IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a mess of fresh filets. Need some salmon brine recipes for curing. Then off to the smoker they go. Thanks in advance ! ! ! :bowdown:

[ 08-26-2003, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: bigspif ]

·
Registered
784 Posts
Do a search....this has been discussed on several occassions. One example search that'll get you information would be "Brining Salmon prior to smoking" under the Ifish Community forum.

You're welcome, BIG TIME.
:grin:

[ 08-24-2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

·
Registered
837 Posts
This might help. I have done this smoking of salmon thing for over 20 years and have talked and helped many others. Like fishing, this smoking business can become a very complicated process.

The other day, after getting back from the coast, it was late, and we had a nice white chinook to smoke along with some extra silver filets. I needed to get the fish going and of course I was out of my usual brine mix.

So, I used a cup of rocksalt along with a gallon of water, used that as my brine, with nothing else added. Let it set for about 8 to 10 hrs, drained and let the salmon air dry for an hour or two. Took a cup of dark brown sugar, put enough water with it to make a pasty slurry and painted the fish with sugar. Let that set for a bit (~ 1hr) then smoked it over night, again about 8 to 10 hrs using alder chips.

a couple of tips learned over time

cut the filets in to 2" by 2" pieces. No larger than 3" by 3". Smaller pieces cure better and more surface area for the smoke to penetrate.

put your thickest pieces nearest the heat and the thinnest pieces further away, that way the fish will be more equal in terms of moisture.

About the worst mistake you can make is over cooking (smoking) the fish and making it jerky, unless you like fish jerky. If you do want to go the jerky route, be sure and rinse the fish extra befor smoking, the salt concentrates it self as the fish dries out more.

So check the fish about hourly after about 8 hours for texture.

add chips to the smoker on top of your chips that have just ash left, it all helps and you will get more even smoking

depending on your smoker, each 3 hrs you should add more wood chips, and after initial wood chip pan and 2 more pans dont bother adding more as your fish will be as smoked as possible.

let cool to room temp and then vacuum pack, and enjoy for the rest of the winter

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I use:

2 cups soy
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 cups of water
pinch of basil, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, splash of white wine vinegar, splash of tabasco, and chili powder.

I brine for about 12 hours. I do not wash off the fish, I put them directly in the smoker. I like my fish moist, and not washing them off leaves a nice glaze that traps in the oils.

·
Registered
352 Posts
this is one that I use, I perfer using the power instede of the salt. Found out the longer you keep in in the brine the dryer it is.

Smoked Salmon
Freezing your fish first will help to break down the meat's enzymes making it easier to accept a brine and speeding up the curing process.
Brine Ingredients:
2 Cups of brown sugar
1/3 Cup of salt (pickling or coarse)
2 Tbs. garlic salt/power
2 Tbs. onion salt/power
2 Tbs. celery salt/power
2 Tbs. dry mustard
2 Tbs. coarse black pepper
2 Tbs. sesoning salt
Mix ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. As this is a dry brine recipe, no liquids should be added. You will need a large 2 inch deep pan to cure fish in. Place fillets skin side down in your pan and coat heavily with brine ingredients. Cover with a piece of foil or Saran wrap and place in refrigerator for 8-12 hours. After salmon has cured for 8-12 hours remove from refigerator and rinse fillets off in cool water. Pat dry with paper towels and place on smoker rack. If you like a stronger tasting smoked salmon as I do, you can pepper lightly and brush fillets with liquid and brine left over in the bottom of the tray you used to brine your fish. Use either alder or apple wood for smoking. Smoke to desired doneness. Depending on the size and thickness of the fillets you are smoking, it can take anywhere from 4-6 hours to smoke.
If you want garlic or pepper smoked add it to the top before smoking(little garlic goes a long ways)
Ray G.

[ 08-24-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: ragjr ]

·
Registered
841 Posts
ragjr.. Looks almost like my receipe. So simple and if you want to do a hot pepper, cajin, or another dominate flavor... you can..

2 cups brown sugar
1/3 course salt
2T black pepper
1T each garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, dry mustard

I don't rinse my fish off after it brines. I put it on the racks and let it glaze over for about an hour before I start smoking it. Use Alder chips!

Took some smoked salmon to a party last night where it was a total hit... upon request I was writing the receipe on paper plates for them...

But when it came to my secret sauce for the halibut... my lips were sealed! :grin:

[ 08-24-2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: fishisabonus ]

·
Registered
756 Posts
bigspif - you got mail.

·
Registered
265 Posts
fishisabonus is right..

do not rinse, and never use water.

I got the same recipe from this site a few years ago... it rocks and it's simple.

I go skinless. I make 1" wide slits through the fillet to the skin perpindicular to the length of the fillet (Make sense?) then work the knife along the skin freeing the 1" strips of meat.

you end up with stips of smoked fish rather than big pretty fillets, but I don't care about pretty.

in strips with out skin you get smoke and brine on all four sides, rather than one.

use the same recipe for beef or game.

[ 08-24-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: local_hooker ]

·
Registered
352 Posts
thanks I try not to rinse it off next time. BUt when I do I lightly rinse it off adn let set untill it glazes over takes about 1 hr.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I use soy, garlic, brown sugar, pepper, dill,
red pepper flakes, maple syrup, and strawberry preserves. soak for 24 hours, smoke damp. Last hour of smoking make another basting sauce of
soy, brown sugar, pepper, garlic, and strwberry preserves. Bast the fillets so they creat a carmel coating. I call it salmon candy!

·
Registered
400 Posts
1 cup of rock salt
1 cup of sugar
2 gals of water
1 tbls of garlic salt
let set 18 hrs.
hose off and let drip dry
smoke to your preferenc

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I guess I must be a purist!! I use:
1/2 cup Mortons Tenderquick curing salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 quart water
Apple chips for smoking

I like the pure taste of the salmon so I don't use any other flavorings!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
For Springers I use:
appx. 1-part canning salt to 2-parts light brown sugar (taste and adjust to your liking), then dry brine overnight in a tray skin side down, light H2O rinse, set out and form pelllicle 1-3 hrs, smoke w/ALDER wood chips 4-8 hours, depending on thickness and load.
Note: Springers have such a delicious flavor, LESS seasoning IS BETTER. Enjoy the feesh!
Late Fall fish get pepper, garlic, and soy added.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
hands down greenbuttskunk has the best smoked salmon I have ever had and I have had alot. I would follow any direction he has to offer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The only thing I would add is don't forget your smoking fish. Rotate your racks if needed or take em out as they get done (firm to the touch) or what ever you prefer. Don't smoke to hot or to fast or to long. :cheers: Nothing worse than to raw in the middle or a rock. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have always used a "wet brine" and had to rinse fillets and dry (tacky) before smoking, however a few years back while in Canada on a fishing trip I tasted the best smoked salmon I have ever had...
Talk about "pure" and "simple"... one part pickling salt to two parts raw sugar (not brown, refined, etc)sometimes hard to find. It makes it's own liquid brine by morning and you don't have to rinse. I've used this recipe a half dozen times and never been disapointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts