IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor caught a couple of halibut this weekend and asked me to smoke some it for him. He likes the salmon I smoke. I use a dry brine with brown sugar, salt, and a few spices. I've never smoked halibut before. It has a somewhat different texture and a lot less oil/fat than salmon. Do I treat the halibut the same as salmon? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A guy I know caught a halibut last year, he had a repitable outfit smoke it. it just wasnt very good. I tried smoking some a few years back after a trip to Alaska. same thing. me my ownself I don,t like it at all. good luck . if you find a good recipe I would like to try it out.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hare's ear---The secret to good smoked fish is the high oil content. Over the years I've tried less oily fish and always been disappointed.
As the fish cures in the brine it draws out the water. In an oily fish it tends to concentrate the flavor and give thet great texture. If the fish gives up the water and doesn't have the oil ---you get a real dry nasty tasting product that would have been much better deep fried. Deep fried halibut( or for that matter just fried )is a treat you'll pay big bucks for in a resturant
Don't smoke it.
Terry

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I brine it in the same stuff I do salmon in. I don't do a dry brine though. I cut into 2x2" cubes, marinate and then smoke. I 've done alder chips, but hickory works good with halibut too. Season with some spices afterwards. Throw the chunks in a bag while still warm add spices, shake, then let cool. Mine is always a hit.
I'll be doing some myself this week, hali fishing was good this weekend.
Good luck,
GBS

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, sounds like an iffy proposition. I think I'm gonna go ahead and try it anyway. Greenbuttskunk, can you help me out with brine time and the spices you coat the pieces with?

Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Brush the meat with some olive oil before curing. Other oils will work as well. Also, you really need to pay attention to the cooking time with halibut and other less oily fish. Smoke them till they just start to flake. Any more than that, and they will be dry and nasty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts