IFish Fishing Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
1 to 1 salt/ sugar is too much for me. I do 4 to 1 sugar to salt. Brine for 36hrs, first 12 at room temp then 24 in the fridge.
That's what I ended up doing. In some of the comments, there was a pointer to some discussion about how the sugar stimulates a beneficial bacteria, which competes with unwelcome bacteria. Also, I think it may end up that for a wet brine, a higher ratio of salt is needed to get the desired dehydration of the fish. So far in the experiement, the dry brining pieces are firming faster than the wet brined pieces. I may add more salt to the wet brine in a few hours if that continues.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I lucked into a springer a few weeks ago. It was either the largest jack or smallest adult springer ever. The meat up by the shoulders was beautiful. The meat by the tail was starting to change color. I cooked a shoulder the way I do almost everything. A few hours of smoke tube then screaming hot to finish it quickly on the grill. I dry brined the tail pieces and when they were ready, I put them in my grill over 2 burning smoke tubes. That produced around 125-140° for about 5 hours. Then I popped them in the oven at 170° for about an hour to finish up. Best results so far without a little chief. I did not love my results when trying to smoke fish with the pellet grill running on low/smoke.

Reactions: Spinitrode

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely have to agree with previous posts that low temperature is better. 100-120f for about 2-3 hours then a quick jump to 150 for about a hour to get it to that 140 internal temp that’s recommended. Cherry wood I find works great for the chinook. Another tip, try putting a tray of kosher salt in the smoker with your fish to use on your next batch. Gives that extra Smokey flavour to your brine. A few tablespoons of smoked paprika is also a nice touch in the brine. Curious if anyone has tried smoking sugar?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm my 20ish years of catching and smoking my own fish, I've never had any illnesses, nor has anyone else, smoking fish at a constant 120°. I always smoke part of my fish fresh, never frozen. Why even catch fish if you're just gonna throw it in a freezer? Might as well buy it from the deli at the market. The only time I've ever thrown a fresh fish in the freezer then take it out to eat soon after, was to make sushi.
You must not be a very good fisherman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anytime you finish up a recipe with even a pinch of cayenne, you obviously need to offer a cilantro and lime dip-drizzle! Very cool and refreshing and resets the taste buds.
Some guests like salty, some sweet, offering the cilantro reminds me of offering wasabi with tuna. You can dip every other piece so the sweet or smoke or salt is neutralized for whomever needs it. Of course they don't have to use it at all or just give it a try or as I do...use liberally.
Recipe: mix cilantro and lime in a blender, to taste. (I peel the lime)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have started adding fenugreek to my brines. I actually use fenugreek in all my fish dishes now. Allepo pepper is also a solid one to add into your brine. Kind of like smoked paprika but in my opinion it is far tastier.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts