IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alder is the best for smoked salmon - 3 pans. Mesquite is also good - 2 pans (also great for jerky). Hickory is pretty good, but no more than 2 pans, it's strong.

I don't like Cherry wood for fish, it gives the fish a weird bitter taste in my opinion. In fact, I don't like cherry wood at all for anything.

I've not tried apple on fish, but it's great smoking turkeys!

SKP

[ 10-23-2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
SS, sounds like a great recipe to me. I'm gonna have to give that a try with some of this batch!

SKP, thanks for the input on the Cherry. Now i'm kinda re-thinking my plan for Saturday. i'll probably just stick with the alder or, if the batch i'm making today comes out good, i'll stick with the apple.

Well, i'm on the 2nd pan right now and the Little Cheif is smoking away...probably annoying the neighbors :grin:

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
LuckySteelieFisherman , that Big chief really fits in there?? Now i'm gonna have to check that out....Never have thought of that...wow...Who..da thunk it :shrug:

thanks for the great idea.

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
1 part cream cheese (no non fat stuff please)
squirt lemon juice
squirt werchester (however you spell it)
chopped green onion w/ stems - half a bunch per block of cream cheese.
smoke salmon to preference.

put on some latex gloves and moosh away.... you wont be sorry - nor will your guests.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've been making my own smoked salmon/cheese spread for years - always a hit at work, parties and at home. Often use the tail fillet section and how much other ingredients is dependent on how much meat you get off the fillet. At any rate, I use a processor [could probably also use a blender] to do the blending and chopping of the fish and ingredients. For a medium to small tail section [one fillet] I start out with 2-3 8-oz. tubs of soft onion/chive cream cheese and at least 1 8-oz chive sour cream to thin out to consistency I want. Also add garlic salt to taste as I'm processing.

In regard to the different woods for smoking, I think that there is a big difference in some cases as I've noticed more in cool smoking cheese in my Big Chief. When I first got that smoker I tried this with hickory and in my opinion the flavor was a bit too harse for my preference. But it's a matter of taste - I fed it to Team Moose Drool and others last month at Sekiu and it was a hit. My latest batches of cool smoked cheese were done with apple, alder, and cherry, and an apple cherry 50/50 mix. I liked those better in the cheese - not harsh like the hickory IMHO. And by the way, I found that the Tillamook Cheddar held up better than other cheddars under cool smoking- it seems to be firmer and less apt to melt even under "cool" smoking.

While I have detected the taste difference of various woods in cheese, I can't say that I've noticed it yet in smoked fish of any kind. But I intend to experiment.

Right now I've got some baby back ribs in the smoker so it's time to close and get back with the program.

Dean

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I love smoked Salmon...I posted this picture a while back of some "candy" i made...choose whatever chip you like but don't forget to glaze/brush it with Brown sugar as often as you like :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
784 Posts
MDF - that picture is verging on obscene. :cheers:

Okay, lets have some specifics....this looks too good to pass over.
What kind of brine/brine process are you using to begin with. Then too, is the brown sugar you're basting with diluted in some way [dumb question] and if so what. What kind of smoker are you using and for how long [and how many pans of chips] are you smoking?

Thanks in advance. Dean

·
Registered
307 Posts
I enjoyed the best omlette ever this past weekend! Ingredients were, smoked springer, green & white onions, matsutake mushrooms, sharp Tilly Cheese. Ate till I floundered. :grin:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Born to fish, If i remember correctly...it was Springer...i got razzed for that..."never smoke springer" You get the quality smoked fish from the quality fish you put in that smoker :tongue: I use a very easy brine..1/2 cup non iodized salt..two quarts water...1 cup dark brown sugar little extras like garlic.....In at night...take out in morning...drain...air dry for about an hour. I prefer Alder chips, usually three pans, after each pan...brush with a mix of either melted butter and brown sugar or just water...make it THICK!! It will run off a bit but do it however many times you like..after it is done and has cooled a bit i give it one more shot of glazing... Candy :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Originally posted by Mrdorkfish:
I love smoked Salmon...I posted this picture a while back of some "candy" i made...choose whatever chip you like but don't forget to glaze/brush it with Brown sugar as often as you like :grin: MrDorkfish

Louis
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

/me does a Homer - "Mmmmm.... smoked salmonnn.... gaaahhh"

Beautiful!

StinkyH

[ 10-23-2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Here I sit at home smoking fish, watching the tube, and dreaming about the nice keeper gator that i'm gonna catch tomorrow up at Bonnie! :sleep: :smile: Oh, and of course, checking out IFISH :grin: Just wondering if anyone else out there has their smoker fired up and going today?

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Nope, not unemployed...just work the front half of the week!!! Sun-Tues and every other Wed 12.5 hour shifts. I love my schedule!! :cheers: Really frees you up to do some fishing during the week instead of on the weekend when you have to fight the crowds!

-jokester

[ 10-23-2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: jokester ]

·
Registered
556 Posts
My big Chief fits nicely in my fireplace. I'm finding doing a dry brine is extremely efficient. A little salt, pepper and brown sugar on top. Then about 8 hours in the smoker with 3 pans of Alder, Hichory and Cherry. :grin:

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Got Alder, Cherry, Apple, and Hickory in the garage. The last time I smoked, I did it with Hickory and it came out AWESOME. I've heard guys say that hickory is too harsh of a smoke for fish?? I'm smoking with Apple right now and plan on doing another batch Saturday with Cherry. Has anyone out there noticed a difference in taste with different chips, or is smoke just that....smoke? I've always wondered this :shrug:

-jokester

[ 10-23-2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: jokester ]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I can't really seem to tell the difference in wood flavor, but my dad says he can.

Hey here's a recipe I half invented a few months back that you might want to try with some of that smoked salmon. Very simple and everyone who has tried it says it's awesome.

Get a pint of whipped cream cheese and a half pint of onion and chive soft cream cheese.

Break up some smoked salmon by rubbing it between your hands to shred it so to speak.

You may want to microwave the cream cheese for a few seconds to soften it up even more. Then mix and blend and fold your smoked fish into the cream cheese's by hand. You can add pepper, salt or garlic salt to taste if you want. Add as much fish as you want or as little as you want. You have to kind of experiment so have a few crackers available when making it up.

This dip is awesome with wheat thins or ritz or any kind of cracker you like. My kids absolutely scarf this stuff. It also makes a good snack while you are waiting for Mr. Sturgie to bite.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Mr Dorkfish- Great looking smoked springer! I too like to baste mine with a mixture of brown sugar and yoshida's original. I'll have to try the melted butter and brown sugar though it sounds good.

I'm getting hungry!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with SKP, Cherry tends to have a bitter taste to it when smoking fish. I would stick with alder or another good one is go out and cut a few chunks of viney maple, I think you will really like the taste of it!!!! If the wood is green, make sure you take the bark off, because it can also cause a bitter taste.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Smoking up some of that Tillamook Bay salmon. Yum! Yum! :dance:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts