IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been invited to go camping with some friends on the 4th of July weekend that don’t really fish, and are going to Smith Rock. I see that it is on the Crooked River. I was just wondering what the fishing might be like their and what kind of fish?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
The crooked river at smith rock state park is loaded with whitefish. Rainbows are almost non-existant in that stretch as that section of river really warms up too much for bows to live comfortably. Still, the whitefish are fun. Any small nymph or orange scud about 24-30" under a strike indicator and the medium current or behind bolders in the slack eddies.
Have fun!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I believe there are also some smallmouth bass in that section of the crooked. I'm not sure, but have heard that.

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
IF you're tenting, be sure to bring the thickest pad you have. The camping area is like a very lumpy parking lot - more rocks than dirt, and very crowded. I've made a more comfortable bed in scree fields than that place.

Unless your friends are there for the climbing, Central ORegon has thousands (literally) of nicer places to camp.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
garyk,
Yes my friends are going climbing so thats where they want to camp.
I could live with the lumpy ground but I think Im going to stay home if its gona be that crowded.

I want to thank all of you for the great info.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts