IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried fishisabonus's dry brine on sturgeon? I tried it earlier this summer on salmon and it was excellent.

Finally got my first keeper and am anxious to smoke up a batch.

Also, what type of wood? Alder???

-G16

·
Registered
327 Posts
You should contact big and bright he makes the best smoked fish i have ever had.... five cents and zaq could put in there 2 cents also..sincerely droughting in colorado steve :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
841 Posts
That receipe came from my folks and they have fished all the way from Baja Mexico to Petersburg Alaska. They have used that brine on ever kind of fish you can think of and it has never failed them yet.

On sturgeon, you want to make sure the meat is all white. None of that brown or reddish stuff on the pieces. That stuff comes out like leather when you smoke it. Halibut is the same way. Just make sure you have nice white pieces and it turns out great. Smoked sturgeon is probably my favoirte, I just don't get enough of it to smoke anymore.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use a mix of woods as did my fater and grandfather. I use 1 bag of hickory and then a half bag of alder then a fourth bag of apple and cherry, mix well and start smokin..... Good Luck.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The last time I smoked sturgeon I used maple and it came out very nicely.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I wet brine like I do salmon. With less oil than salmon, no sure how a dry brine would do. I cut mine into 1-1/2" cubes, marinate, then smoke. once the chunks are somewhat cool, I throw them in a bag with some cajun seasoning, shake the bag and done. Delicious!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the link to the recipe I'm talking about (scroll down to fishisabonus's post)

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=027962

Tried it this weekend on sturgeon and it was good (I highly recommend it for salmon). I think I may have over smoked the fish a bit - it was a little dry. I don't think I factored in the 90 degree weather into the smoking time. Oh well my fishing buddies aren't too picky - they'll eat anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts