IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1986 16' Smoker Craft sled this last spring 2021, and I am planning on remodeling the boat floor. I will add pictures along the way any help or ideas as to what can be done or not to do is appreciated.

I would like to take out the seating area, and use separate seat boxes or tripod with a seat. Or possibly a Fixed Boat Seat Pedestal, or a removable seat pedestal?

If I take out the seating area will it make the boat structurally unsafe?

Can I take out everything and replace the floor? bench seating, and the front box?

Dave in Oregon

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought a 1986 16' Smoker Craft sled this last spring 2021, and I am planning on remodeling the boat floor. I will add pictures along the way any help or ideas as to what can be done or not to do is appreciated.

I would like to take out the seating area, and use separate seat boxes or tripod with a seat. Or possibly a Fixed Boat Seat Pedestal, or a removable seat pedestal?

Can I take out everything and replace the floor? bench seating, and the front box?

Dave in Oregon
Nice boat. I have an older Smoker Craft sled myself. It appears like you have a welded sled and not one of the older jon boat style flat bottom Smokers. Pull up the floor and look at the main structure of the boat. It doesn't look like the seat box is a structural part of the build like the flat bottom riveted boats they used to make. Post pics of the project process!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice boat. I have an older Smoker Craft sled myself. It appears like you have a welded sled and not one of the older jon boat style flat bottom Smokers. Pull up the floor and look at the main structure of the boat. It doesn't look like the seat box is a structural part of the build like the flat bottom riveted boats they used to make. Post pics of the project process!
Will do I am planning on buying a pedestal seat mount tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Post a pic showing the entire interior of the boat in one shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice job I bought a pedestal seat from west marine, and will add it when I coat the new plywood with tuff coat. I bought some thin steel plating to add to the back of the plywood for strength.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
tin boats dot net - loads of good info and fun projects that have already been done. Look at the forum for v hulls and john boats.

Reactions: Johnandhis4x4

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Post a pic showing the entire interior of the boat in one shot.

Dave in Oregon

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Removed the floor today I was surprised the original floor was in one piece so I had to cut the floor out in two pieces. I cut the new plywood to fit the floor, and used two part epoxy from tuff coat. Now it's time to rest, and get back at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Removed the floor today I was surprised the original floor was in one piece so I had to cut the floor out in two pieces. I cut the new plywood to fit the floor, and used two part epoxy from tuff coat. Now it's time to rest, and get back at it tomorrow.
You might consider taking out the foam. It's almost always water logged and will cause pitting of the aluminum on the bottom. I pulled out about 400# out of my 16 foot Smoker Craft sled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might consider taking out the foam. It's almost always water logged and will cause pitting of the aluminum on the bottom. I pulled out about 400# out of my 16 foot Smoker Craft sled.

If I take out the foam how do I replace it or with what?

Thanks Dave.

[

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Amen to that... Wet foam = slow boat!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If you want/need the floatation then fill it up with pool noodles under the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PaPa Jon

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The size under my flooring is 184" long x 44" wide x 12" deep totaling up both foam channels. 42 to 45 cubic feet the best price I have found so far is
FOAM-028080 LB Kit40 Cubic Feet$274.00
from us composites website

any other ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought from them before, bought the 2lb kit for my last boat rebuild ended up a bit short.
Pour when its warm outside, otherwise it won't expand or flow as well. I got mixing cups from wally world, did small batches at a time.
Next time, I will lay down some large trash bags then do pour so foam is not sticking to hull, if needed to be removed easier to remove its encased in the trash bag.
Once it was in, it made a huge difference in stiffening up the hull losing the 300lbs of wet foam helped get on plane faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought from them before, bought the 2lb kit for my last boat rebuild ended up a bit short.
Pour when its warm outside, otherwise it won't expand or flow as well. I got mixing cups from wally world, did small batches at a time.
Next time, I will lay down some large trash bags then do pour so foam is not sticking to hull, if needed to be removed easier to remove its encased in the trash bag.
Once it was in, it made a huge difference in stiffening up the hull losing the 300lbs of wet foam helped get on plane faster.
Thanks for the information I will use trash bags.

Dave in Oregon
I noticed a aluminum weld was broken yesterday, and the crossmember is separated. When I take out the foam in that area I will need to get both areas fixed and rewelded.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I recommend you search on this site for threads regarding aluminum corrosion. I would not use spray foam - even in the bags (which is a good idea). Take all current foam out, remove any existing corrosion, treat with the alodine process or something similar, out back in either pool noodles or pink foam.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recommend you search on this site for threads regarding aluminum corrosion. I would not use spray foam - even in the bags (which is a good idea). Take all current foam out, remove any existing corrosion, treat with the alodine process or something similar, out back in either pool noodles or pink foam.
I did some checking on alodine and I was told to use alodine 1201, but I took a picture of the bottom of the boat and it looks like before they put the foam in they coated the bare aluminum with something maybe paint I do not see any corrosion on this 1986 boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
That looks good so far! Alodine not ever a bad idea, but may be ok for that boat if not in saltwater. Especially if you don’t put spray foam back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Why do you need flotation? Tear that **** out and call it good. That's why you have insurance.

Wouldn't give it a second thought...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts