IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I would do some cold smoked, nova lox style. It's easy and impressive, most people love it. Gravlax also an option since cold smoke when it's 100F outside is pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If cooking for immediate consumption, this is my recipe:
4:1 sugar to salt. brown and kosher is my usual. If using a smaller grained salt, go 5:1 or even 6:1. Small grained salt goes a long ways. Brine overnight.

get smoker smoking at 150 (typically the lowest for pellet smokers)

Pat fish dry, and smoke for about 1.5 hours straight from the fridge. I aim for about 110 or so internal. Size of fish will make this time vary. Pull fish, and get smoker/grill up to 350.

Once grill is hot, add more sugar (brown) to flesh, and hot smoke till internal 140-150 is reached at the thickest part. I'm not a fan of my salmon being overly moist, so I pull it at 145. 150 will be fairly dry, 140 will be fairly moist.

The sweet and salty caramelized crust that will have formed is to die for.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Experiment with the amount of wood chips. I found 3 pans of Alder was too smokey for my liking. 2 pans of Alder is perfect. Not overpowering. That's about three hours of actual smoke during the process.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
I made a batch of some blazing smoked summer steelhead and took to it work. I made it by slathering it with honey and Dave's insanity ghost pepper hot sauce. There was some guys at work who said they loved hot stuff. I was devouring it and loving on it. The other 4 were crying and breathing hard. One made the mistake of wiping his eyes with his hot sauce fingers. That only added to the comedy. That's one of my favorite recipes, but not many other's. 🤣

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
On smoking temp… I like to load up the rack from a big chief smoker and set it on top of the pellet smoker and then set the metal box from the big chief upside down over the top to make a cold smoke chimney.
And I like maple or pecan pellets.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
How do you guys get your chips to smoke at 110?

·
Registered
42,319 Posts
Ampersat: Those guidelines seem to be aimed at commercially prepared products utilizing different varieties of fish in unsanitary conditions. Also, smoked products destined for retail sales are required to be sanitized through heat as an over the top measure to protect the public. Has nothing (nothing) to do with home smoking and proper curing of salmon. Commercial processors cannot guarantee the same level of attention to every piece of product they produce so the government mandated heat method of sanitizing is used. Although some pathogens can survive curing, they are rarely (if ever) encountered especially in the fish we catch and process ourselves.

Remember, smoking is a time consuming project. If you rush it to dry faster (or for any other reason) by using excessive heat, you are BBQing. A person can air dry salmon for several days, it doesn't need to spend eternity in the smoker. If a person thinks it will spoil, the problem isn't air drying, it's the curing method that should questioned.

·
Super Moderator
9,362 Posts

Maybe you can glean something from reading this. Although I don’t smoke Salmon I have found this blog highly informative for slow smoking all kinds of meat.

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
Ampersat: Those guidelines seem to be aimed at commercially prepared products utilizing different varieties of fish in unsanitary conditions.
The document is from the University of Alaska Extension Service and it's titled "smoking fish at home". That doesn't seem like "commercial guidelines" to me.
Having recently survived ten days of stomach flu, food safety is front of mind for me these days.
If I'm eating my own smoked salmon, that's one thing. If I'm giving it away or serving it to guests, that's something else.

YMMV

Excerpt:
Producing high quality home-smoked fish is a popular recreational activity and a point of pride for many Alaskans. In earlier times, smoking was a form of food preservation; large amounts of salt and long smoking times were used to help preserve the fish. Now fish is smoked more for flavor and appearance. Today’s lightly salted and smoked fish is not a preserved product; the amounts of salt and smoke used are NOT sufficient to prevent bacterial spoilage. Most food poisoning bacteria can and will grow under the conditions normally found in preparation and storage of smoked fish. Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria that may cause botulism, is the most harmful of these bacteria.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
@2slow @Sneaker you guys just need to get the A Maze N smoke tubes. You take pellets, and I've also used chips, and light them with a blow torch. Get it rolling like a fat cigar and it will smoke on its own. All you gotta do is dial in your temp. I also use these in my small bbqs for smokey burgers and steaks. These things will out smoke many large pellet grills.

Reactions: marys netter

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another thing to note for anybody reading and learning is that if you aren’t going to bring the internal temp of the fish to 160 degrees during the smoking process then you have to make sure your fish is frozen (0 degrees f.) for two weeks or longer to kill any parasites or nematodes.

If I’m not able to freeze my fish for that long then I’ll smoke it at a low temp to the very end, and then crank it up to 160 degrees.

I’m sure there are many here that do not adhere to that rule and have always been fine, but I never care to test it myself.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
@2slow @Sneaker you guys just need to get the A Maze N smoke tubes. You take pellets, and I've also used chips, and light them with a blow torch. Get it rolling like a fat cigar and it will smoke on its own. All you gotta do is dial in your temp. I also use these in my small bbqs for smokey burgers and steaks. These things will out smoke many large pellet grills.
Blowtorch

Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Blowtorch or heating element to get the wood to smoke, it all ends up as the same end product. Look up the amazen smoke tube on you tube and check it out. It's a nifty little gadget.
I use a smoke tube all the time. Mix in half pellets, half chip of the day, light with propane torch. Let it burn for a minute or two, then blow out flames.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts