you don't like it too salty, rinse again.

Place the salmon in the smoker for about four hours (five or so trays of chips). Then put it in the over at 350 degrees for no more than 1/2 hour, and there it is, some great tasting smoked salmon before you go to bed.

I also like to skip the oven part and go right to the canner. 1/2 pint jars at 240 degrees (or how ever many pounds) for 90 minutes. Nothing's better than breaking out a jar of smoked salmon in early March while you're waiting for the springer season to kick in.

· Registered
6,914 Posts
My favorite smoke cure works great for fish or deer.
2 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup non-iondized salt
mix in a quart jar filled with water

cut salmon into 2 inch strips ( game meat the same) leave the skin on. place in ceramic or plastic container (nothing metal)and pour liquid on to cover. Place in fridge for 6-24 hours depending on taste ( I like longer), pull out and let dry on racks skin down. Smoke until it is finished to liking, eat and enjoy. Vacuum pack warm to retain moisture, let dry prior to vacuum packing if you like dryer.

· Registered
494 Posts
Dry Brine Mix

1 cup rock salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tlsp onion powder
1 tbsp black pepper

Layer salmon, mix, salmon, etc. let brine for 24hours. Remove from brine and rinse of brine. Let stand on racks or in refigerator for 24hours so a glaze forms. Put on smoker and use 3 to 4 pans of smoke.

Tips
-wipe racks down with vegetable oil so salmon is easly removed after smoking
-Remove all scales before filleting the fish. I think the scales and fish slim changes the flavor of the smoked salmon. It doesn't seem to get a gammie taste.

· Registered
20 Posts
Smoked Oysters
I've been smoking oysters for the past 5 years. It's a Christmas tradition and they only last till shortly after the new year. These little jewels are even loved by people who don't like em fixed any other way.
Now mind you, this is a super secret recipe and only a few have ever pulled it out of me. I thought it would be time for more people to enjoy this delicacy. So here goes...

1. I buy 4 - 1/2 gal containers of extra smalls from Olympia Oyster Co out of Shelton. Be prepared, this runs me about $25 per half gal. that's why I only smoke these once a year.

2. I bring them home, rinse them off and drain.

3. The brine consists of the following

OYSTER BRINE
1/2 GAL OYSTERS
6 C WATER
1 C KOSHER SALT
1 C BROWN SUGAR
1/3 C SOY SAUCE
1 HANDFUL DRY ONION
1 TEAS LIQUID GARLIC
OPTIONAL 1/4 C DARK RUM

Boil slowly for 10 to 30 minutes depending on the amount of flavor you want.

4. Remove and drain in colander (you know, one of those bowels with holes) dry with paper towels and then coat with olive oil.

5. Smoke for about 4 to 10 hours depending on smoker and preference. I use apple and alder pucks in a Bradly smoker. Just watch them. The bottom racks will have faster smoked oysters than the uppers. I rotate them around about every two hours.

6. Finally, I keep about a half gallon in the fridge and vacuum seal and freeze the rest. I've never had to worry about how long they last in the freezer, like I said they are all gone shortly after the new years. The best way to eat them is fresh out of the smoker, still warm with a cold six pack of beer!! Waa hoo!

Note: I bought chrome plated racks that have smaller gaps than the smoker racks do. The oysters shrink when you brine them and again when they are smoked. Don't let them fall through the racks.

--------------------
There's only one thing in life better than fishing...catching fish, of course!

Post Extras:

· Registered
310 Posts
Just tried out a new mesquite jerky last night. Pretty good and awfully simple.

Brine
1/2 gal water
1 cup Worsty
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup Mrs. Dash's Mesquite grilling blend

Smoke as usual with Mesquite chunks.

Kids are gobbling it up. :cheers: Gotta go back to the freezer and start over.

· Registered
605 Posts
I know a lot of people who will swear by this dry brine for salmon:

2 lbs brown sugar
1/3 cup salt
2 tbs garlic powder
2 caps liquid smoke
add freshly ground pepper to each piece before placing in smoker

enjoy!

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Its easy, quick and very good.(have had people say best they have ever had)

2lbs of C&H brown sugar
to 1 cup of plain salt(ratio), mix well.
Brine in fridge until carmalized (app. 6 hours or so)i cover with saran wrap
Rinse off sludge, leave in fridge overnight.

Smoke 3 or 4 pans of apple chips until done.
For me its about 4 to 6 hours depending on the weather and how many racks

· Registered
4,829 Posts
Had a bumber crop of garlic last summer... what to do with the extra?! Well, I got a wild hair and threw a bunch in the smoker. Half a day or so and three pans of apple chips... yummmm! Crushed some up yesterday and put it on a freshly caught (thanks to Riverkeeper) and bbq'd Springer, with a little lemon pepper. lnf

· Registered
841 Posts
I didn't see mine. I had a lot of request for this one....

1/3 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbl black pepper
1 tbl garlic salt
1 tbl onion salt
1 tbl celery salt
1 tbl dry mustard (Colemans, yellow can, my favorite)

Roll fish dry brine. Refrigerate 24 hrs (less if fish chunks are thin). Put chunks on smoker racks and let stand for about an hour... the chunks glaze over slightly. Smoke using alder chips. Time depends on your smoker. This brine has worked on fish caught everywhere from Cabo to Alaska.

· Registered
56 Posts
I'm a new member, and I can't express how happy I was to see all of these recipes for smoking. I copied them ( with your permission of course) and will have fun in trying them out. As of now I had only used those in the Jensen Smooker booklet.

· Registered
109 Posts
Smoked Sturgeon

This is the best sturgeon recipe that I have ever used.

2 parts water
1 part soy sauce
½ cup of chopped fresh garlic
½ cup chopped green onion
2 tbls sesame oil
3 cups brown sugar
2 tbls salt

I let this sit in the refrigerator for about 3 days and smoke it with apple and alder wood mixed together. It is a great brine and you will enjoy it with any type of fish as well.

· Registered
278 Posts
Thought I'd lost this recipe for ever. Wife was going through the linen closet and found it in one of her old wallets of all places. I found that if I'm smoking a bird much over 12lbs I double the recipe allowing more liquid to surround a bigger bird.

Smoked Turkey
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 cups apple cider
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 oz maple
1 1/2 cup curing salt
1/2 tsp ginger
4 tbs pepper

Mix well. Place rinsed turkey in heavy duty garbage bag. Add brine mix. Draw bag down to remove as much air as possible. Place in a roasting pan if possible so the liquid level is forced up as much as possible around the bird. Allow to soak for 24 hours. I try my best to turn the bird 4 times during the soak time. I use either hickory or apple chunks and run 3 batches. Use more or less depending on how smokey you like things. Smoke 1 hour per pound at 200 to 225 degrees. If in question, stick it with a meat thermometer. If smoker has cooled a little temp may vary. Done temp for poultry at deepest portion of breast is 180 degrees. Enjoy!

· Registered
74 Posts
I have been using this recipe for some time.

Mix Brown Sugar, White Sugar, 1/4 cup Teryaki sauce, 1 oz wrights liquid smoke, with fish. Adjust amounts of each depending on the amount of fish. Sprinkle fish with
"cracked" pepper. Let set in frig for 1 to 3 days, mix occasionally and smoke. I use a Big Chief and smoke for 10 to 14 hours.
Salt goes a long ways in the mix. I usually don't add salt but I brine the fish in salt water before mixing. 1 cup of "rock" salt to a gallon of water. Rinse fish off if left for more that 2 hours. This salt brining will " leach" out any excell blood or fatty oils. Good luck

· Registered
64 Posts
Lotsa good smoker recipes..........Ever tried putting honey or maple syrup on your fish before you stick it in the smoker? I've found some people absolutely go nuts over it, some think its so-so. Just another twist for smoking......

1 - 20 of 75 Posts