IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
7,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recipe is from the Salty Dogs.

1) Pack bellies in rock salt for 20 to 30 mintes. Not any longer!

2) Remove salt and rinse.

3) Pat dry.

4) Place in smoker until desired texture is achieved, usually 3 to 10 hours depending on your smoker. Alder seems to be the wood of choice.

5) Eat and enjoy.

Here are the origional posts from the Salty Dog Board as a reference. There is some good discussion so you might want to read these for more detailed info.

Smoked TUNA! 1
Smoked TUNA! 2
Smoked TUNA! 3
Smoked TUNA! 4

· Registered
5,354 Posts
Back to the top as I am certain others will look for this as the season is upon us.
I am putting Tuna bellies on the smoker as soon as my pork but is done... Mmm Mmm Mmm

· Registered
960 Posts
Great post. It still amazes me how many discard their TUNA bellies. As for the prep work I use the same wet brine as my smoked salmon. So far everyone that has tried it raves and wants to know where they can buy some, I just chucke and tell them they can't that I know of. As far as I know none of the comercial smokers have picked up on the idea of smoking TUNA bellies, so they are still a delicasy for those of us that get our hands dirty.

· Registered
313 Posts
I just did the rock salt for 20 minutes as above. I only had hickory chips, and ran 2 pans thru (Smokey Mountain Propane smoker...runs about 200, so kinda hot) only took about 2 hours, and tastes GREAT! Just the right amount of salt and smoke flavor.

· Registered
997 Posts
How long did you leave them on the Traeger? And what temp? I need to try this one out!

I do them on my Traeger on the smoke setting (I just have high/medium/smoke) for about 4 hours. It really isn't that critical. I heard comments like "this is the best smoked fish I have ever had" The rock salt for 25 minutes gave it the perfect saltiness, and it was moist and very tasty. You still can't come close to smoked salmon belly's and collars though. (at least for my taste buds)

· Registered
409 Posts
I do them on my Traeger on the smoke setting (I just have high/medium/smoke) for about 4 hours. It really isn't that critical. I heard comments like "this is the best smoked fish I have ever had" The rock salt for 25 minutes gave it the perfect saltiness, and it was moist and very tasty. You still can't come close to smoked salmon belly's and collars though. (at least for my taste buds)
Awesome, thank you BBD! I will use that as a starting point.

· Registered
2,855 Posts
I posted my smoked tuna Belly's, using the flower pot smoker.. tasty.. add mayo, some pepper, garlic Toss on fresh baked buns.. YUMMY...

Have one package left.. trying to hold out & save it for Elk camp.. for snack in the deep dark woods with a cold beer & crackers over looking a meadow.. snack time. mmmmmmm

· Registered
4 Posts
I was reading in one of the posts where a guy said he was smoking tuna and would finish off cooking it when he canned it. Can anyone tell me how to can smoked tuna. I have canned a lot of fresh tuna buy adding spices, and salt to raw fresh tuna and sticking it in pint and 1/2 pint jars then pressure canning it. When done the tuna has released its oil and there is usually half a jar of oil with the tuna. If I smoke tuna, can I just stick it into jars and can it, or should I add water or chicken stock to the jar? I'm not sure whether there will be enough moisture left in the tuna to can it. Any ideas?

· Registered
617 Posts
I was reading in one of the posts where a guy said he was smoking tuna and would finish off cooking it when he canned it. Can anyone tell me how to can smoked tuna. I have canned a lot of fresh tuna buy adding spices, and salt to raw fresh tuna and sticking it in pint and 1/2 pint jars then pressure canning it. When done the tuna has released its oil and there is usually half a jar of oil with the tuna. If I smoke tuna, can I just stick it into jars and can it, or should I add water or chicken stock to the jar? I'm not sure whether there will be enough moisture left in the tuna to can it. Any ideas?
Check other posts on smoked albacore, but the canning they say will intensify the smokiness. Donot smoke like a salmon or it will come out too dry, unless you add say olive oil or something. What I do is only smoke 2-4 hours, then can. I still add a teaspoon of olive oil.

:twocents::twocents:

· Registered
672 Posts

I saw this thread a week or two ago and decided to try to smoke some tuna if we had any leftovers from canning tuna. We had some leftover tuna so I tried it this weekend with no salt (someone on another ifish thread recommended that!), just alder chips and they came out really good, although it has to stay in the fridge! Here's my blog post in case you're interested.

· Registered
672 Posts

Imagine the luck: By accident, while rooting around in my freezer, I found my long lost package of tuna bellies that I had set aside last summer for smoking. So, I attempted to improve on a good thing (from two posts up in this same thread!). This time, I packed the tuna in sea salt for about 20 or 30 minutes, then rinsed and dried before putting on the smoker. This time, they were WAY better, and with just a hint of saltiness! :food:

Here's a link to Alder-Smoked Albacore Tuna at my blog in case you're interested.

· Registered
5,820 Posts
Tried the rock salt method and then smoked it in the Traeger. Came out awesome!!! I think I might try a honey wasabi glaze next time to try something different.

Here’s the recipe I am thinking about trying; now I just need some more tuna :excited:.

Honey Wasabi Recipe
3 Tbls. honey
3 Tbls. soy sauce
4 Tbls. mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine),
1 tsp. wasabi powder
1 Tbls. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. veg. oil

Thinking of just brushing it on a couple times during the smoke process.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.