IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting alot of requests for smoked fish from co-workers...kids at my sons school and family so i thought i'd whip up a batch...I really like how the springers are so oily and moist..Basted with a brown sugar glaze :cheers:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
That's some great looking fish what is your recipe for the brine, do you smoke your fish inside the smoker thats inside the box it came in?? How long did you smoke it

BOY THATS SOME FINGER LIKEN GOOD CONGRATS

Mr A

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Louis,

You are making my mouth water. I just ran out the other day. Time to get the smoker fired up again! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. A, i used the simple recipe...1/2 cup non-iodized salt..same of brown sugar..but sometimes i add a little more...and garlic. Soak it overnight...rinse it well and let it sit on the rack for about 1 1/2 to 2hrs. I use two pans alder and smoked this stuff for 7 hrs...those pieces are at least 8oz each..i brushed them with brown sugar glaze twice in the process and when they were a bit cooled off. 5-cents...It tastes SO much better when you haven't had it in a while.. :cheers: :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Smoking springer is like an 90 year old driving a sports car on a straight road, it is almost sacrilegious. :grin:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Louis your killing me, what was youe home adress so I can come over and help you eat all that smoked fish :wink: .
How is married life treating you?

Fishalot

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mrdorkfish,

Your smoked salmon looks great!
How hot does your smoker get and how what was the temp you smoked your springer?

Thanks
1 aught

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
1 Aught: I did a batch today. My big cheif smoker with the box covering the smoker runs at about 160. Lenght of time will vari with outside temp and how full you fill the smoker. 50 degre or lower makes a big dif in time. The batch I did today took 5 1/2 hours smoker 1/2 full outside temp was 60. I keep a pretty close eye on mine so I don't over cook it. I like mine a bit moist.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 aught,I have a little chief smoker...not sure of the temp..i also keep the smoker in the box..i had a full rack with large..Juicy..Oily Chunks of Springer :tongue: I just keep an eye on it...My son likes it as he says burned...but i like it more soft and moist...so i kept it in a little longer for him..the edges are harder and dark...but the middle is Soft..smoky and sweet ! :grin: Navigator :shocked: I'm not trying to rub it in..I just thought it would be a nice topic. :grin: Dylan..Married life is Way good !

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks guys,

I am replacing my thermostat and I tested the waters with it. It only reached 120 degrees. I built it out of the old refrig.
I want to get mine to atleast 220 so I can smoke other meat also.

Do you think alder is the best chips for smoking?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a question for you seasoned "smokers". I have a little chief smoker and when i fill up a pan with chips it only goes for about 45 before i cant see the smoke coming out of the lid. The couple batches i have done, i have filled the pan up about 10-15 times so i could continuously see smoke coming out of the time. The fish came out very well, but i must be doing something wrong to go through over a bag of chips per batch! help me out

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adam, In my opinion you only need two or three pans to get the smoke flavor and heat from the fuel, I also keep the smoker well insulated and away from the wind to keep the temp up by leaving the smoker in the box...Just keep it in as long as you want to achieve desired doneness (is that a word) :whazzup:
:shrug:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've got a "Big Chief". I went thru two or three boxes before I came upon the idea of insulating the smoker with "duct board. You don't need to insulate the door if yours is a front loader like mine, but it sure lets it get a lot warmer and it seems to do a lot better job in the fall and winter months. Neccesity may be the mother of invention, :tongue: but laziness is definately the father. :wink:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi, I have 2 little cheif smokers & alot of times run 2 batches at the same time. I have never tried useing a "box" someone please explain. Are you placing a cardboard box over the entire smoker? What's the chance of it being a fire hazard? The batch I did this weekend was in for 13 hrs before it was well done, I would like a faster method. I use 4 pans of chips per smoker.
Thanks for any advise. -Steve

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve, When talking about the "box" i mean that i cut out holes in the original box(pan and cord) to help insulate while smoking....It keeps the temp up and the wind off. I have only seen discolor from heat in the bottom of my box...but no real threat of fire :shocked: Finish time depends alot on thickness and personal preference. Hope this helped.

MrDorkfish

Louis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts