IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sharp cheddar on apple pie with a scoop of vanilla on top...I'd eat that again well before shad, because that's way past "not horrible"!

If I am fishing lings or halibut, I like to use sand dabs, salmon bellies, or tuna bellies for bait, that way I can eat the extras and enjoy it and my hands don't stink of shad all day.

Nobody should be afraid of balut. Eating an unhatched egg is no grosser than eating an unfertilized egg, if you think about what it really is. And many, many millions of people like it alot. It's just a little crunchier!

Shad roe sells for big money on the east coast, like 12-20 dollars for a set. That''s pretty expensive food, someone must like it quite a bit.
Debatable on unfertilized Vs unhatched. You can see a head and feathers! lol. Boil for an hour...crack at the top, drink juice, peel, smother in chili sauce mixed with fish sauce...told that is the way to go...

The curing process is actually pretty cool for the roe...just watched a youtube on it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When smoking shad try using hickory it gives a better flavor to the fish. That is what I used when I caught the in California.
Smokeploe
I use hickory as well. I just finished smoking 8 pounds of fillets and will be canned tomorrow. Can’t wait since I’m on my last two jars from last year.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Now that I think about it, I used hickory too. I forgot what chips I used. I usually use alder and apple for salmon, but I was out. All I had was hickory, and you guys are right. It is good!

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
"
Cheese on ice cream...never heard of such a thing...I will try anything once...next on the list is Belut!

I think the worst so far that i've tried was fermented soy beans... "

I won a four day liberty on a dare that involved eating Belut. I ate one and then barely made it off the boat before blowing chunks all over the staff car at the end of the gangway. Found out later that car belonged to the officer commanding our submarine squadron. Spent most of those four days on the beach trying to drink the smell and taste away. Good times. And no thanks on Belut. Hands down the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
"
Cheese on ice cream...never heard of such a thing...I will try anything once...next on the list is Belut!

I think the worst so far that i've tried was fermented soy beans... "

I won a four day liberty on a dare that involved eating Belut. I ate one and then barely made it off the boat before blowing chunks all over the staff car at the end of the gangway. Found out later that car belonged to the officer commanding our submarine squadron. Spent most of those four days on the beach trying to drink the smell and taste away. Good times. And no thanks on Belut. Hands down the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten.
I used to like balut. Then I had an incident when the chick was a little too mature. Haven’t eaten another one in years due to that experience, and this is after eating some almost every year during my youth and young adult years.

All that being said, the American palate is not known for its sophistication. Where else in the world are words like “fixins” and “good eats” considered mainstream vocabulary? And hot dogs and burgers and fishNchips are “gourmet”. LoL

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,447 Posts
I used to like balut. Then I had an incident when the chick was a little too mature. Haven’t eaten another one in years due to that experience, and this is after eating some almost every year during my youth and young adult years.

All that being said, the American palate is not known for its sophistication. Where else in the world are words like “fixins” and “good eats” considered mainstream vocabulary? And hot dogs and burgers and fishNchips are “gourmet”. LoL
I grew up on a farm with a family with what we'll say is very limited in their palate. Salt and pepper is as far as seasonings are allowed to go. Nowadays MOST all the cooking my wife and I do are Asian, Indian, African or Mediterranean inspired. There's so many amazing flavors out there that just aren't all that common around here quite yet. But tastes are definitely expanding as ingredient availability has definitely become much, much better in the last decade or so.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Here's a pic I took of some roe I did up a few years ago
View attachment 957012
you could have refrained from posting a picture as it sort of looks like something my dog left behind. A friend of dads always did shad roe and salmon roe in the oven layered into a thin layer and sort of pressed down. I remember it being quite crunchy almost a potato chip texture but then again it also had a layer of crushed fried onion on top.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We entirely replaced our tuna consumption last year with canned shad. Already got enough in one trip this year to can another year's supply. I just fillet, skin, smoke for an hour, then can with some salt. Makes delicious sandwiches. An electric fillet knife helps speed up the process.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You guys almost made me want to try it ALMOST!!! Then I remembered I had smoked Springer to eat😂🤣 you guys enjoy

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You guys almost made me want to try it ALMOST!!! Then I remembered I had smoked Springer to eat😂🤣 you guys enjoy
I plan on bringing some for sandwiches to Brownlee. You can satisfy your almost curiosity then, if you choose. And I too have smoked springer AND bull trout to eat, yet I also eat these buggers.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

Yup, me too. I was thinking of putting some Shad in the smoker, then I realized I had some old, freezerburned, generic hotdogs in the freezer........

Just kidding around! The smoked, canned Shad I've eaten was EXCELLENT!
BTW - The Shad I ate was smoked using Vine Maple.

Reactions: rowmanholiday
21 - 40 of 53 Posts